Well thrown over 600 pumpkins so far, no mount.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by The_Real_Wurm, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Shmogre Well-Known Member

I think the saddest part about all of this is that it is burning some of the fun and goodwill that was built up after the Tinkerfest PQ. People were excited to have an event that was just meant to be fun. Even the "grind" part was mitigated by being able to get ingredients after the event was over, and it encouraged cooperation and communication among the players. But now the grind is back and people are isolating themselves to throw throw throw (I know it's voluntary, but in general, folks want to participate and enjoy these events).

I feel people would have been more happy with a lower-stat mount that was a bit easier to get (the "fun" part)...we are suckers for mounts and titles. Add in the fact that some folks on Live were able to get the now unavailable lower-stat mount when it was first activated because they had leftover pumpkins, and it's causing frustrations.

Kaitheel is an awesome dev and I hate to see the grumbling this is causing. I sincerely hope DBG reconsiders and makes the holiday events fun again.
  2. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I wish I could like this more than once. I have been drafting/deleting a comment along these lines/this sentiment since the event started. Especially the comparison of the "feeling" from Tinkerfest to NoTD. As you stated, it is voluntary to participate in the pumpkin tossing. BUT come on, it is part of the event. The mount is part of the event! Let me at least have a reasonable chance at it.

I already feel defeated and, so far, haven't tossed the amount of bombs others have (the ones in the thousands). Is this really where you want a player to be? Is this reasonable? Is this fun?
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Ceyllynn and 6 others like this.
  3. Spindle Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the grumbling on the ridiculous grind for the mount. I have a no-name bat mount on my little wizzy from a couple of years ago. When I look at her achievements for NOTD I note she had thrown 1000 freaking pumpkins in 2014, when she was sub level 70, to get some prize, could have been the mount, I'm not sure. However, that is totally out of the question with current event model. Heck the pupler achievement is locked at 175 out of 250 for a couple of alts. Number doesn't move even tho' i've tossed over 500 freaking gourds on one of them.

Yes, I agree that 'quests' like this take the fun out of events. Not sure why we are all being 'punished' for wanting to enjoy events. Trying to excuse the grind as 'well, it's NOTD and supposed to be evil' is just a crock of excrement of choice.

I purposely am trying for the mount on sub 95 alts as we were informed the event was doable on sub 100 characters. Now, i'm thinking that is not so. I'm just a little to aggravated to try on my 100 characters to test that out. I don't want to ruin the event for all alts if the 100 characters get the flipping mount easily.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I and a couple others have been having pumpkin bomb parties in front of the North Qeynos Tradeskill building, we have invited anybody and everybody to come join as well as encouraging those around to grab the mysterious pumpkins off the ground rather than letting them decay. So far I have lobbed over 750 pumpkins and no mount, some others have thrown more. I already had the achievement for 1000 pumpkins 2 years ago so none are counting towards that. I cannot farm candy fast enough to keep holding these "parties", but doing it this way, a few people lobbing pumpkins gives everybody there a shot at a mount as there are other bodies to lob at.

Cyrrena
    Shmogre and Spindle like this.
  5. Shmogre Well-Known Member

:(

Similar here. We had fun when NotD started, but then hundreds of throws (and many urns) later, plus lots of friends saying they'd had similar bad luck, and we just kind of deflated.

It's a shame that this is casting a shadow on the rest of the holiday offerings. I enjoyed the grave digging and the Broken Mirrors quest. For the first time in a long time, I'm running around without my mount so I can enjoy the Gigglegibbler Nights of the Dead illusions (there are some *awesome* ones that pop up). I giggle at the creepy ghost girl that pops up randomly wherever I go. I killed a gazillion skeletons on Nek beach to get my "Bone Daddy" title (and I wasn't alone...told you we are suckers for titles <grin>).

It's still a good holiday with awesome art and quests, but the crazy RNG grind for the mount is hitting a sore spot that a lot of players have right now. Call it a form of PTGD...post-traumatic grind disorder. <grin>

(I do wish I had saved up pumpkins from last year, darn it...then I could have grabbed the first mount before it was removed.)
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Cyrrena and 4 others like this.
  6. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I threw 2,300 pumpkins. I spent all day Saturday repeating a 9 second action (well, did rounds on alts for pony candy, wound up catching up on face book between throws, so I could have thrown a lot more if I'd kept time without distraction, I suppose?)
    I piped up on Discord over the course of the day, suggesting maybe an achievement after 1000 pumpkins so people don't wind up throwing pumpkins and getting frustrated for days on end with no reward, {deleted this bit since I'm sure my post would be removed if I quoted what Kander said [it wasn't bad, just... surprising and disheartening], but it's on Discord if any one has an account there and whats to read it... Basically, no hope of a fix because it's meant to be rare...so yay, right? Oh, and apparently, Discord is not the place to voice our discontent at all...)
    (Conversation happened 11pm -ish october night of the 7th till the 8th date change marker on Discord general channel)

They really know how to keep people wanting to cough up the $, right? I've been playing since 2004 for all but one year (was a tough financial year and they didn't have FTP yet) but the straws keep piling up on this busy camel's back.

