The Behemoth

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Sartredes, May 16, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-TheFates Guest

Oooh... could be the premise for a nice world event quest. Some necromancer or somesuch contracts adventurers to find the missing remains. From there you have to begin following up leads, conducting investigations, and tracking down the people/creatures/factions that have made off with the missing bones. During the course of the investigation the nature of the behemoth and it's history becomes known. After all of the missing pieces are collected and returned to the pond the necromancer ressurects the fallen creature in an attempt to control it, which naturally fails, the newly ressurected monster then flees to some hidden location and, wa-la, a new raid zone "Lair of the Behemoth" becomes available.
  2. ARCHIVED-Ktok Guest

A large creature that could have crashed down from the sky that none of us have seen and few of us know about?

Well, that sounds like the the dragon hybrids that the old Iksar empire bred to use as mounts to fight the dragons in air to air combat. I know they have never been in game, and it's a pretty obscure bit of lore. Is it possible that one of these creatures lived through the Iksar / Ring of Scale war and found its final resting place in Nek Forest?
    Message Edited by Ktok on 05-19-2006 10:40 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Cragger Guest

Well it certainly didn't have to 'crash' down to create that pond. Its been 500 years or so since it probably perished. Sediment buildup around the corpse during that time, compost from the corpse decay itself and being on/in a river easily explains the pond and isle itself.
  4. ARCHIVED-Lonissa Guest

Isn't there a dragon skeleton in the sea in the Commonlands as well? I don't recall seeing any lore mentioning who or what it belonged to.

Edit: typos
    Message Edited by Emaleth2000 on 05-19-2006 04:15 PM
  5. ARCHIVED-Phylok Guest

Yeah there is one under water in the ocean.
  6. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

Just throwing this out there b/c of Vhalens comments, but what about that giant fish thing seen in some of the concept art when you zone? Maybe it could be that thing? I'm pretty sure nothing like that has been seen before.

To be more specific I am speaking of the piece of concept art where there is a giant fish-thing whose eyes seem to emit light and it's tongue has what looks like suction cups and stuff on it and is in the shape of a leaf. I'm sure you've all seen it, maybe these bones are those things remains.
  7. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Just tossing out other gargantuan skeletons I can recall:
    The bridge from Iceclad Ocean to the Eastern Wastes was a huge dragon skeleton, or at least it was constructed to look that way.
  8. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

The Grete Spaign
  9. ARCHIVED-Panglicar Guest

There's another "Behemoth" in Zek, Tremblar. While i agree the skelly reamains are a lot bigger, it would be a possibility for the wurm in Nek to be way bigger ( since he was friends with Teir'Dal .. he would get awesome meals :p ).
  10. ARCHIVED-Deeply Guest

The island is probably the river bed pushed up with the impact of that bulk hitting it at some force when it died.
    The pool probably formed out of where the belly / back was before it rotted away.
    Since its a fairly fast moving river that could have taken the skull away of its just under a few hundred tonnes of silt.
    No wings? well could have been a huge Wyrm,
    Message Edited by Deeply on 05-22-2006 05:03 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Trepan Guest

You've obviously never seen....

[IMG]

All it had was a tail, and it nearly wiped out Manhattan ;-)
  12. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

Nope havent seen the movie, but I can tell by looking at the picture of it the creature clearly has a head and legs though. :smileyhappy:
  13. ARCHIVED-Trepan Guest

The tail grew them once they'd dug it up. ;-)
  14. ARCHIVED-Faabio Guest

That kind of reminds me of Coirnav, Avatar of water from EQI
  15. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

I dont think Nektulos ever had enough water to support a creature that big. That river would have to be Much bigger for it to survive to get to that size.
    And, as we saw with the Great Divide dragons can shape the landscape drasticaly, so with that in mind id have to say it was a crash landing possibly a forced landing or thrown down with a strugle as the downed broken and dead tree's and tree stumps in that immidiate area.
    :smileyhappy:
  16. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

The Great Divide was created by Veeshan herself, so I think that's an exception...
  17. ARCHIVED-WarSheol Guest

Exactly my point. and no exception its the biggest proof that dragons can shape the landscape i've ever seen.
    Dragons can cause mountains to form so a pond is nothing to them. :smileyhappy:
  18. ARCHIVED-IrishWonder Guest

I think what Cusa means is that Veeshan was almost as big as Norrath (the entire planet) herself. It's more appropriate to say that the Great Divide is the biggest proof that Gods can shape the landscape... not Dragons. Now, yes, a dragon falling out of the sky would no doubt scar the land... but not close to the scale of the Great Divide. A crater the size of Behemoth Pond could be very likely in that situation.
    Message Edited by IrishWonder on 05-24-2006 04:38 AM
  19. ARCHIVED-Lyriel Guest

Perhaps there are no parts missing... Perhaps instead it is the skeleton of a very, very large and distant relative of the flying snake (quetzalcoatl) variety? We see flying serpents, of lesser scale, in many zones (including Nek Forest). They have no legs or arms, and the wings are more like fins - which have no bones. Cartilaginous bits would surely have decayed over the time it took for that huge skeleton to settle as it has now. As for heads - they are fairly small relative to the rest of the beast, and could be either carried off as mentioned earlier or may still lie beneath the soil.
    My brain wants to say such things did once inhabit Xegony's realm in EQ1, as guardians, though my memories of things before the shattering have faded over time. I can't recall seeing the remains of any though.
    Just my 2cp worth of speculation :smileywink:
    Lyriel
  20. ARCHIVED-Guronzor Guest

What about the huge skull and spine/tail in The Caves?
    Could it be the remains?