The new vampire lore is a joke

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Homeskillet, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-DarkDragonXX Guest

I don't like the NotD lore...thats kinda dumb, the lore you wrote up is really good, even tying in the name Freethinker with Freeblood.
    All I can say though is at least the lore didn't summerize as:

"While antonia bayle was in high school, she met this mysterious guy..."
  2. ARCHIVED-lemey Guest

i suggest runing through the quest line again gninja it leaves you in absoulutly no doubt infact if marcus wasnt ment to be a vampire then the conversation texts are wrong and its gonna take a retcon to correct the story
  3. ARCHIVED-Maergoth Guest

Gotta say.. I've been playing this game since launch and an advocate of how, though incredibly complex, consistent the lore is.

I don't know whether to ROFL at all of this or facepalm. Maybe a combination of both. Come on.

I don't know if I like adopting a player's handwritten fairytale, but I'd rather hear "Oh, one of those times you fought Mayong.. yeah.. he bit you, sorry."
  4. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

Dont get me wrong, I dont think they should honestly adopt my story either. It was more to show, "hey you have all these really amazing and interesting plot points you could have gone with instead of this NOTD government conspiracy schlock, hell i came up with something in a few minutes."
    Their response to that was to try to argue a plot point then tell me in game stuff wasnt canon and i have a lame attitude.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gisallo Guest

Any one else notice that they basically created a dhampir alla vampire hunter D? Tres lame if u ask me. I get wanting a new race and all, but if u are going to do it it needs to be consistent with existing lore and this is clearly an attempt to rope in the Twilight crowd. What's sadder is that the Twilight boat has about sailed. Typical SOE really, a day late and a dollar short.
  6. ARCHIVED-Taemien Guest

On the subject of Marcus, what exactly is involved in the ritual to try to make him a vampire? If its outlined in the zone, let me know, just might have to drag some guildies through there to run it again.
  7. ARCHIVED-kelvmor Guest

Galibier@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Original model orc player race would be excellent. You've already got two things: A zone that'd be great as a starter place and an enemy to destroy for starter quests. Zek, the Orcish Wastes; a Deathfist orc serving, for now, under Emperor Agtak, fighting off the Green Hoods.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cronyn Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    Heya folks! I thought I'd pop in here to help a bit.
    So, I wanted to assure you that the lore for the vampires is indeed tied to bigger events and characters. The piece that was posted was mostly intended to be more of an overview, and was intentially more vague. I was hoping to get you all talking, and they start releasing more pieces fo the puzzle to have you work into your discussions. Unfortunately, it clearly did not work how I intended it to, and I apologize for that. What you see (and have surmised) is not the entirety of their origin, and there is more still to be told - I didn't mean to give the impression that this was all you would be seeing.
    Again, my apologies, everyone. I'll try to fill in the blanks here sooner rather than later.
    Thanks again, guys. You all are awesome. :)
  9. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Cronyn wrote:
    Thank you, Cronyn. If only some of the other developers could be more straightforward and humble with public relations like you are.
  10. ARCHIVED-Wilin Guest

Homeskillet wrote:
    Yes, and that's what Morghus asked for.
    "make a raid boss/npc run away if they aren't really dead, or show some appropriate scene and dialogue"
    If she flies away at 50% health or 0.000001% health, it does appear that Delahnus does use the scripted mechanic that was asked for.
  11. ARCHIVED-Wilin Guest

I don't see the problem with the NoTD lore linkage as long as they flesh it out correctly. This first bit of lore leaves much to be desired however.
    // SPOILER //
    In the Somborn NoTD quest for any that may have forgotten or never did it, you are knocked unconscious and wake up to investigate a string of murders. You find out that they were murdered by vampires and have become vampires themselves. You discover that you yourself were the murderer and you do not cast a reflection in the mirror in the house.(ala vampire lore) And your character walks away with a sense of foreboding after "solving" the mystery.
    The lore of a seasonal quest series should be worth no less than the lore of a persistent quest series(ala Ravenscale). They both happened in game so they should both be canon. I can't explain away the Marcus issue that is being brought up. But, downplaying the importance of the NoTD lore is unnecessary.
    That is why it makes more sense to me that we can have a free race change to the vampire. It's exactly what the race change potion on the marketplace does so the tech is already in the game. So, when an account is flagged for the vampire race through whichever means, provide a single charge (1/account) race change pot as a claimable item that only changes to the vampire race.
    Thanks!
  12. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

except that the lore states the Freeblood are the ones that died. we didin't die. this is saying that before you investiagted the house...several others attempted to. none of them made it back out, adn it's their bodies that are the new 'freeblood' hence we, the adventurers are not transforming into freebloods.
  13. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Freebloods are all members of the purple club. :D
  14. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

One of my alts couldn't make it past Sarkon at the end of the mansion.... am I gonna have to put him down now? And where the heck do I find consecrated soil to bury his carcass in? hmmm... well, I suppose my Necro could always use him for kitchen staff or something in her new estate.
  15. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

Cronyn wrote:
    I appreciate you coming out and at least addressing it. To be honest though the problem was the lore was not anything thought provoking, it did not instill a desire to know more. You know it, and I know it, that the you guys took one of the biggest, probably most desired additions (and not even by me at that), a vampire race, and put them out with what seemed like a rushed, sloppy and dull introduction. It doesn't have puzzle pieces anyone wants to decipher. When called out on it, a non-lore dev responds back in a catty manner at best, and only serves to open another can of worms.
    Believe me, if there is more to it, awesome, hope it is much better. The question I have now thanks to Gninja, is what the hell is canon in game, and what isn't? The Venekor encounters were clearly not canon up until the point we stopped seeing him, but I guarantee this Thex Royal line issue would have been left untouched for quite some time like so many other loose ends.
  16. ARCHIVED-Iskandar Guest

Cronyn, the combination of those original undead-crack-ho pics and a lore peek that, honestly, sounded like something whipped up at the last second by someone put on the hot-spot made this whole thing seem pretty laughable. The new pics of the models make up for part of that -- the pics of the race look very good now, even if it is still just a buncha half-dead Range--err, Elves
    Now we just have to wait and see if the new race will have some decent lore to back it up... something a bit deeper and involved than some conspiracy-ladden Nights of Fail would be appreciated
  17. ARCHIVED-DeBasilisk Guest

Seems to me most likely that the NotD events were probably orchestrated by one of the great vampire forces. That's why the lore we've seen seems a little off - we just don't know enough. I dislike Vampires in general, but I'm willing to give the Devs the benefit of the doubt...for now. =)
  18. ARCHIVED-Aerfen Guest

Masako@Lucan DLere wrote:
    THIS would have been WONDERFUL - A New Tunaria/Felwithe overhaul has been asked for so many times and the Thex-vampirism loose thread the OP mentioned could have been the perfect place in the lore for it. What a missed opportunity SOE... for shame.
  19. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Now is SOE going to ADVERTISE the Vampire race in TV and Hulu Spots? I hear too many people in game shops INCLUDING those behind the counter, either never having heard of EQ2 or goggling that it is still around.
    I'm guessing that not everyone was transformed into the undead. Just those who might have been hand-picked as it where the rest fought off the "curse" as a temporary Mez, probably the same with the Werewolf bit but that is more like a temp buff with a Harclave addition.
  20. ARCHIVED-OutcastBlade Guest

You know. It never fails. You always get SOMEONE, ~cough~ Solufein ~cough~, coming in and ruining my dream of playing a crack addicted vampire with a cheesy backstory.