The Behemoth

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Sartredes, May 16, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-DreamerCloud9 Guest

There is also a nice and large skeleton of something big in the Upper Tunnels of Splitpaw of all places...
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

I don't think that's really related but yeah Splitpaw is it's own story altogether.
  3. ARCHIVED-LordDerfel Guest

Could the remains, from whatever creature, have been caught with a meteorite during the rending? This would no doubt of killed it, and also possibly caused the island to form where the ribcage and tail now lay. I also agree with a previous post about the river taking the other parts away. The twisted bridges, and also the debris on the other bridges prove that it does get choppy there to say the least.

I'm a lore newbie, but getting into it now.
  4. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

We may actualy find out all the things we wanted in the form of a new book rumored to be on Test server.
    "According to the Update notes"

"- A new book collection quest, "The Behemoth," has been added. Hints as to how this quest is started can be found on the forums-"
  5. ARCHIVED-Sartredes Guest

Excellent! I'm looking forward to finding out more about this mysterious creature and the events surrounding its time on Norrath. I really love that these lore-based quests are being added to the game.
  6. ARCHIVED-ArrBard Guest

Umm...Coirnav isn't a fish per-say. He is/was an octopus/crab thing.

See
  7. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

The Behemoth is a creature of legend, a legend so ancient that it was lost to time. But there are scholars that began to research the existence of this creature and document their findings. One of these scholars is the great Professor Romiak Jusathorn, last benevolent head master of the Academy of Arcane Science.

I recall an encounter I had once with a fellow guest diner. It seems we were both invited to dine with the great Professor Jusathorn within a tower he had erected in the wilds of his hometown. Here in the tower we discussed many topics, among them the true origin of the supposed Combine Spires and the differences between the kerra and the vah shir.

Sometime after the endless cat man debate, Romiak stepped out for a short walk and we began to speak of extinct creatures of the ancient ages. That is when the fellow next to me, a scribe named Jeroel, told me he had in his possession the last copy of "The Lore of Fauna: The Behemoth," one of Romiak's many volumes within his prize winning series, "The Lore of Fauna." I asked to see this tome, but the drunkard refused. Luckily he was not only a glutton of wine, but also of cauldron blowfish and thicket crayfish, the very meal set before me. So, bartering away my final portions of the meal I was able to steal a glimpse of the rare book. It was a fairly good read and offered a bit of enlightenment on the creature Professor Romiak Jusathorn dubbed the behemoth.

Let me tell you, sightings of this beast have been recorded, but most scoffed at by scholars. After discovering that the great professor himself believes the creature to have once existed, I concur.

From what I can tell you, the remains in Nektulos Forest came about around the Age of War. It was no natural occurrence.
  8. ARCHIVED-irish Guest

Anyone find where to start this yet.Checked the behemoth and all over nektulos and nothing checked academy of arcane science and commonlands but cant find pages or a starter for the Behemoth book.
  9. ARCHIVED-IrishWonder Guest

It looks like this is still only on the Test server. My guess is it will go live with Live Update #24, and it will probably be noted in the Update Notes at that time. It could be another obscure and hidden "History and Lore Forum Quest," but judging by the public acknowledgement on the Test server notes and here in the forums, I doubt it.
  10. ARCHIVED-Koehianna Guest

Whatever it is, I highly doubt it's a water-bound creature. It's far too large to have gone unnoticed in any water bodies in Nektulos.

I think it might be some sort of dinosaur. What other creatures of that size have we not seen in EQ?
  11. ARCHIVED-Jaale Guest

Who say's that is has to be something that we have seen before it might be a completely new creature.
    It might be a massive Giant or a huge lizard that managed to rival the Dragons for power, at the moment we don't know. (Though I wish we did. ;) ) I'm hoping that we get to reserect it in some form. :D
  12. ARCHIVED-Faithlight Guest

Seems it has gone live with today's update as a collection book quest and maybe more read the notes.
  13. ARCHIVED-Ozymundas Guest

Anyone found the book? I'm searching, but I've not found it yet.
  14. ARCHIVED-Lonissa Guest

Ahh, Vhalen, you sir are the devil, so tricksy! But I love it :)

[IMG]
  15. ARCHIVED-ganng Guest

Arrrgh where might a wandering lv 65 SK with nothing else to do find such a book?
  16. ARCHIVED-RingleToo Guest

I'm at work, so all I can do at the moment is research. Well, I suppose I could actually do work, but that just seems silly.
    I'll point out a couple of "clues" I found that may or may not indicate where the book is:
    Vhalen wrote http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...id=lore&message.id=13112&query.id=9574#M13112
    "...I recall an encounter I had once with a fellow guest diner. It seems we were both invited to dine with the great Professor Jusathorn within a tower he had erected in the wilds of his hometown...
    ....That is when the fellow next to me, a scribe named Jeroel, told me he had in his possession the last copy of "The Lore of Fauna: The Behemoth," one of Romiak's many volumes within his prize winning series, "The Lore of Fauna." ...bartering away my final portions of the meal I was able to steal a glimpse of the rare book..."
    And also found this:
    The Tower of Zervonn: The Tower of Zarvonn was constructed near the latter half of the Age of Turmiol and was a mage sanctum built for the then Foci of the Arcane Scientists, Professor Romiak Justathorn. Records told of two of these towers being build, but no fortune hunter, trotter or explorer has ever been able to locate the second. If the Arcane Scientists know of its whereabouts, they are not talking. For now the dilapidated tower has become a haven for mad mages and the evil they spawn.
    (BTW, Justathorn lived in Freeport and the tower is in the Commonlands)
    Message Edited by RingleToo on 06-14-2006 04:05 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-SageGaspar Guest

With the clues you have so far, you should be able to complete it. Just don't overthink it.
  18. ARCHIVED-Ozymundas Guest

Brilliant! Another great quest with an interesting read as the reward! Thanks Vhalen!
  19. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

what, do i need to bring him food or something? i dont even know where he is. looked all over the tower and nothing new. even then im not a crafter so im stumped for the moment
  20. ARCHIVED-Vhalen Guest

This one is a just a bit of lore, a snack about the behemoth. Although not as long or as deep as the quest for the Everling idol, it does contain clues to the future. It is unfortunate that it was ever mentioned within the release notes. I was going to do the usual and simply inform a few lore keepers who then would pass it on in their own fashion, but it mistakenly made its way into the release notes. We'll try and not let that happen again.