Introducing the EQ2 Discord Chat

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystfit Well-Known Member

For the most part, I enjoy the discord channel. It's a nice change from say General chat which can be un-fun at times. It lets me chat with a broader range of servers. My only complaint is there a a group of people who have a their own pet topic and eventually that could get old for the devs. If they don't reply the first 87 times, the 88th may not make a difference. ;) I get it though. I know when they took Meatbeast away from BL's I may have been a bit narrow focused.
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

they should add a frequently asked questions channel in discord where only the admins can message there and pin stuff that has already been asked enough times already so peopel can check to see what has been asked and the answers so they don't bug the developers.
    Faeonara, Almee, Sejreia and 2 others like this.
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

I'm on and I'll see how it goes. Hopefully it will be a magic bullet that improves our communication with the game developers.
    Sejreia and Prissetta like this.
  4. Lucus Well-Known Member

the way i see discord is a way for players to chat with each other about problems, bugs, issues and mechanics with the possibility of a developer chiming in and commenting.

i don't think it's a magic bullet, because they are fictional.

if we do the right thing in discord i think it will thrive, if not then i would expect the devs to be wary of participating.
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Alenna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckle.Glad I'm not the only one.
    Griffon Lady and Prissetta like this.
  6. That guy. Well-Known Member

Funny, you just described the forums. Won't work any better there than it does here.
    SynnikuL and Dude like this.
  7. Lucus Well-Known Member

discord seems to me liek a hybrid of the forums and twitter, they can post a short message or two when they got a minute and minimize the program without having any session timeouts like the forums.
  8. Neiloch Well-Known Member

More like unofficial forums that aren't ran by anti-social losers and much easier to comment on subjects as they are discussed. They don't have to seek out topics and make highly calculated responses.
  9. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

Does Feldon work for DBG now?
    Ceyllynn and Kittybock like this.
  10. Merriel Well-Known Member

Um I do not believe so, lol. You would have to ask him, but yeah, I don't think he'd try covering anything up for DBG. He's generally pretty straightforward and honest in his opinions. That's what I like about him. :)
    Almee, Griffon Lady and Prissetta like this.
  11. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I was just asking, I didn't say anything about him covering anything up.
  12. Merriel Well-Known Member

I know you didn't, and I'm sorry if I made it seem you had. I was just reiterating what I had said in my post you replied to. :)
  13. That guy. Well-Known Member

So wait, DBG are anti-social losers?
  14. Neiloch Well-Known Member

No the 'unofficial' forum is.
    That guy. likes this.
  15. That guy. Well-Known Member

Ah, I get ya now.
  16. Merriel Well-Known Member

Personally, I really don't like chat servers. I NEVER use yahoo messenger, msn messenger, skype or any other chat program (with exception of in-game chat), though I regret to say I have used them in the past and it was my experiences with them that have made me averse to using them anymore. I don't use FB, Twitter, MySpace or any of those anti-social media sites either. I don't just not like them...I absolutely loathe them. I don't see any reason that any type of business should need to use these anti-social media sites either, and we already have a chat system in the game itself, why do we need another?

As for EQ2Wire, ZAM, Wikia, EQ2Furniture, etc...I use these sites all the time, but that is because they actually provide 'USEFUL' information, and I totally appreciate the time and effort those who volunteer their time to create these sites has put into them. I honestly don't know how they find enough time in their busy schedules to work these sites and still have time to play the game too. They do amazing work and it's nice to be able to find information I need on their sites when EQII's own sites are not forthcoming.

What really hits home for me is what Avahlynn had to say about the sheer number of sites we must now traverse. It's time consuming to have to navigate to so many different sites, and that's time taken away from the game itself. Given the limited number of hours in the day, and the limited number of hours one can commit to a specific game in a day, I would prefer to spend that time in the game rather than sifting through many different sites to try and come up with a specific answer to a specific question. I will keep to the limited number of sites I visit now, and will not be adding to that list unless the site I add proves to be of a significant improvement over other sites I visit now. No offense intended to those who put it together, but I do not see Discord as being an improvement to my already available list of sites and I will not be using it.
    Ceyllynn, Svenone and Tekka like this.
  17. Cheesenabber Active Member

While I get your reasoning, I've chosen to use it. I've been chatting with people and learned a fair amount of info and came out of my shell a little. It's nice being able to talk to people regardless of server or sub status, and the in-game chat system has always been.. just kinda meh to me. I've never had the custom channels work right.

I'm very grateful to HAVE a lot of choices, I wish DB would be a bit better about posting the info across multiple places themselves (example: the schedule for gear up would be nice to have on the forum, official facebook, and a link to say the forum post on twirtter.
    HaphazardAllure and Feldon like this.
  18. Svenone Well-Known Member

Maybe...maybe before I lost the ability to type quickly, before I lost a portion of my vision...maybe then I would have found Discord acceptable. Now? Trying to sift through all the useless chaf and read the tidbits that may actually be useful before it scrolls off the screen just gives me a headache. Is it worth a headache? No, I don't think do.
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  19. Feldon Well-Known Member

• Specific information affecting the future of the game is posted on the forums, my site, everquest2.com, etc. You do not need to sift through the admittedly heavy throughput Discord chat to "stay up to date" with the game.
    • If we have a scheduled organized Dev Chat, there will be an official log that you can read at your leisure.
    • The Beta forums, plus /bug and /feedback remain the primary means of reporting issues on Kunark Ascending beta.
    • The rest is general conversation and an opportunity to blow off steam.
    Lucus, Merriel and HaphazardAllure like this.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Thank you, Feldon, for all your work on this. I have no real interest in joining the chat, but many others do and for their sake I am glad that it is available. So again, thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.