Power of Dragons

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Amana, Apr 18, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Sinect Guest

I would agree with you there -
    So what Elements do we have for the dragons - Earth - Air - Water - Fire - ? excluding the storm dragon I thought I read there being 5
  2. ARCHIVED-MoD1133 Guest

I think Ice would also be an element.
  3. ARCHIVED-MoD1133 Guest

There are also Sky dragons.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Sky dragons? never heard of that one before.
  5. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Well don't forget guys we have more than the primary elements we also have noxious elements.

Now if this is how it is there could be a possibility of 7 dragon elemental types.

Fire
    Earth
    Wind
    Water
    Disease*
    Poison*
    Storm

*Now I assume Disease and poison are seperate but I could be wrong and if so we have a total of 6 elemental types*.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Disease and poison are two different elements.
  7. ARCHIVED-MoD1133 Guest

You can add sky dragons to that list making it 8.
  8. ARCHIVED-Dreadfiend Guest

EQ1's Trakanon was said to have been a sky dragon before he was cursed. He supposed to have been blue and the sky dragon was the dragon type closest to Veeshan.
  9. ARCHIVED-BasNamhaid Guest

Something to consider:

I remember a great deal of discussion about the gods and their roles during EQ along the time of the PoP expansion... Veeshan was a short topic here as she was considered somewhat beyond even the gods. It was said (and this has been several years ago and I'm sure I'm forgetting many details) that Veeshan roamed what would be the vastness of the universe occasionally "marking" a planet. This act planted the seeds of her offspring and Dragons emerged on that planet. I mention this because it was stated (or guessed at by someone else on this thread) that all life was created on Norrath by her choice of of the planet as a vessel for her children but I'd like to submit the argument I find this unlikely. It's known from the same lore that her choice of Norrath drew the attention of the Gods of the second born, and development of those races are a result of the other gods involvement. So, its seems to me there are two possibilities...
    1) Veeshan's choice did spawn the dragons and lesser forms of life as fauna for the growth and sustainance of her kind
    or
    2) Dragons may not be bound so closely to physical needs that the second born races are tied to ie : food and drink .. and are sustained by a very close connection to the magic of the world.

If the second is true, its far more likely that the gods that took notice of Veeshan's mark layed the groundwork for all other forms of life and it makes more since to me that They would be responcible for providing the "needs" of their handywork including flora/fauna and the knowledge to manipulate it.
    Therefore, to continue stipulating the unknown, I'd assumed from prior reading that Veeshan seems to be vast in her influence in the universe, beyond the influence of the gods of the second born, perhaps parallel with another greater being but not at all bound by similar contraints of the more mundane gods, so her appointment of a dragon to any specific duty or choice to leave behind seems a thought that is likely below her station in the scheme of things. She is the Great Dragon, responsible for the presence of Dragons on Norrath and since that one act, is/has moved on likely to never be involved with the planet again.
  10. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

He was referred to as "the large blue" in the Kunark manual, and I always assumed he was some other element besides poison before his little run-in with death, but I don't see that as a good enough reason to assume he was a sky dragon
  11. ARCHIVED-troodon Guest

I don't see any reason to think this. She's a Goddess of Nature, just like Brell, Solusek, and Prexus and some others. These gods and the Gods of Influence "exist on the same tier within the hierarchy of the planar realms" according to Vhalen, and they are all beneath the elemental gods in power and influence.
    I mean, what makes you think she's so powerful? She's big, I'll grant you that, so are the giants that can be soloed by countless ratonga and gnomes. She created the first life on Norrath; I think any of the other major deities could have done this as well. If anything, she acts like she's less powerful. The other gods are fine chilling in their planes, but Veeshan has to roam the universe depositing her brood and trying to gain an upper hand on the other races. That's why Brell organized the other gods to create races on Norrath, to "[keep] the Dragon Wurmqueen in check".
    Message Edited by troodon on 04-30-2006 01:22 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Thx for the heads up about the poison and disease elements. I thought they would be classified together as *Noxious* but as I assumed they were not and are opposing elements like fire and ice.
    As for the Sky Dragon mod I thought that would be classified under "Air Element" however if it is completely different then i'll add it to the list.

