Help Us Make Our Games Better!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Poopcicle Member

This whole thread might have been taken serious about 8 years ago....Now you basically have proven to all the player base you have no interest in bettering the game your just here for the cash grab. Don't insult us with this ploy at now caring about this game.
    Wirewhisker, Xilox Sin and Pumarah like this.
  2. Steelviper Active Member

No offense, but - hire some people to work on your games. We're here to play the game, not to work on it for you. We're paying for it already with subscriptions and other things, and often get to feel the shaft anyway.
  3. Feara Well-Known Member

Thanks Jedi for the post. I was looking for some answers.

This is what I was looking for. So it's visually easier for the Team. I will go there today and try this out. I have a small bug I have wanted to report. I am only doing this for the Team and nothing else. I do feel strongly that bugs/feedback should be reported first in game and second on the official forums. In game is where most players will report.
    Naramsin and Seefar like this.
  4. Dilligax Member

@ Daybreak yeah this all looks good on paper , however every MMO i have ever played has "bugs" , "glitches" but what about the real issues with the game , such as not being able to log on , getting kicked off game while zoning or changing toons , LAG, among the rest of issues that really effect game play . i know some of us play with not so great PC's but there are a lot of posts from player who claim to have high end machines and yet still have problems. personaly i dont see the need to have multiple places to post ,, this fourm is fine with me , but then again i would rather be on the game than coming here to post issues that seem to fall on deaf ears ,, my 2 cp's worth .. and to whoever changed my screen name to Dilligax please change it back to ---------Dilligad - freeport
    Crafti, Naramsin and Pumarah like this.
  5. Nooks New Member

You should have 1 location to track and status bug reports and that should be IN GAME ONLY. When you outsource the bug tracking for your game, you show your user community that you really have no interest in fixing your product. If you really want to improve the bug tracking, fix the in game function to be efficient and effective, don't wait for others to do it for you.
    Crafti, Moonpanther, Naramsin and 2 others like this.
  6. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

My thought is improve your own Official Forums; a centralized place where everyone knows where to go instead of all over the internet. If the ablitlity is to be able to up and down vote, then why don't you put that functionality into these forums, though I think it would encourage griefing. I would like to see Agree and Disagree buttons for posts. I've read that "likes" make no difference to the Devs which indicates that up and down voting is going to be pretty much treated the say way.

Improve your own ingame functionality if it is not serving you well and/or the Official Forums, don't send us on a wild goose chase to find the info we both need.
  7. Thalador Active Member

It simply amazes me. Fire staff and ask us to do QA work? Thanks, but no thanks.
    Crafti, Wirewhisker and Seefar like this.
  8. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Personally I'll stick to these forums...not making an account on reddit, twitch, tweets, twitter, chirps, spasms, not making an account on whatevertheheck this one is either, just staying with the forums.
  9. Alenna Well-Known Member

it is a known bug for lots of npcs and the devs are as frustrated as we are about it been going on for a few years
  10. Pumarah Member

Myself, I am against using Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, et al. All are subject to hackers, and unwanted ads, something you don't get in the forums here. The forums are safer from hacks, and stay on the subject of OUR game, and does not try and sell you some one else's phony "free to play game" that's really a 'Free to PAY game'. Time to bring EQ back home to our forums, and get these idiots who insist we go to unsafe places off the employment roster if they can't be fully loyal to our game in a safe and proper manner. (Looks pointedly at SMED).

Oh an before I do forget, let's also not forget those other sites and their TOS, you know the one that most folks never read and just 'accept' and later discover they have the right to use all your personal information as they see fit which includes selling it to even less unscrupulous sites for a profit, and get you subjected to the aforementioned hacker attacks. I tried Facebook and Twitter with a special account I made just for them, and within 36 hours, had hackers from Russia trying to get in. Thankfully I also loaded this account to bear with several protective programs to KEEP SUCH OUT. But it goes to show, you just can't trust these third company sites.
  11. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Here's some ideas :
    • Stick with this website for this game, no Reddit, no Bluitt, No Brownnit, no Twitter, no Flipper, no Flappjacker, no PitterPatter, no KnickKnackPattyWhack., no FrumiousBandersnatch. Just this bulletin board website you are reading right here.
    • Make an up-vote/down-vote ability as opposed to plain old "Like".
    • Someone said earlier that you need more than one website in case the main site gets DDoSed or hacked and the main website goes down temporarily. It seems the better solution would be one or two more mirrored sites. Mirrored sites are good for backup but also serve as a way to stay in touch with the customer base when the main site is down, and is what any smart company has done to keep from losing their data.
  12. Zookeeper Active Member

........................................................................................................

