Help Us Make Our Games Better!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Hijinx Well-Known Member

But the bugs are not maintained on that site. Case in point: the bug with the adorning and tinkering dailies. That bug is fixed in today's patch. It's not even marked as tracked on that site.

No doubt there is internal bug tracking. Why bother maintaining another? As people have said, they are better off hiring actual customer service people. Give them access to the internal database. That would solve the problems.

Third party sites are a waste of time and effort on everyone's part.
    FriggaWitch and Crafti like this.
  2. Sasfer Member

I will not be using another third party site to point out things that can be done already as for help you improve you game., First I'd appreciate it you fix the Resource leaks and UI issues. I keep deleting the alertlog.txt and ui.txt as they keep reappearing. I attached them to a recent CS ticket for an issue and the fact this are filling up with errors never got mentioned.

Example from my Alertlog.txt this morning (already 1,700KB in size):

build="SOEBuild=11923L" version="SOEVersionString=2015/4/30 8:36:37" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="Camping" loc="681.86 58.07 772.50" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(126): Resource leak! (shaders/templates/particle_fast_add_fatline.vdl)"
    build="SOEBuild=11923L" version="SOEVersionString=2015/4/30 8:36:37" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="Camping" loc="681.86 58.07 772.50" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(126): Resource leak! (shaders/ui_fx/particleshaders/fast/spikedot_bright.vdl)"
    build="SOEBuild=11923L" version="SOEVersionString=2015/4/30 8:36:37" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="Camping" loc="681.86 58.07 772.50" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(126): Resource leak! (cooked/ui_fx/fx/scenes/default_bill.draw)"
    build="SOEBuild=11923L" version="SOEVersionString=2015/4/30 8:36:37" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="Camping" loc="681.86 58.07 772.50" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(126): Resource leak! (shaders/ui_fx/particleshaders/fast/star_r1_r.vdl)"
    build="SOEBuild=11923L" version="SOEVersionString=2015/4/30 8:36:37" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="Camping" loc="681.86 58.07 772.50" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(126): Resource leak! (shaders/templates/particle_fast_rot_add_projected.vdl)"
    build="SOEBuild=11923L" version="SOEVersionString=2015/4/30 8:36:37" build_type="USER OPTIMIZED" ls_address="none" zone="Camping" loc="681.86 58.07 772.50" performance="7" alert="G:\live\eq2\framework\resman\ResourceManager.cpp(126): Resource leak! (shaders/templates/particle_add.vdl)"

Example from Ui.txt 176KB in size

Couldn't load .xml
    :: Could not access resource eq2ui_Examine_.xml
    Encountered data outside of container tags

I'm getting fed up of deleting these constantly reappearing and growing files before I load up EQ2. When someone has an issue and sends these to your CS department the CS staff need to search through an enormous amount of needless information trying to identify a problem.
  3. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Angry? Not in the least. Whether we will frequent a third-party site, due to the disparity in moderation--that is the key, at least for me. DGC and SOE in the past, have done a stellar job keeping the trolls toned down here. There are few Third-Party forums upon which I will post. Once you have done so, it all can be Googled. Simply put, some gamers have not learned how to speak to others in a public venue.

Enjoy your successes there and those of us that prefer the community here, will do so.

Kitty
    Moonpanther, Crafti and FriggaWitch like this.
  4. Atan Well-Known Member

I have exactly no interest in voting on bugs.

