Return Home to the Isle of Refuge Prestige Home

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Afista_DG, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Aranedhel Member

Getting something for free and complaining about it seems ungrateful, getting something for free and complaining that others might be able to purchase said item appears elitist and pointing out that a corporation might be motivated by profit sounds foolish.

Perhaps those who are receiving these gifts should be thankful that they are offered gratis, and be thankful that SOE might be willing to make a buck off of those too impatient to wait however long it might take to get said item for free.

I can understand pointing out the disparity between this and other Vet rewards but to become indignant over so trivial strikes me as odd. I would rather SOE reach out to enlarge the playerbase, even if it means offering items that some feel only they "deserve". Their game, their rules. I tolerate not having access to certain items because my playstyle isn't suited obtaining them (mostly raid items, hate raiding for the most part, not my cup o' tea). As long as SOE continues to publish soloable content, and expands the housing item list I will continue to goof off in Norrath as much as I am able.
  2. Sylvain Member

Woooooooooot! I was able to check this out on the Beta server, and had to check out every nook and cranny.
    I have so memories here! I killed my 1st 1000 gobbies just past the barricades, hunted many crabs to get the hidden quest for I believe it was a necklace, killed Bladefin, so much nostalgia here. I remember when starting a new toon making sure to do everything including crafting a full set of gear before leaving. Lets not forget the cellar where we learned about the housing system for the 1'st time. ( EQ2 has indisputably the best housing system of any MMORPG before or since ).
    Though I did then and will always miss Luclin, PoK and was sad to leave EQ ( I still wander in from time to time, and I recommend some of you whippersnappers that never have to go in and learn what a real MMO is like before you fancy yourself a real gamer *grins ) EQ2 quickly won me over right there on that island.

I was not expecting the house actors and critters so that is plus but will miss Bladefin if he's not there.

It is indeed outstanding and I am looking forward to claim my own vet reward. Thanks EQ2 and SOE for all these years of exceptional gaming opportunities. I raised a son playing together with friends and family in your MMOs ( I may even forgive you for MxO because of this island.) I taught him values, communication skills and honor in both EQ and EQ2 and we still play together though he is now in college.

Slyboots the ranger.
    Tierisch, SierraDawn and Ashy like this.
  3. Ashy Member

Gratz 10 year Vets! I am rather envious. 10 years is still a very long time to come for me since I only just began this game in December 2011. 1 per account seems fair to me, I've never seen another game that even gave veteran rewards. It's a nice concept to the game but it isn't the reason I play it by any means.
    Tierisch likes this.
  4. Annagwen New Member

I am not happy what is the vet reward for all my toons in all the years I have been playing the vet rewards have always been per toon. why is this different? after so many years why are you changing it now. I love decorating and I have claimed the houses that I can on most of my toons. I also claimed most of my vet rewards( some I don't claim till I need a potion lol there is never enough room for all my stuff). This feels cheap. who do I give it to? My healer who is my oldest toon. My mage that is my main now, My tank that is a carpenter that I decorating with mostly. this is the first time I have ever complained about something. Please give us something small like a bigger bag and 3 more potions just something for everyone on my account.
    thanks Annagwen, Unreat

ps i am really looking forward to decorating this house just sad that i will have to choose who gets it
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

You mean like with a monthly Subscription, annual Expansion, and extensive Marketplace?
    Charlice, Alenna, Tierisch and 6 others like this.
  6. Estred Well-Known Member

Honestly with so many looking for this. I would say do the following:
    1: Offer it as a 1 item claim for everyone, not just 10-year Vets. So their Mains can have it and enjoy it. Give it to 10-year vets as a claimable item, so all their alt's can have it.
    2: Offer it as a 300 Loyalty Token Item or something else HIGH-Cost to balance out option 3
    3: Like other prestige houses, offer it on the SC-Market.

Assuming you get 2 Loyalty tokens/day that's 150 days. That's quite the time sink. Just having something other than limited to 10-years only would be nice. I know many players are likely feeling gipped because they may not have been there at day 1, but still been constant subscribers since their addition, hence the Loyalty Token suggestion. By no means does it have to be taken, but I wanted to put it out there.
    Merriel likes this.
  7. Ratza Well-Known Member

Disappointed this is limited to 1 per account.....why are my other toons not worthy of a vet reward?
    Lateana likes this.
  8. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

When I first heard they were giving their 11 year veterans this as a reward I was so excited. I thought, wow way to go SOE you really do appreciate us! Now, I just feel disappointed, sad and unfortunately, not surprised in the least.:(
  9. Merriel Well-Known Member

I mean by whatever means they are able to generate revenue. Every company needs to generate revenue to keep going, though from what I keep hearing, SOE takes money from us in this game and pours it into EQN instead of pouring it back into this game. Makes me wonder how long they intend to keep EQ2 around, or if they are just holding out as long as they can to avoid another outrage for announcing closure of this game as well.