There are suggestions for reporting on various media. I use the /bug report in-game. I don't use social media, and I'm not about to join Facebook, Twitter, etc. just to be able to report bugs in EQII.
    It would be easier to use the in-game reporting if the setup for signing in and choosing what you are reporting your issue was improved. You can report bugs in game with /bug. The problems occur when you are reporting problems and end up on the customer support page. You have to click the little |> to get to the proper designation and it is not always noticeable, especially if it is your first time using that support page. If that page were redesigned and clarified, and all of the options were avaialable by header to choose from, which set you up with a form that had clear instructions, such as how to include a screen shot or make any other appropriate attachment, that would solve the problem for those of us who may want to report bugs, or give feedback, or report a problem in-game, or make a suggestion.
    The form is there. Sometimes it seems a bit inadequate when it comes to definitive instructions in places where instruction is needed.
    That should be revamped and coordinated with the in-game /report so that those of us who do not hang out on other social media are not forced to get a social media account just to report bugs or anomalies in game, or make suggestions for consideration to improve some ambiguity or inequality in-game.
  13. Aelissa Well-Known Member

Dear Daybreakians,
    I am normally the ray of sunshine that everyone wants to sucker punch for being overtly positive...so please understand that my criticism on this isn't a fleeting thought meant to troll your ideas. This is the 2nd idea that is completely misnomer. The game already has a feedback and bug report system in place, please go ask SOE the password for it. It's completely unfair to those of us that rarely frequent forums to have to take extra time out of our lives to set up accounts elsewhere (what's wrong with this forum?!) and figure out how to report an issue that's happening IN GAME.
    Secondly, asking players to transfer off of the only fun server left in the game that has an active population without even offering to allow them to transfer their guildhalls is ridiculous. It also creates more issues, you will now have more people spread out miserable, starting to regret paying a monthly sub when there is no one on to group with on those servers.
    A few resolutions could be to merge two smaller servers, follow EQ1's trend on this the game may last a few more years at best. Make Dungeons and Group finders & Raid options open to all servers would be a good viable option that would allow players to spread out a little more. Lastly updating the servers or making a larger server dedicated to handle the bigger load of players in the future. "mega server"?!
    This could be an amazing investment because EQ2 is a very unique game with long time followers from EQ1, if it's spruced up and presented in mass to the new influx of MMOG players it could be revived. A little advertising would go a long way.
    Lastly, please don't rip off your long time subscribers who just bought xpacs by making them buy new content a few weeks later. We support the game and have for many years, a bone every now and again will usually keep the dogs from biting you.
    Prissetta, GrunEQ, Kittybock and 3 others like this.
  14. Katmandu26 Active Member

I'm surprised by the community reaction to this post. Most users would go, "Yay, they're going to fix some bugs that SOE has been ignoring! I'll go vote up my favorite bug and get it fixed!" Instead, folks are trashing them for not using the in-game feature and complaining about using other social media. Whoa, whoa, whoa! Stop kicking the gift horse in the mouth. Instead of complaining, maybe ask if the in-game feature still works. I'd bet they'd be happy to keep using that, too, if you just asked about it. I really don't see this as a negative thing; give these guys a chance.

As someone else said, they go to where the players are, and this is a community created tool. Don't be afraid of new or different things just because they're new or different.

And to Daybreak - can we still use the in-game tool effectively?

Thanks for listening and no offense intended to anyone on any level. Happy playing!
    Laiina and matsuo like this.
  15. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Actually, I pretty much agree with you. Better yet, since they've gone with the route of moving all this on Reddit, wouldn't it have been simpler to have added some Volunteer GM's to Forum Staff to get this done, rather than attempt to migrate us to third party?

I've thought about this and, IMHO,the only good outcome(s) from moving your customer-base to a 3rd party platform would be less staff (aka cost effective) and/ or in the event the company changed hands again or a game was sunset, so that said customer-base could still be contacted.
  16. Kittybock Well-Known Member

I made one, Dulcenia....but used it the one day only. It was not like we are here, sadly. :(

*insert Kitty rant warning*

I'd created a Reddit account and--true story--one of the first EQ2 threads I was involved in, they started slamming those that were positive, saying that it MUST BE DBG employees that were downvoting their thread. NO, their thread was being downvoted by those of us players that were trying to support the game. That being said, one of the discussions in that or another thread quickly spun off into comments comparing others to portions of the male anatomy. (trying to parse it here, w/o getting banned), I've noticed that this is a fave thing to do on a lot of 3rd party gamer sites, hence I don't bother with them. Nope, I am not a prude, but when you have to resort to that kind of talk on a public forum, you have already lost . One thing I enjoyed in EQ2's forums was the fact that players were reined in...a solid community effort. Can I talk that way, sure. Do I, nope and I don't want to see it on a public forum where the crowd is mixed.

The anonymity of the internet allows some players to be utter tools. You never know whom is behind that monitor.;
    Be Nice. There is a player behind the toon!!!

*end kitty rant*
  17. Katmandu26 Active Member

I really, really like this post - well said.

I understand the dislike of other sites but a more positive attitude will always go a long way. It never ceases to amaze me how a simple, positive post by a developer, or a poll to ask a question, is taken so badly. Concerning the recent poll, it was a simple question - not a forced march to another server, although some are treating it that way.