I assume the in game bug report feature will automatically interface with this new website tool and I don't need to worry about that noise?
    Naramsin, Moonpanther, Alenna and 2 others like this.
  5. DarkTexasQA Volunteer Quality Assurance Assistant

It won't since its a third-party-site.
  6. Atan Well-Known Member

So the bug report feature in game was removed so there is no confusion?
  7. Crafti New Member

Pound shops in the UK are selliing everquest 2 not sure how much £1 in us dollers or other currencies is but its not good to see from a business point of view. ( pound shops are where all c**p stuff is sold and all cheap nasty foreign imported rubbish)
  8. Crafti New Member

devs frustrated? really they don't seem to be showing any interest in problem posts at least the soe devs used to post here to people check out the staff post tracker link at the top and see whats most important to them atm you'll see a lot of dev replies to the stupid oversized duck mount rather than posts regarding problems ingame and as this is the player support forum area why are no devs replying here?
    FriggaWitch likes this.
  9. Crafti New Member

I thought Daybreak (aka gamebreak) took on the soe stuff to improve it not to get players to improve it once the devs were fired and offices closed or are they just trying to milk hard earned cash from loyal players till they can't do it anymore. i used to look forward to new expansions and things in the marketplace but now i cannot foresee me spending out any more cash on db including renewing my subscription which was due to be renewed in 2 weeks time
    Thalador likes this.
  10. Crafti New Member

i got told that because i use profit ui i cannot hail the perin merc but they couldn't explain why he depopped when i tried to hail him someone asked if i'd done words of pure magic quest and tole em i completed it way back in 2010 and earlier than that on another character
  11. Arkcon New Member

This is a little off topic but more so then some of the posts I've read.

Something for the Devs.
    A GM once told me I had one of the oldest accounts for the Everquest games. I play the game as a hobby so I spend alot of time online. I think the longest I've went without playing was 1 or 2 weeks because a family member pasted away. If I added up the "/played" time for all my alts it would be years, not months or days.lol The Everquest series are the only games I know of that offer so much to do I still find things I missed while playing in older zones. I mostly play EQ2 now. I've seen a lot of change, some good, some bad. Moving to DBG is the biggest one. I know in order to keep the games up and running DBG needs to prove itself and needs to look at the bottom line. Because of that I've spent more on DB cash and even bought the Rum Cellar (which I having been in yet) to help the bottom line. I can't tell you I can continue spending all the time though. I don't want to see the Everquest games end.

I know there are fewer Devs which means more work for each of you. Thank you for the job you do.

These are not bugs but some of my thoughts.

1. The Green gems that drop in AoM, it would be nice if it was a pattern or box so you could choose which of the 3 you wanted.
    2. Removing the 92 level requirement from Cobalt Scar or Eidonlon Jungle/Obol Plains would help returning plays that were 90 get to 92. Then they can do ToV, etc. My wife and I had went back to our old server where most of the alts are 90. They already did the quests up to 90 Great divide / Eastern Wastes & Withered Lands so there was nothing available until they get to 92.
    3. To address some of the posts I've read maybe there could be a normal/hard mode of the older zones. Normal would be what they are now so players that don't group can see those zones. Hard would be like it was in that time. Adjust char stats to where a group zone would require a group. I know the end game is were the money's at but maybe this could be something on the burner. :)

A very loyal EQ2 player.
  12. Reggie777 Member

OK, here goes. Like the poster above, I've been with EQ2 now over 10 years. With two accounts, one for me, and the other for my stepson. EQ2 is the only game of its type I've ever played. So, I'm a long time player. I usually play solo, except when I group with my stepson to be able to get better loot/better dungeons.

To improve the game, I'd suggest getting away from the gambling aspect that has been creeping in. I'm referring to the ultra rare mercs, for example. The merc chests are a great idea. But I think the risk of getting something you don't want/need/use is too high for the price. The chests are tradeable. Good. But once opened, the coin isn't. Even with your own toons. To make it worse, once opened, you're stuck with it for that toon. To make it even worse, you can't examine the mercs, to see if they are rare or common unless you use the coin. What is the frequency of the rare drops? With collectible cards, they print a certain amount or rares, ultra rares per sheet,or per batch. But with electronic random generators, there is no guide that forces, say 1 per 1000 spawns. This is the flaw in electronic collections. The player could, literally, spend thousands of dollars and not get a specific card. So, I'd recommend maybe pricing the chests on a sliding scale, so elite chests might cost more, with the added possibility of the ultra rare being inside. Common chests would allow players to just get the new skins for old mercs, at a lower price. And make the coins hierloom, or tradeable on the market.