I know for FreeRealms, the developers continued to develop the game right up until the very end, as if nothing was wrong, and actually brought so much new content that people thought the game was back on the uprise again. Then the announcement to shut the game down came, quite unexpectedly and there was quite an outpouring of outrage towards SOE for that. I think even the developers were kept in the dark about the closures, or would they have continued to work so hard on bringing new content to the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing were to happen here, though I surely hope SOE would not make that same mistake again. I think EQ2 has many many years of potential left in it, if only SOE would learn proper marketing strategies instead of annoying their player base so much of the time. Having read the comparison write up of how many people play WoW as opposed to how many play EQ2, you would think SOE would have figured out by now where they have been going wrong as their history dates back all the way to SWG (12-13 years?) with so many mistakes repeated over and over again. How many mistakes must be repeated before they realize it's time to re-think their strategy? If I didn't have so much time and money of my own invested in this game, perhaps I wouldn't really care, but I love this game and would like to see them continue to put forth the time and effort to bring us content to keep this game going for years to come. I don't think, however, that anyone can fault me for my skepticism.

Another thought on the issue of the prestige house being made available per character or per account...oftentimes, brothers and sisters are forced to share an account, each having only one character available to them on the account. These children do not have a choice in the matter, as it is up to their parents and how much the parents are willing to invest in the game. By taking away the house from one per character, now they have to decide which character gets the house, and if their parents are not willing to spend the extra funds to purchase the house for the other kids, the rest will simply have to do without. While only one per account has no vital effect on me, it can and will affect the accounts of these children, and that is something I am opposed to, so there is at least one valid reason right there that I do not like this new change.
    Tierisch, Juraiya and Feldon like this.
  10. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Player since Beta here, logged into the Isle in August of 2004.

Thank you for making the Isle, even though it is missing about 1/3 of the land it had. There are new hilltop areas and such to make up for those. The top of the collision box of the tower in the first area off of the dock is set at the top of the spires, not the top of the tower, leading to standing in mid-air up there. Detail.

Thank you for the addition of the cloud wall around the perimeter of the skydome. And most especially thank you for the music- both in the 'real' zone and in the crafting space. Takes one back ten years very well.

Thank you for one free per ten year account. Thank you for the ability to purchase extras, or to buy them before the ten year mark for everyone else. The balance is just right in my not so humble opinion as a 10 year eq2 player, economics instructor and game monetization professional.

Now that my characters have come full circle and returned to the Isle though, I'm done. My 10 year account will lapse and I don't expect to log into it again. This one good execution in recent years is the exception. I haven't enjoyed the direction of the game since SF, and I haven't really logged in for 8 months. Thanks for the opportunity to bookend my EQ experience.

P.S. one reason that one per account is just right is because way back in the day having more than one active toon was the exception. Characters took time to develop and as a consequence you knew who everyone else was by their name (and the reputation it had), not having to remember a dozen or more names per each player.
    Tierisch likes this.
  11. Jaqen Member

SOOOO where are they,.... it was said to be in updates notes yet there no way to claim them?
  12. Yajirushi62 Active Member

Yes, but that is not the case now the average player of endgame content probably has at least two alts, and the lower level people that I have run into always seem to have between two and five characters they play.
    Tierisch and Juraiya like this.
  13. Yajirushi62 Active Member

Is your account 11 years old? 10years + 360days from expansions?
  14. Jaenis Member

When is this able to be claimed? At which timeframe? 10 years? or 11 Years?

For example...my account age is 10 years 11 months and 19 days, yet, there is no deed able to be claimed as yet.

Secondly, is this for All Access accounts only or also for FTP accounts that are over 10years old? My wife's account is currently FTP but is also over 10years old is why I ask, yet there is no deed to claim on her account either.

Regards.

Jaenis
  15. ThetaLee New Member

Is the Isle a 10 year or 11 year reward? The announcement says 10, but the update notes say 11.
  16. Harmonia New Member

They just said 10 year veterans not 10 years +350 days. Did any 10 year veterans actually get their house?
  17. CharbrynEQ2 Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember when veteran rewards used to be limited to 3 per account. I don't recall when they changed it to be unlimited per account but it wasn't always that way. I still have some rewards that are one per account that I haven't claimed yet because I don't want to lose them since I tend to cycle through classes. (I'm looking at you, EQ1 painting and server title pack) After claiming my jboots on my first ever character that I then deleted 10 years ago I don't want to do that again. :)
    Tierisch, Juraiya and Elostirion like this.
  18. HadleysHope Member

Im 10 years (3865 days) and don't have it.

Also, I just want to add that it is NOT the full zone which I am mightily disappointed wth. The area leading up to and including the large open area where the agro goblins used to live is completely missing. Everything else seems to be there but not that area or the path leading to it.

If this is just a bonus 10 year vet reward then fair enough, if this turns out to be the 11 year reward then that blows that there is only 1 per account. Much like the SOE Live reward, a bag.. yea thanks for that...
    Juraiya likes this.
  19. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Right. And this Isle means something to old farts, not young whippersnappers. Hence the appropriateness of my comment and the inapplicability of yours. Unless you were trying to reinforce my point for me...

Don't try to use the current realities of the genre to back up an evolutionary argument unless you are prepared to discuss exactly why they are all beneficial. Not all of them are.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  20. Merriel Well-Known Member

Are they no trade or heirloom? Seems kind of pointless to have them if they are just stuck in the /claim window collecting dust, hehe. If they are heirloom, you can always put them in the shared bank for another character before you delete a character. :)