As for Troodon's question asking "What makes you think she is so powerful?" I would have to say it is the fact that Veeshan created the dragons themselves. It deffinately takes an immense power to create something out of nothing and I do wonder if Veeshan had the "Prismatic Dragon" in her scope of things or if it was beyond her comprehention. Also can more than 1 prismatic dragon exist within the world of norrath and an even scarier thought what would happen if a prismatic fire/ice elemental prismatic mated with a disease/poison prismatic elemental dragon? Would that produce an even greater prismatic dragon that would border on sub diety level?
  13. ARCHIVED-Dreadfiend Guest

I'm sure it's possible for more than one prismatic to exist at the same time. There's no lore that says otherwise, but the thing that makes Kerafyrm and the whole prismatic line of dragons a problem is that he is/was filled with rage, and a lust for destruction. When he was free to roam in his early days, lore tells that he basically scared all the other dragons around him with his lust for battle and blood. They say something "dark" lay deep inside of him. I think that's a nice of saying he had a screw loose and was a psychopath.
    My point with the above lore reference was that Kerafyrm scared 95% of the other dragons with his "dark spirit". He wasn't manageable by the Council and basically had to be tricked into a coma because they had no other way of dealing with him. Why would dragons go out and make another one(s) when they see what a walking sh*t storm Kerafyrm was?

Veeshan was very aware of the problems with a Prismatic dragon and that's why she forbid dragons of opposite elements to mate. She knew that a prismatic dragon would be a wrecking ball without a chain and completely uncontrollable by conventional means. Having said that, there was probably a small part of Veeshan's heart that wouldn't cry if Kerafyrm did return Norrath to her children by any means necessary.

Lastly Veeshan has been thought of as powerful because she isn't seen squabbling with the other gods over egotistical or petty things. She was far removed from the politics of Planes of Power and for the most part pays attention to only dragons. Her seperation makes her seem "beyond" the other gods... she is seen as a dragon who flies through the universe seeding worlds while the other gods argue and fight over mortals on Norrath.
  14. ARCHIVED-irish Guest

Venekor Is the son of Trakanon according to the Lore In the KoS Strategy Guide from Prima and it says he has the gift of prophecy like his father;which probably explains why he is in the Hall of Seeing in Tenebrous.
  15. ARCHIVED-Amana Guest

Very nice I would probably have to agree that since veeshan is a "god" she probably knew about prismatics thats why she forbid it as you say. Though you do have to wonder what would happen if 2 psychopathic prismatic dragons mated fire and ice with disease and poison o man I shutter at that thought. Could you imagine a dragon of that caliber being unleashed upon norrath not even the mightiest of creatures could take that sucker down probably not even lord nagafen.
    As you said Kerafyrm was a prismatic and scared 95% of the dragon population so it stands to reason even kerafyrm is not psychotic enough to unleash an ungodly prismatic dragon upon norrath.
    Here is something else to wonder about it is said that there can only be 1 storm dragon at 1 time and if there are ever 2 dragons at once 1 must die. The thing is what would happen if 1 didn't know the other existed and they never came into contact? Is there a kind of 6th sense where if another storm dragon is born into the world the eldest one will instantly know it and have to kill it?
    I do have to say Kerafrym must have been the exception to the dragon code since the Ring of Scale I believe forbid dragons from physically engaging and attacking one another.
  16. ARCHIVED-MoD1133 Guest

Kerafyrm was allowed to live because Kildrukaun believed that a prismatic dragon would never be born unless Veeshan said otherwise but when a prismatic was born Kildrukaun changed his beliefs and believed Kerafyrm was born because of a certain prophecy and that with an unknown purpose he would reunite the Ring of Scale and Claws of Veeshan, thats why Kerafyrm was allowed to live.
  17. ARCHIVED-MoD1133 Guest

I would like a developer to tell us what the different dragon elements are, and if a dragons breath weapon and AE have anything to do with the element.
  18. ARCHIVED-Zhek Guest

Following standard dragon lore established long long ago, the element of the dragon IS what type of breath it has. Basically the main identifier for it.
  19. ARCHIVED-Sinect Guest

established where?
  20. ARCHIVED-Dreadfiend Guest

Possibly in the fact that the first two dragons in EQ1 were: Lord Nagafen, a fire dragon that breathed fire (lave breath)... and Lady Vox, an ice dragon that breathed frost (Frost Breath).

They both are unmistakable elemental dragons and their surroundings, colorations and breath weapons emphasize that fact. The Kunark era Talandor (red dragon with Immolating Breath) and Gorenaire (white dragon with Freezing Breath) are also cut from the same cloth.

I personally wouldn't consider poison and disease as element types in terms of dragons. It doesn't say that all dragons have to be elementals, it just said that no two dragons could mate who were of opposed elements.

I see disease and poison falling underneath the earth element given Woushi and Severilous' breath weapons and the fact that both were tied with the earth and/or nature in EQ1.