Help Us Make Our Games Better!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Faelynn Active Member

This is a highly important detail. Wonder how many folks will miss this and sign up with their same uid/pw as for DB...

That aside, this sounds like a good idea - a really good idea. Give it a little time to see how well it works -- but if it works, Daybreak, then start planning on how to bring hosting of that tool into your own site so you don't have to depend on someone else's remaining alive as part of your business model.
    Naramsin and Seefar like this.
  2. Trista New Member

I have never used reddit, and vary rarely use twitter (once or twice a month) and facebook I just troll for photos and word about my kids and grandkids. I do check in on the forums more often, especially if there seems to be and interesting development or if I am having in game issues of sorts.

Please keep the forums, and improve them for player use in communicating with all you working hard behind the hamster cages.
    Pumarah, Seefar and Kittybock like this.
  3. Thalador Active Member

Come on now. Considering the slew of bugs that have been reported for years and still have threads miles long on here, why do you need our help now? Go through the old threads and fix those. Call of the Vet not working sound familiar? Been around for how many years?
    Prissetta, Pumarah, Shiba and 4 others like this.
  4. Thalador Active Member

FANGIRL!
    Kittybock and Moonpanther like this.
  5. Zinj Well-Known Member

As an EQ and EQII player from the very beginning, I'm not sure that your proposal is very efficient as you describe it. The in-game /bug and /feedback functions work just fine for submitting bug reports. That should not change, nor should it be expanded.

As for providing player-driven prioritization of bugs, or enhancement suggestions, you need to have a single site, single log-on ID, such as these forums, or you will open yourself to rampant abuse of the system. The use of Reddit, and other social channels like Facebook and Twitter for input, should only be for providing links to take people to that single location.

Number 1 suggestion for improvement of this game is not a design or programming issue; it's a marketing issue. Your player base is the size it is because they're the only people who've ever heard or seen Everquest. Everyone knows the World of Warcraft exists, and everyone can find copies of it at every store that sells computer games. It's hard enough trying to find an EQ payment card, much less the game itself.
    Prissetta, Avirodar, Pumarah and 6 others like this.
  6. JohnSmith New Member

I would suggest that they could fix the slew of years old problems with this game to the even more recent ones like the Call of Veteran not working properly but I won't. I'll give this company a year maybe two tops before they're business practices drive this game into the ground. Nothing says success like maximizing profits to the point of killing your product and angering your customers.
    Avirodar, Pumarah, Poopcicle and 2 others like this.
  7. Razor New Member

How about instead of making a whole new method and thinking we should adapt to using it, you just fix the ingame bug reporting feature so that bugs we report get addressed? That would have made more sense. If you found people complaining about bugs on other social media sites, you should have stopped and said "hmm, why aren't they reporting this through the game itself?" and then looked into that.

Now, this game is eleven years old. ELEVEN! And there are still issues that date back to that time that never got resolved and you want us to continue reporting on them? But now we get to upvote the ones we consider more important than others so you are already telling us that bugfixing isn't all that high a priority and you can't address them all, just some....

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see this working out.

How about instead of pushing effort into social media for bug fix issues, you push effort into social media to let people know Everquest 2 is still around and STILL KICKS *** over Warcraft. Put a thousandth of the money Blizzard puts into advertising and you can get more players than Warcraft has simply because Blizzard advertises and SOE never really bothered to. EQ2 always has been a far superior game than Warcraft and with the continual dumbing down of Warcraft it just gets even better when they are compared, but only EQ2 players know this because nobody else ever hears about it except from us.
    Prissetta, Xilox Sin, Pumarah and 6 others like this.
  8. Baphmistra Active Member

Well I asked for one where I could put a happier reply than normal, and then you posted this question. As to how you can make the game better, 3 major things come to mind, 1 fix the minor annoying little glitches that I know are probably piling up on the /petition folder. You've taken a step towards fixing them, but it might not be enough of a step. The second one should've been obvious, make more player races, like the Orcs, or the Centaurs, Agua Goblins, etc. The more choices we have as players the more characters we make, which means the more SC related houses we buy. As to the last thing, marketing, as much as I hate to admit it, Zinj, and others are right. Second life was mentioned in 2 TV series, NCIS, and CSI NY, where is our name getting mentioned? It doesn't happen, when you google Everquest 1 or 2, all that comes up in the first page is our fan related articles, like zam and the wiki. There should be an active press interest in the game. If this game was a house it would be listed as an older model with bad plumbing, maybe termite infestation, and right next to a railroad track. Which is likely one reason SOE sold it in the first place. It needs work, but it can be successful again. I'm just not sure which one of the 3 areas would be the most profitable place to start, likely I got the order backwards. Overall the game is a good game, which I've said a few times, but those 3 areas can sink the good the good thing we have if we ignore them. Also it would be really nice if you could find a way to feed the mounts, especially the dinosaurs!
    Naramsin likes this.
  9. JediMasterBurst New Member

Before everyone starts hating on this idea. This community run bug has already proven its worth with DCUO, H1Z1, Planetside 2, and Landmark. I know for a fact that the devs and the community game testers regularly check this issue tracker and I can be happy to report that a good amount of the bugs in Landmark reported to this issue tracker were either fixed or is in the process of being fixed.