This post here is just about another way to obtain data to make the game better - one made by us, the players!! Don't come down on DB for using it, cheer and be happy that they do want to fix broken things. It's like the baby is being thrown out with the bath water. If you don't want to use the extra site - don't. Instead ask and continue to reiterate that you prefer the tool provided in game, if you do. Don't bash things that other players might actually use just because it's something you don't like.

I'm still divided about how DB will affect the game or keep it running long term, but I can certainly applaud efforts and perhaps others should get behind that too, instead of assuming that they are out to ruin things. Really, I can't imagine that they are.

I want to add another point, too, and this is for the folks saying "hire more people." It doesn't matter how many people they hire or don't hire, there's no possible way that every bug can be found by a software tester. I used to test software for a bank before I retired, and we were taught that with millions of lines of code, you have to debug major features in a virtual box between points (sorry if that makes no sense). I'm sure that there are many articles online about such things, but it boils down to the fact that no tester can possibly test every single outcome in millions of lines of code. Could they be more thorough with more people? Of course - but we're going to see things they never will. If we report the bugs that they miss, we're all better off for it.
    Prissetta, Finora and Kittybock like this.
  18. Xilox Sin New Member

They don't own www.daybreak.com at this time, so they can't move the subfolders for station, and forums over. What they do own is www.daybreakgamecompany.com but all they did with that was 301 redirect it back to soe.com. So while they could move them over there they don't, for whatever reason, probably because even they know that that URL is ridiculous at 19 chars. The whole soeissuetracker instead of daybreakissuetracker naming thing is them just being lazy however, no two ways about it.

This whole thing just reeks of poor planning, and lack of communication, among other rather elementary problems that are somewhat surprising coming from such a large company, namely Columbus Nova (then again, their website is pretty weak, content-wise itself).

Anyways, thanks for the new way to report bugs, Daybreak, we didn't need it, but thanks. Like others have said though, you have bigger problems than how you receive and confirm bug reports. Basically, your marketing sucks. For example, a guy (21 years old) I work with was telling me how he just "resubbed" WoW after not playing since the Burning Crusade days, I told him, "You should play Everquest 2 instead". He quickly googled it on his phone and said, "Ohh, Daybreak Games, never heard of it".

There are at least two big problems demonstrated there:

1. There is no equity in the name Daybreak (and again, you don't even own the domain name, you should have picked something that was available lol)
    2. Your marketing has been just garbage for so long that you've lost brand recognition for the Everquest franchise in at least one viable demographic, how is that even possible? Why would a 21 year old who has past experience with MMO's need to google Everquest 2? Shouldn't the word Everquest be instantly recognizable to a "gamer"?

So yeah, an unknown company name, coupled with a ridiculously long URL 301'd back to soe's domain, and you've somehow managed to lose brand recognition for the very word (Everquest) that I would consider to be your "franchise" tag.

Maybe the Community Team that did the work for you in regards this new "upvoting" bug submission method, should also pay for and start marketing your products for you, sounds like a great idea huh? Not really.

Again, thanks for the new way to report bugs, I'll use it when I see fit, but were I you, I'd consider the issues outlined here to be of at least equal, if not more, importance. Sorry if this seems negative, please think of it as constructive criticism, I truly wish that this game had a thriving community. Maybe merge a couple servers so new subs don't think the game is dead if and when they try it out, think about resetting/releasing some of the more popular names tied up by longtime inactive accounts so new subs can get names they want, and market this freaking thing, or at least pretend to.

I know it's tacky, like "Liking" your own Facebook posts, but hey. Consider the issues explained herein "upvoted" by the poster, as they're not really bugs I have no alternative.
    Prissetta, Malleria, GrunEQ and 2 others like this.
  19. seneth Active Member

I sense a reluctance on DB as well as I did on SOE's part to advertise this game and why is beyond me. If you are waiting until its perfect and all bugs are fixed, you will wait a long time, there is NO perfect bug free game. Get off your duffs and advertise this game as the longest running greatest game out there. Put some major oompf into it. You are missing out on sooo much biz its freightening. You do realize you have loyal people who have been here for 11 yrs,I am one,,, this game gets in your blood. It's dayumm hard to leave unless you are one of the "git it done quick and run" people. No more dumming it down, no more talk of 20 sites to drop off bug complaints, just advertise this Game!.
    Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees DB,, look past the trees SEEEEEE the forest,, its there for the taking, but you have to get off your duff and go for it.
    As for me, I will use and report bugs ingame,, not on any other site, we have a forums,, we have ingame bug reports, we do not need anything else. Reddit is a pitiful site, no control, not limits,, no restraint. In other words its goobers going there to post.
    As far as facebook, Oh puhleaseee... Twitter,, one lil line is not enough to tell about some bugs.. We do not need new sites, we need new attitudes,, someone in DB to get the nerve to advertise in a Major way, give this game a shot in the arm. YOU have the most awesome opportunity here to make something HUGE out of this game and all you want to do is add another useless site. Come 'onnnn do the right thing. ADVERTISE the game!
  20. seneth Active Member

I feel like that Scotts guy on the grass feed commercial,, FEEEED IT, can't you hear the millions of lil screaming voices?
    Prissetta and GrunEQ like this.