This leads to my second suggestion. And is along the same line. The elite mercs, e.g. Kenny. I am NOT recommending making him totally accessible. But I am suggesting you check the algorithms for the elite mercs spawn time, and randomness. To be specific, if Kenny is to spawn on only one of your many servers, and if by chance he comes to my server, we are already talking about 1 in 12 ? [I confess I'm not sure how many servers you have.] And then, if there are 10 possible spawn points, that adds a whole set of permutations. Then he only spawns every few days, another random factor. And to make it worse, I might not be on when he does. And if I am, I might not be quick enough to get to the location in time before someone else snags him. I'm all for making them harder to get. But in all the years I've played, I've never seen any elite merc at their spawn point. I've gotten the better mercs from the various expansions. And I managed to land Gorrd from a merc chest. But the normally spawning elite/rare mercs are just too rare. This leads to frustration. For example, just as an experiment, I've been watching for Kenny continuously since early monday morning, and no sign of him. Today is late morning, Wednesday. Reminds me the play "Waiting for Godot". You know? The one where Godot never comes?

I will continue to support EQ2, naturally. It is the best of its kind, in my humble opinion. I don't want to see it end. I'm giving Daybreak a chance, even with all the changes. I don't have problems with you charging for Rum Cellar. I don't have a problem with Campaigns. I don't have a problem with the concept of Merc Chests.[ Actually, I love the concept]. But please do something about the gambling on a random luck of the draw.

Thanks for listening.
  13. Veridius Member

I like the new bug-tracking system over on the other site. I think it'll be far more useful when people start participating, and when some of the garbage is weeded out on a regular basis... possibly with someone(s) (volunteers maybe?) who go through the submissions and makes sure they are classified appropriately (I mean, who doesn't think the issue they've run into is major or game-breaking? realistically, most are not).

If the developers actually pay attention to the submissions (and they have... I've seen bugs from the list fixed, including a submission or two I made) then it could create a good user/dev ecosystem once it spins up.
  14. seneth Active Member

Interesting that "DarkTexas QA" came over here from Planetrside and H1Z1 to try to talk us into adding yet another site to shoot bugs in. I don't play planetside nor H1Z1, so what is good for them is not always what is good for us. Its funny that
    SOE tracked and worked on our bugs, (altho not as fast as we liked) but I see no reason why this would work any better.
    TBH and blunt, I won't use it, I am here to play the game not fix it, I am not getting paid for that. I pay for the game and have for 11 yrs. Ingame bug reporting was the way I sent in a report IF it bugged me enough.
    DB can do the fix it job with the info I pass along or not. I have been here this long and will continue until you shut it down.
    Thats being said refer to my previous post. You have a gem here and your sitting on it instead pushing it to heights we can only guess.
    WOW is a cute game I like it, played it for about yr,, lost its luster,, now think, why hasn't EQ2 lost it luster even with all the bugs and the DB takeover,,its still THE GAME. Not stoopid zombie games, or Planetside. Wake up! Its lasted 11 yrs! Why?
    And still going strong even with all the problems,, imagine that.
    flameweaver likes this.
  15. Zookeeper Active Member

...................................................................................................................................................................................

I agree that the Forum here is THE place to put suggestions, report errors and problems that need resolution, and post information that is beneficial to players, and kudos for the things that we love about the game.

Moving to outside "social media" is a good way to get rid of some of those who use the forum to do those things.
    This is Social.
    This is also Media.
    We already have Social Media conveniently right Here. Why make players go somewhere else out of the way to get this information? The only obvious reason is very poor planning with the intent of "appearing to be innovative."