One major advantage of the issue tracker is the fact that once a bug is reported, other community members can add comments that can help the devs confirm and fix the bugs. Another major advantage is that list of bugs that are confirmed and unconfirmed are kept in separate groupings, thus its visually easier to tell which bugs are confirmed and being fixed (this tends to be a problem in the forums). In Landmark, many of the bugs once found were fixed with in just two weeks of being first reported using the issue tracker verses more than a month while using /bug. Below is a graph* with the current bug statistics for Landmark.

[IMG]

DCG: Tracked interially - Bugs that have been confirmed and is being fixed.
    Open - unconfirmed bugs
    Resolved - bugs that have been fixed.
    Closed - issues that has been closed by a moderator (most of them are repeat issues and issues cause by the same bug that is currently being tracked)
    Reviewed by moderator - issues reviewed by a community moderator that is not a developer.

This community based project is definitely a team effort, if the devs or the community fails to use this tool then bugs that might be important, might get delayed or never fixed. At least here is a way both sides can properly communicate about the outstanding issues.

Note: The graph is the current graph for landmark as of 9:00pm EST on 4/24/2015.
  10. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

any reason why it says "soeissuetracker" in the url and not something like "dbgissuetracker" ? lol. just sayin.
  11. Thand Well-Known Member

And of course it does not work with firefox. Only with internet explorer
    Pumarah likes this.
  12. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

LOL not to worry looks like my post was removed from this thread. No notice as to why...:(
  13. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

Just tested it with Chrome, IE, and Firefox. All worked fine for me.

Although people aren't actually posting bugs on there just stupid stuff, like "my server doesn't have a large population, can we have free xfer tokens" and "can we have a classic server".

So basically you're saying the in-game /bug feature doesn't work and that you need ANOTHER site to track them. Because if it did work, then...well you wouldn't need it, would you.
    Seefar likes this.
  14. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Not sure but probably for the same reason the forum site reads forums.station.sony.com and not forums.station.daybreak.com

I noticed that too. The drop-down menus don't work regardless if you use the Firefox browser or the Palemoon browser, but works just fine in Internet Explorer.
  15. Avek New Member

Seriously if you want to make this game better, put update version polls up for a year. Advertise it so all the old school EQ and eq2 fans will see it. And roll the servers back to that version and start fresh from there. Then listen to the 1000's of new subscribers you get. And don't ever veer from that. Please read this post. Eq2 WAS the best most addictive and rewarding game to ever grace ones PC. Eq2 is not antiquated it just needs a population. Divide the servers reduce the player count per server if needed to make it run smoothe for pvp.

Seriously if you guys can't do that you are pissing in the wind with improvements you know it's about the money at this point. If you want to make a lot more of it listen to this post and forget everything else.

This game was so awesome when I first started playing 10 years ago. I inspected someone and I was hooked. It took months and months to learn the game. And months and months before I was wearing that gear they had. But it was fun. Pvp sucks when you are trying to accomplish something simple solo. But it's realistic. You are in a land where anything can happen. And the longer you play and the more powerful you become you should be able to destroy a whole group by your self. An epic guild should be able to leave un looted chests all over the zone. They put in work just like the ones starting out. That's what makes it fun. If you have the drive and the want you can do it as well. If you can't follow the complex raid scripts then you can't win. All it takes is one weak link in the raid to cause it to fail. The story line is also awesome. Revive Nagafen ..... annnnd Go!
  16. Seefar Well-Known Member

/agree

The users here are players. The players are in the game. Pull the players out of the game so they're not available to play? Makes perfect sense. NOT!

To OP:
    Are /bug and /feedback broken? I've been using both for years. Sometimes it's been clear that someone is listening. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! TYFL.
  17. Nazztee Member

I have a bug that I've noticed semi-recently. The final hail on the Dwarven Ringmail heritage quest, the dwarf isn't at his location in kelethin, he's on the ground under kelethin, but you can't hail him there. I have t leave Kelethin and go to his location (or just target him on the way back from crushbone) then once he is targeted, go to where he is supposed to be and press H to hail, he will then warp up to his supposed to be location
  18. lifespell New Member

:D
    That made me giggle... and I'm not even a teenager :p
    Prissetta, Xilox Sin and Shiba like this.
  19. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

OK, I'm pretty sure that no one who is responsible for that site will do any tweaking or adjustment of the datafiles to skew anything at all towards their own personally preferred playstyle before giving DBG access to said files. Can DBG take that chance, however?
    Pumarah, Seefar and Kittybock like this.
  20. Kittybock Well-Known Member

When will /Reddit be added to slash commands?

IMHO, I thought players had done something similar for a long time, by asking on forums. I've responded and read those, seeing if it was something I could assist with and/ or accurate, etc. Many times the OP would get an answer fairly quickly as to whether it is genuine, before submitting a /bug. The players that try to help others on the forums are a fairly helpful lot.

Kitty
    Naramsin, Alenna and Dulcenia like this.