What did you name your monk and why?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Jay42, Feb 25, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Mala-Shea Guest

I named him Slapp, ...these are some of the translations of definition in different cultures...

Chinese (Cantonese) - Slapp = huh?
    Mongolian - Slapp = what?
    Japanese = Slapp = /smiles and takes a picture
    Korean = Slapp = very close to Cantonese...wha..?
  2. ARCHIVED-Illustrious Guest

Dorfy, because im a dorf and my old name (bashar) was already taken when i did a server transfer =(
  3. ARCHIVED-GastonPhoebus Guest

My human Monk is called Wulong Bai. I did some basic Chinese name searches and found that Wu= martial, Long= dragon, and Bai= white. I created a human model with white hair in pigtail, bushy white eyebrows and beard, much like Pai Mei in Kill Bill. With the Jade Tiger title from DoF I feel that Wulong Bai is very true to American conceptions of a martial Monk (regardless of Norrathian origins).

It's been a blast to claim authorship of all the Teachings of Master Wu and I can't wait to get the new EoF class armor that is called Wu's something-or-other.

: )
  4. ARCHIVED-Tazdragon Guest

My monks name is Karakka, I used to have a monk in EQ1 called Karrac.

I love the way my name sounds, like bones breaking
  5. ARCHIVED-greyfin Guest

"Caijia Quan"

Knowing that there were 5 mains schools of "Animal Style" kung fu, and also knowing I was going to make a rat, I searched wikipedia (distractipedia if you are at work)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Kung_Fu

Now, who knows how accurate that is (not me). I found several other entries across the web that supported the same claim, but then, alot of people rip content from Wikipedia, so that's no assurance. Irregardless, I was satisfied that it was a reasonable cool name for my rat, and so she is "Caijia Quan".

In EQ1 my girlfriend and I made Rangers once named "Pignoli and Pignolia". I love telling that story because I was so convinced that people would find it funny, but no one ever got it. Pignoli are "Pine Nuts"... hehehe (I still laugh at my own jokes, since someone has to).

Btw... what an old post (just noticed when the thread started :))

note: Edited because I linked the wrong school... linked Snake school. Rat is descended from snake.
    Message Edited by greyfin on 11-27-2006 09:15 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Hannalynn Guest

Message Edited by Hannalynn on 12-10-2006 10:48 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

Selcuk (or Seljuk) does not have an exact translation, said to be "short but destructive water flood" in Ancient Turkish, also name of a old Dynasty however it is my real name :)
    Message Edited by selch on 11-26-2006 11:34 PM
  8. ARCHIVED-Tawyn_Ascendant Guest

Tawyn Ascendant:
    Tawyn - was a random generated name in DAoC for my friar who was my first ever char to reach a cap level & became my main. From there to CoH where she was a martial artist & then to EQ2 as a monk. Now I wouldn't consider a game if I couldnt play Tawyn in one of these type of roles ... not that I plan on playing anything else anytime soon :D
    Ascendant - in DAoC again, had an rp wedding with a guildmate & took on his surname & as Taw has followed through each game, so the surname has also come with her.
  9. ARCHIVED-Quind Guest

Kirashin Stoneroot - Kirashin because it sounded good when I was putting random syllables together, and Stoneroot because I spend most of my time tanking on her. I get rooted and stony and things go "wth, this leather thing isn't going sploot?!" It wasn't until my roommate told me that I realised Stoneroot was also part of Depths of Darkhollow. >.< Not enough to make me change her surname now though. She's grown attatched to it, like.
  10. ARCHIVED-wesbarlow Guest

Named mine Smoke. was the name of my first toon on eq2 that was an assassin then i rerolled him over to Grobb when it opened up as a monk and just kept the same name. i later found out that Smoke is the name of some comic strip monk from eq1, which i never played. I still get asked about the comic a lot though...heh
  11. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Human Monk: Klornie Shadowfist. I named her Klornie because when I made my EQ1 Monk evey name I tried was taken and I ended up with a random Generated name Clronie(Wich I could never pronounce so I mentally dubbed it Klornie). Shadowfist is my EQ1 monk's family name I took it because I saw another monk with the name Dancingfist and though the fist part sounded cool. when I got on to EQ2 I decided to make Klornie a descendant of Clronie.

Tier'Dal Monk:Kurayami Sundancer. Kurayami means absense of light in Japanese kinda like a moonless night, I think. I choose Sundancer after several sirnames because I figured since she had "betrayed" her people she had no reason to follow Thexian Naming conventions.
    Message Edited by Zabjade on 11-29-2006 01:05 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

I just started a monk. Ok to be honest, I started a Fae and decided that monk would be one of the neatest classes for a Fae. It's also my first female toon.

Her name is Nicht which is German for not. Her last name will be Verstanden, which is german for understood. I don't really know how I came up with a: Blonde, Fae, German, Female Monk, but hey, it works :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Fleaball Guest

Fleaball
    Cuz I was thinking Fleabag or Furball when I was typing it in and accidentally mixed them together and hit enter. :p
  14. ARCHIVED-Camibella Guest

Sarynety Sorrowsong
    Being an old EQ1 player I always loved PoT and Saryan (too bad the zone offered horrid xp no one ever wanted to go there!).
  15. ARCHIVED-Crunion Guest

first one was : Choo Manfu
    2nd one was : Gnomfu - gnome monk.
  16. ARCHIVED-Monstage Guest

Minchling Twichlingfinchling
    level 30 female Ratonga Monk
    I have absolutely no idea why, but why the hell not?
  17. ARCHIVED-Gamer1965 Guest

I named my first monk Leroi Brown.

I got that from the verse in a song by Jim Croce, titled "Bad, bad Leroy Brown"

And its bad, bad leroy brown
    The baddest man in the whole [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] town
    Badder than old king kong
    And meaner than a junkyard dog

And he was known for his special brand of kung-fu, "Junkyard Dog" ;)

My second monk is named Khalil, which in Swahili/Arabic means 'friend' and I hope to take the surname (only lvl 13 atm) of Kamau, which in Swahili means 'quiet warrior'. So he becomes a friendly quiet warrior ;)
  18. ARCHIVED-Carodor Guest

Carodor De'Fate

My first toon was a monk in EQLive, I used the random name generator and it came up with Carodor. I hit level 30 before somebody pointed out to me that my name was Car - odor lol. Seriously I had no idea as most either called me Car or Caro. Later on as I came up in levels... many people asked me if I was the original Carodor. Apparently there was a bard with the same name on one of the first huge raiding guilds early on in the game.

De'Fate is simply a tribute to the guild name I was the guild leader of in EQlive for so long.
  19. ARCHIVED-cptvimes Guest

Jose Jones(pronounced Hoe Zay.... not Joe C)
    Two reasons....
    First, I was choking on what I felt were the cliche names like 'Sir Golden Toes of the Gnome Squashing Clan Ubex' and many other great ones.... No offense to any 'Sir Golden Toes' out there.
    Second, my Monk enjoys listening to 'The Pixies' and he asked me to name them after one of his favorite songs. It was either that or 'Jose the Asparagus Hater'.
  20. ARCHIVED-shaolen Guest

"Shaolen" was the name of my monk in the original EQ way back when. I chose the name out of respect for the discipline and dedication the Shaolin monks are known for. My last name "Law" was chosen because of my RL profession.