Well thrown over 600 pumpkins so far, no mount.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by The_Real_Wurm, Oct 6, 2017.

1. LordTiras Well-Known Member

This is correct, apparently it's a separate check and reward, per the thread in the beta forum. It's not in the main list. I suspect this means that you could get, say, an urn AND the bat, that it is on a second random check, but I'm not sure of that. Just suspicion. Also there was discussion in the beta thread that this bat might be level 100 adventurer only (meaning you must be 100 to win it, even though it works at level 35). That conversation was never fully resolved, based on what I was just reading. So it could be a combination of people not being 100 adventurer and a silly low percentage chance making this thing seem impossible to get. FWIW, I have yet to see anyone on live with one, but I've only spent a few hours over there. I know there are some people on HoF that have been on near constantly chucking pumpkins. I suspect this is why, and they haven't gotten it. :/
  2. Ozymundas Active Member

I don't mind low drop rates for such desirable items, but this is beyond silly. I'm 100 and I have thrown thousands of pumpkins (thank Tunare for pack ponies), and I have yet to see the mount. Can we at least put a cap on the number of pumpkins thrown when the mount is automatically rewarded. Even a ridiculously high cap would save us from a hateful RNG.
  3. Castegyre Well-Known Member

It's on a loot table, just one where you wouldn't see it...
    Tekka likes this.
  4. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

My live "main" is level 96 and got it so you don't need to be level 100 nor own the expansions. And the sad part is that I only meant to do the collection and not get the bat as I don't intend to play on live. I ended up having to throw pumpkins for the collection with already the bat in my mount tab. And I do feel very bad about it.

Meanwhile, as I waited the last patch to test it on Test to see if it still worked (with no luck obviously), I don't have it and will probably never have it on the char that is actually interested by it *rolls eyes*
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Maybe they could add it in to where when you hit say 2000 pumpkins you would get the mount as an award. I already finished the achievement for 1000 years ago, they could add achievements for say 1250, 1500, 1750, which would give titles, then the mount at 2000.

Cyrrena
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  6. Ozymundas Active Member

7000 and still counting. I've invested so much time into it, I feel obligated to see it through...
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  7. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

This is exactly the kind of customer they want.

By the way, using the word "invested" is a real stretch. Kind of silly to call dumping money into a slot machine an investment. You are spending your time energy, and money; not investing it.
    Crastinal, Tekka and Castegyre like this.
  8. Ozymundas Active Member

Look up the definition of "invest." I've "spent" time with the expectation of a payoff. That's exactly what investment is.
  9. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Not sure if it helps or not, but the 2300 pumpkins I threw were on a lvl 100 toon and didn't get the new bat mount.
    I'm actually wondering if there was some sort of glitch (or intentional punishment) for those who got the fiirst bat in the weeks before NOTD was released on live. I had 6 of the discontinued bat mount on the lvl 100 character I was trying to get the new bat mount on.
    I felt the same way till I started getting a migraine, then I took it to Discord and was basically told to go away by Kander. :\ The attitude from the dev was almost enough to make me want to pull my subscription, honestly. What was the point of the EQ2 discord channel any way? o.0
    Tedrenna, Crastinal and Wreakinn like this.
  10. Finora Well-Known Member

Kaitheel indicated that it was not level restricted, just increased in rarity from the original mount version. So unless they added a level restriction on getting it between when it was implemented on test and it going live, then adventurer level shouldn't have anything to do with it.

11. Alenna Well-Known Member

a couple of years sending 9 pack ponies out for harvestibles. 30K+ candy coins.
    Shmogre likes this.
  12. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Incorrect. A pay-off is a payment made, ex: bribe, reward, debt.

An investment is a monetary asset that is expected to provide income in the future, or can be sold at a profit over cost. It can also mean deferring consumption today for the acquisition of wealth.

Marketers like to convince us that a cost is an investment because it helps people rationalize spending decisions.

The idea of investment or payoff here is being substituted for a gamble, which is what this is. Each time you throw a pumpkin, you're rolling dice. There is no investment, you're throwing your time, energy, and money into a slot machine because roll is an independent event with almost no probability if success.