Some of us do not Tweet, Face, or whatever else is out there. Why move contact capability to some media that has nothing to do with EQII? That doesn't make much sense, unless there is an investment in a particular social media system or systems, and forcing reports to be sent to those media will (1) bolster the apparent use of those systems, making them appear to have greater worth, 2) remove pertinent announcments of items that need troubleshooting from the view of the rest of the players here, so that they may not notice that there is a problem before running into it head-on, and/or 3) it will elminate some reports that should be taken into consideration because those who discover problems but do not use social media other than this forum will then be unable to make those reports.

This is the forum that is integrated with the game. This is the place where we can conveneiently list problems and glitches,
    and discusss new ideas, and praise those things that make us ecstatically giddy with pleasure.
    The thought of disrupting the convenient flow of ideas here by forcing players to engage in outside social media is not a good move.
    Innovation is not always good. BIG is not always "better."

IF the big problem now is the "Bug Report" mechanism, simply rewrite the one we got when we type /Bug to get the form to fill in and report the bug. We already HAVE a bug-report.
    Also revamp the Petition form to be more User-Friendly. The drop down menu with sub-categories that require clicking a |> that is not noticeable or labeled, should be revamped.
    IF those are revamped to be more user friendly, including simple and complete step-by-step instructions on how to submit a screenshot or other item for inclusion, there shouldn't be any problem, and no one will need to leave game to use some social
    media that is not game related, and which many will not want to utilize, therefore shutting them out of any means to make
    a petition or submit a bug report.
    Merriel and GrunEQ like this.
  16. Veridius Member

I couldn't disagree more. Forums are full of stupid... and that tends to come in the form of long posts about irrelevant opinion, spammy jokes, people fighting over nothing, and so on. Add to that the fact that everyone feels their words are made of spun gold, and any attempt to remove the drivel is met with unending angry recriminations.

For things that are trivial and irrelevant, like long op-ed pieces or "kudos" then sure, forums are great for those - primarily because they can be completely ignored by the developers without losing out on important information.

I enjoy using forums, but as a developer myself I've never found them particularly useful in the development process as compared to systems like JIRA which force (well, encourage) people to be to-the-point with their bug reports and where the garbage can be deleted without starting a firestorm. It's safe to assume that every player has easy access to a web browser, and there's little need to reinvent the wheel by trying to create a similarly featured bug system inside the game itself - one that needs a client update any time there's any change to it, unlike a webpage.

It's going to come down to Daybreak's own preference, not the users'. Users want bugs fixed... and if Daybreak is only listening to bug reports in one place then bugs that you want fixed you report there or you just live with them. It is in our best interest to make the process of receiving and interpreting bug reports as easy as possible.
  17. Zookeeper Active Member

I agree that the Forum here is THE place to put suggestions, report errors and problems that need resolution, and post information that is beneficial to players, and kudos for the things that we love about the game.
  18. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

So first we were directed to Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with what the devs are doing. Then reddit. Now another third-party website with a tracker that was put together by players, not devs.

Can you give us the short-list of which sites are in contention for the next info-source jump? I'd like to get a head start on integrating with the communities.
  19. Veridius Member

Absolutely! I enjoy forums, and I enjoy having discussions with other users... I just think they're much too chaotic (and enjoyably so) to be useful to serious developers who want to cut through all the crap and get right to work.. and any developer that is going to get things done is going to be like that.

If you have enough support staff you can have some sort of social middleware that pulls out the gems from the sea of garbage to forward on, but established bug tracking systems are faster and easier to upkeep.
  20. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

Except there's no indication that the devs are the ones upkeeping the bug tracking system. It's right in the first post:

"Some members of our community have built the Daybreak Community Issue Tracker."

Usually when they talk about the community, they mean us, the players. We've already had reports in this thread of bugs not even marked as confirmed on the tracker but addressed in the update notes, which further indicates this is not a dev tool.

If the devs aren't the ones upkeeping and managing it, it is just another place for players to post and debate issues.
    Merriel likes this.