On a brighter note, he did say they might make plushies of the bat available by the end of NOTD, which would be awesome for us decorators. (I want about 20 of them for a haunted house! lol)
    Also on a brighter note, at least the rare collectible from the original pumpkin collection will be more reasonably priced now, so more writable tombstones.
    Tedrenna, Nella and Spindle like this.
  7. Spindle Well-Known Member

Ultra rare? That makes the decision to stop wasting my time and corn on pumpkins and concentrate on the fun aspects of NOTD. Yeah, the straws are starting to pile up for this long time player, too.
    Tedrenna likes this.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

I'm getting pretty sick of the devs adding grindy annoying BS just for the sake of having a grind. They trot out the excuse that "well the stats warrant rarity" ignoring the fact people are asking for the stats to be removed just so they get a shot at a mount.

If they put a non-stat version up for candy corn on the merchant or add it in as a more common pumpkin reward people wouldn't be nearly so irritated. Shoot, if they just put the rare one up for an absurd number of candy corn people would be less annoyed because it removes the random annoying part. It's not like you are running a fun dungeon for the mount, you are just standing in one spot, pitching pumpkins at a willing subject for hours on end hoping the gods of the RNG bless you.

Seriously, someone already said they have thrown 9000 pumpkins, that's 18000 candies. They could just stick a 25-30k candy price tag on it and be done with it instead of giving people just one more thing to be irritated about with the game.
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Eltee and 8 others like this.
  9. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

We play games to escape reality. Throwing big chunks of "life's not fair" in the form of "Not every one will get it no matter how hard they work for it" is not how you keep people subscribing to a fantasy based game. :\
    I'm not saying hand it to us now, but I am saying don't leave it open ended for unlimited failures.
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Nella and 3 others like this.
  10. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Sigh. That's unfortunate, especially after the success of Tinkerfest. Holidays should be fluffy fun, with the ability to get cool stuff and maybe some middle-stat gear. There really was no need to add a raid-level mount to a purely-for-fun event, especially one that relies strictly on pure RNG. :(
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Finora and 5 others like this.
  11. Shmogre Well-Known Member

I found the conversation on Discord (I've posted a screenshot on the other forums if anyone is curious). Kander said three things about the bat mount:

1. He said it's rare, it's not going to be automatic, not everyone is going to get it.
    2. He will talk to the team about adding the lower-stat mount to the merchant (not clear if he meant this year or next).
    3. He said they could possibly get a plushie version out before end of NotD this year.

So boo, super rare bat mount; provisional yay, maybe a lesser-stat bat mount coming to the merchant; and hopeful yay, bat plushie might be available before the end of this event.

(I hope the bat plushies are sold for candy corn (and not a silly-large amount), because I'd much rather spend my corn on those than on the bombs. :) )
    Tedrenna, Cyrrena, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  12. Tekka Well-Known Member

I don't know what Kander's exact answer was, and I have no interest in signing up for their Discord to find out, but I'm not surprised. It sounds like it's about along the lines of the: If you don't like it, don't play the game. quote that's floating around out there.

I got the first one on my main Doing Things character, but didn't get it on the alt I wanted it for, for appearance. And now it doesn't look like I'll get one. I have over 80k candy corn, that doesn't mean I want to waste it, or my time, on nonsense like this.
    Tedrenna, Crastinal and Cyrrena like this.
  13. LordTiras Well-Known Member

I'm just curious how folks can get so many candy to be able to even try this many? If I wanted to try to win the bat I would have maybe 30 or 40 attempts... o_O
  14. Shmogre Well-Known Member

The ugpraded tradeskill pack pony can bring back holiday harvests, which helps a lot (especially if you have alts).
    Cyrrena and Prissetta like this.
  15. Tekka Well-Known Member

Personally I have 15 upgraded pack ponies I have been sending out for the past... years. And not a whole lot to spend the candy corn on every year. But my stockpile shouldn't be the baseline for attempts needed for everyone.
    Alenna, Cyrrena, Shmogre and 3 others like this.
  16. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of alts with upgraded pack ponies and I buy candy all year when I remember to check. I had 28,000 candy corn in my depo before NOTD started this year and the other candies I have 1,000s of. (very nice for big decorating projects during the year.)
    Who says being a hoarder is a bad thing? =P

That another good point about ultra rare RNGs on a holiday item though. New players will barely have a chance. /..\
    Cyrrena, Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Yet another grind/rng combo added to the game eh? This time for a world event. Maybe one day it will be noticed that THEY ARE NOT FUN IN ANY WAY.
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Malleria and 3 others like this.
  18. LordTiras Well-Known Member

lol of course, pack ponies. I should have guessed... :D
    Shmogre likes this.
  19. Sure Active Member

Thought I'd update all the throwers on something discovered during some late light rambling in gen chat the other night on this topic.

The mount apparently is not even in the loot table/box that you get awarded when you throw a pumpkin. So it may have been ninja patched out after a few people disco'd on each server, for what ever unknown reason(s). Look at the what ever spirit of giving link/loot box thing is, you'll see everything it awards, no mount in that lot, just shinies, titles and those urns...

So save your pumpkins and wait for the official announcement that the pumps will start rewarding mounts on rare occasion. Just a heads up, maybe save a few of you from some insanity. Though it would have been nice to know that they had patched it out.
  20. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the rate isn't too low, but your math is off by 2 orders of magnitude.

One in 10000 would be .0001, which is .01%