Note, that any gamble or bet can deliver a pay-off : cost of bet -> random outcome -> profit or loss. The key is to hone in on the odds of success, which in this case, are practically non-existent, making it a bad bet.
    Tedrenna, Crastinal, Wreakinn and 4 others like this.
  13. Ozymundas Active Member

By your reasoning, there can be no bad investments, only gambles, when they are essentially the same thing. I never said it was a good investment or gamble. I said I had spent so much time at it already that I felt obligated to see it through. If it makes you feel better, you can call this a metaphor.
  14. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Although both gambles and investments involve risk, they are not the same thing. This is why I used the example of the slot machine.

The feeling you are describing is not uncommon, it's known in the literature as "gamblers fallacy", which is essentially the idea that if you keep putting money, or time, it energy into a series of gambles, its bound to lay pay off.

The key feature here is that each gamble is independent of the others, so previous gambles have no influence on future gambles. You have exactly the same probability each time, which in this case, is so small, that it is likely approaching zero.

Now, to be fair, if you are enjoying these gambles, then great! It's resources well spent. If not, then it's irrational to keep playing them because you are incuring heavy opportunity costs (i.e. your time, energy, and money might be spent better elsewhere on activities that will lead to the outcomes you want).

I wasn't trying to call you out of belittle you, and my apologies if I made you feel they way. I've been beating this drum a while because as long as people keep paying dbg and others not to have fun, then there companies have no incentive to change what they are doing.

And it's that very feeling you describe that keeps people doing it-that sense that they don't want to lose all they have built or worked for in the game, even if it means they aren't getting the outcome they want.

Ignoring sink costs can be hard to do, but it's perfectly rational. What's spent has been spent, we can't get it back. The only thing that matters is the decision to be made right now: is the game fun or not? If not, do something else. This is why the probabilities are important, why they are rigged to be super low, and a release is increasingly showing up in the cash shop.

If your ok with buying this stuff, great. If not, we just incentivize dbg to keep doing this stuff.

TLDR: DBG knows players have this feeling and are reluctant to walk away if the quality if the game is deteriorating. And they are manipulating it to extract more money from players. If this works for you, great. If not, don't don't fall for sink cost and gamblers fallacies. They are expensive.
    Crastinal, Dude, Tekka and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tabbyclouds Member

Not sure if they fixed this already(before today's update) or I was just very lucky - got it on my lvl 31 who is the character I wanted to get it on, after 25 throws. (Hides from pumpkin pulpers) So definitely isn't level restricted. Also, I am on SH so no pack ponies for me, just good old fashioned collecting.
  16. Wreakinn Member

3000+ pumpkins down and way more plat than I care to admit. I cannot believe there is no hard cap coded in as well. No % chance bumps for those who have thrown x amount of pumpkins, or some line of code that a highschool kid could come up with. Nope, just "the RNG is very tough, good luck".

Shame on me for gambling, I should know better. When my current bomb stores are done, I'm done with this event. This isn't fun, it's a jack. If the devs want the mount to have that kind of exclusivity, fine. I'm going to spend my time telling everyone and their mother not to waste time with this event, too.
    Tedrenna likes this.
  17. Stach Well-Known Member

9000 DBC is shows up on the Market Place........

Stach
  18. Mavet13 New Member

Each time you throw a pumpkin, you get the following message: "you receive the spirit of giving".

Given that Helloween comes during your Thanksgiving day, maybe it means that, in order to receive the ultra uber rare mount, you have to give first? like it's linked to the amount of people who will gather your thrown pumkin?

wild guess really
  19. Sinhika Well-Known Member

*waves* I saw you there with one of my babies that I recently started on A-B. You smacked me in the face with pumpkins repeatedly. This thread makes me sad, because it means there's no point my babies buying pumpkins with their handful of candy corn and throwing them; I'm better off saving them for making NotD recipes. (My babies are too young to have advanced pack ponies yet. Hell, my Stormholders who moved to Maj'Dul still don't have advanced pack ponies--though they are gleeful about their shiny new standard pack ponies and gathering goblins! Woot, don't have to gather all those raw materials by hand anymore!)
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with people gathering pumpkins. It is solely you throwing them.