Introducing the EQ2 Discord Chat

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

It's kinda easy to agree with you. I mean, there is nothing that everyone is going to like, all the time. And we have some here that seem to have a high bar when it comes to pleasing them.

More choices is good, usually. My hope is that the new discord aspect of communication perhaps brings in folks that don't like wading through the boards. Getting to know other people is a good thing.

Unlike RadarX I wasn't raised on boards, I cut my teeth in chat/real time environments, so discord doesn't bother me and I have no problems with it as a tool.

It is a great tool. It just may be a tool that won't fit all of our needs. Norrathian Homeshow. That's near and dear to me. We have a Homeshow chat channel based in AB but available on the other servers. I think it may be the most active chat I've seen. But the backbone of decorating lies here where we can view each other's work and get feedback that we can revisit and ponder, weeks and heck, years, later.

I feel like I'm getting maxed out at the sheer number of sites. It's like how many hoops must we jump through. Cynara and I are making our guild's website and we've integrated Twitter feed for db and eq2, plus we are keeping up with the guides site, scanning Feldon site for news I may have missed, and trying to find a way to keep our fellow guildies as informed as possible without having to have them go all over gathering tidbits of information. Perhaps a chat box on these forums would have been a less is more option? Cbox style chat is pretty good at being there on a site without being intrusive. I am fine with different avenues to communicate, I'd just like to see some consolidation.
    Merriel, Almee, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  2. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Sorry hit reply before actually commenting.

This is key for me and hopefully others.

Having multiple ways for communication doesn't mean that the usual/old ways of doing so are being phased out or not being used. Having Discord, Reddit, Twitter, FB, and whatever else we will get in the future, doesn't mean that someone that doesn't like change or additional ways of communication can't do what they've done all along. You don't have to partake of other forms, just use the ones you like. **

** Just in case - when I use the words "old ways" or "doesn't like change" is not meant to be a bad thing.
    Almee likes this.
  3. Estal Well-Known Member

No worries:)
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Adevil Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with Discord is a rather minor one. Its' name. I keep expecting PvP to be going on in chat there.
    Xianthia and Mizgamer62 like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

The problem is in unity of effort and time management. Sure I can pick and choose my preferred means of communication. DBG, however, is going to have to use all of them. I'd really rather they not spend time bouncing between multiple means of communication and just focus on the game.
    Merriel, Tekka and Ceyllynn like this.
  6. RadarX Community Manager

In principle I 100% agree with you but unlike other teams I'm working with they aren't really on Reddit and Twitter. If other teams can use 3 mediums effectively I'm confident these guys can use 2.
    Almee, Feldon, Livejazz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Zheantriq New Member

I can't wait for this to happen*. At some point Someone is going to claim that the Redname passed down wisdom from On High. The Followers of Redname are going to call them a liar and cast them out as unclean because the Redname did not make their declaration from the right On High. Did they Tweet the knowledge from On High? Which Twitter passed down the wisdom? Did they write it upon the Book of Face, no? Perhaps it was hidden within the mysterious and cryptic Launcher? No again? Was it written upon the dusty and ancient scrolls of the Old Forums. Not this time. Did the powers of On High proudly proclaim their wisdom on the Front Page? Again, no. "So, Someone, what method was this knowledge imparted to you by", The Followers might ask. "It was put in mine ear's holes by the noise of Discord!", Follower would exclaim. And Follower would be promptly butchered for flagging himself as PvP.

Seriously, more ways to communicate are fine but if you don't make good use of all of the methods you already have then what's to make people think one more half measure will fix the problem. The problem is not the media you're using as a company or a lack of options, it's that you're using it poorly.

*again and again because versions of this already happened many times before and will continue to do so until the company sorts out how to communicate with their customers internally.
    Tekka and Ceyllynn like this.
  8. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Are people not aware the twitter feed is on the forum homepage? Because of this they can say, only post something and Twitter and its still technically on the forum still. No other page to go to or entity to follow. It has Facebook as well but its kind of tucked down there.

The bottom line is the forum, twitter, facebook, reddit. bug tracker are all fine for 'one way' announcement-like communication but two way communication on all these platforms has been historically poor. This is the gap Discord is supposed to fill. The only other time I have seen good two way communication consistently is at the conventions but I am fairly certain we won't be having any more of those.
    Almee and Gnomesandhairyfrogloks like this.
  9. Mysteri Member

While I am thrilled to see another avenue of communication open up between the game managers/developers and the players (and payers) of the game, I am sad to say that for my guild on TLE Stormhold it may have been "a day late and a dollar short." A goodly portion of my guild left for greener pastures and other games on Friday. The overall feeling of disappointment and "unfulfilled expectations" due to the previous lack of communications and fixes to broken pieces of the game left a bitter taste in many mouths.

I have a one year subscription and have been a loyal follower of EQ and EQ2 both since the near birth of the old original EQ. I do not intend to cancel my subscription. I may not play as much as I have been, and on that note I wish to say that my time here returning to EQ2 for the TLE server reunited me with many, many lost friends. I have spent hours talking over old times and "reliving the glory days", which I can only assume was the intention of TLE in the first place. For that I do thank the the producers.

I am looking forward, as well, to the results of opening up of the Discord server and the impact that may have on the game!

Topsy
    Tropaeum
    Stormhold
    Almee and Ceyllynn like this.
  10. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

have you looked at them? sure twitter was from a few days ago... but the FB one? 24 days ago... there's even a forum post asking them to update the FB page.
  11. Dabb Active Member

lol you people, just stop. No matter what you do there's gonna be someone ALWAYS complaining or letting y'all know how to do it "better" than what you are doing. Great idea, thanks for checking on the server lag soon as it was reported and worked it out :)
    Raff, Lucus and Livejazz like this.
  12. Livejazz Well-Known Member

Whether I ever use Discord chat or not, I give two big thumbs up to Feldon & anyone else who made it happen. Kudos for being proactive.
    Almee, Raff, Lucus and 5 others like this.
  13. Veta Well-Known Member

Plays Black Desert, kills Kzarka, gets weapon token, leaves happily.
  14. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I thought is said Disco Chat which sounds way more fun!
    Spextasy, Febrith, Ocarinah and 9 others like this.
  15. interstellarmatter New Member

Hey RadarX, been a while. Miss those NGD days, made work go by much faster.
  16. Regolas Well-Known Member

Don't like it.

Do you realise how hard it is to find anything you're interested in with just a few channels on rolling chat??!

It's just an instant messenger. Forums are much better from a structured point of finding out info.
    Dude, Gulaep, Cheallaigh and 2 others like this.
  17. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

SQUEEEE! Kander (on Discord) told me that the wardrobe WILL be compatible with mannequins and house actors!!! Made my day! ^_^
    Ocarinah, Almee and Drusi_EQ2 like this.
  18. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

I think that's because FPs players tend to be a bit... erm... aggressive.... >.> Not giving a FPS game a forum is kinda like pet stores keeping betta fish in separate containers. I mean heck, look at how we all are back biting all the time here, and this is a relatively peaceful and laid back game, for the most part. XD

I keep expecting this guy.
    [IMG]
    Alenna and Stealthmode like this.
  19. Meneltel Well-Known Member

http://wiki.project1999.com/Priest_of_Discord

This is the Discord I think of. Sorry for using project 1999 but I couldn't think of what the mob was called (not really played much EQ1 recently and this was first to identify him for me).
    Alenna, Ceyllynn and Griffon Lady like this.
  20. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

My, what a big skull he has. o.0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.