Have any monks beaten the Solo Splitpaw Champion yet?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

I think Torrent of the Ages is broken, and is going to be fixed soon :)
  2. ARCHIVED-Seyn Guest

True Gage. Though I hvae noticed that a non translucent torrent doesnt do what its supposed to. The fully **** version of the potion is working great for me. Just picked up a new one last night and it seems to be working pretty well adds a good 10-15% to my total DPS. Could be different between servers but on unrest the translucent one works great and the regular one might proc once a fight. After getting my new one and then doing very difficult champ it was a sickening increase in my DPS for that fight. Also looks so cool when you double proc torrent and imbued weaps at the same time during a flurry hit hehe. Happened to me last night and not only did all teh spell effects at once just look cool but champ went from 60% hp to 35% in one skill with all that procing. Hopefully the fix torrent towrok at all its levels and fix it to at least work on all teh servers equally. Is the best dps potion there is when it works the way its supposed to.
    Message Edited by Seyn on 07-07-2005 08:00 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-bonesbro Guest

It's a bug. It's a poison, not a potion. The poison used to be broken and in the process of fixing it they accidentally changed it from using Poison skill to Magic Affinity skill. It really sort of surprises me that it wasn't fixed immediately though.
  4. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Ok..this is probably a silly point, but that's never stopped me before -

As we all know, Monks have good streaks and bad streaks when taking or avoiding damage. Perhaps this is just importamt a factor as uber gear and tactics? I mean, if you get a nasty run of luck it probably doesn't matter how fabled you are, does it?

Maybe the best way to defeat this chap is to get geared up, play it smart and, finally, just hope for the best? Maybe eventually those random numbers will fall your way...(Are there 'luck' potions available anywhere?)
  5. ARCHIVED-Cyngii Guest

Just out of curiousity what is the reward item from beating the Champion?
  6. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Well, technically, all the monks who haven't beaten him have to clean the houses of those that have. I'm not sure how the other classes do it but apparently the Shadowknight thing is a little creepy.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cyngii Guest

Well actually i just wanted to make sure i still get a flaming boar head.... my pet pig ticked me off so I make him stare at flaming boar heads all day. Sorry to go off topic...
  8. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Yeah its the flaming boar head, a random item, and the mushroom pet.
  9. ARCHIVED-DainAiyeren Guest

That was the answer for me. It took me 2 attempts at the event, I died with him at about 40% the first time, then succeeded on my second try (sort of). What worked for me was to make a stab at him, then as that failed run to the bottom corner of the zone (in the little terraporter bone looking thing at the bottom of the main arena room, not the tunnel, he won't aggro you there) and FD there until he broke. I jumped up as soon as he reset, rebuffed, healed up, and swapped out a couple of buffs then tried again. Rinse, repeat about 5 times until I had a combo that seemed to work well for me and he fell with me at 35% hp, no power and heal unused.
    The only other thing I did was swap in some of my old grey defensive buffs that I have not used in ages. The avoidance and mit boosts from those made a world of difference in the hand to hand combat, especially once I started running low on power.
    For all I know, it may have been pure luck with a good damage streak after what was essentially 6 tries at the fight (if you consider FDing another attempt). I haven't been back to test that out.
    Message Edited by DainAiyeren on 07-07-2005 05:17 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-L1m3y Guest

i found yellowtooth harder than the champ. As for people not being able to do harclave and the like? I complete that every time even on difficult and very difficult with that buff its impossible to die.
  11. ARCHIVED-toten88 Guest

SHHH,im just trying to get copied to test center :smileywink: lol
  12. ARCHIVED-hayaikaze Guest

Seyn, great post, but I am more than a bit curious about your mention of "Torrent of The Ages". I am a lvl 45 monk and thought up to this point that we are not able to use poison of any kind. Could you please elaborate on how you are able to use it. I saw a follow-up post from Bones indicating that it was incorrectly labeled as Magic Affinity. Is that why you are able to equip it? Is it listed as a potion and not a poison? Also, this might have nothing to do with it, but you are using Cestii, which do no not do crusing damage. Is that a factor? Thanks in advance for the help. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts for months and hope to chime in now and again.
  13. ARCHIVED-Sysiphus7 Guest

Now that Torrent of the Ages is out of the bag.... its the Monk's black tar herion. It can give a good 10-20% more DPS. This poison is bugged and under magic Affinity. You equip it like any poison and bam.... an extra proc.
    Don't get used to it. I know when they fix this many monks will be jones'n.
  14. ARCHIVED-Dandelize Guest

I can tear the champion up on my Monk. My 40 Guardian in legendary and fabled only cant doit. Must, get ... last ... 10 % ... ERggg
  15. ARCHIVED-Seyn Guest

Yeah Torrent of Ages is a rare poison that its mislabeled atm so it works just like any potion you would want. It'll get fixed eventually so if you do buy them just get one at a time hehe. With or without though the champ isnt too bad. Its really once you break him once you'll never lose again hehe. I use torrent mostly for raiding and such but its always up on my buff bar hehe. AS far as teh slashing vs. crushing. Not entirely sure if he is more resistant to one or the other. But I kinda think of it this way. If you in RL were fighting a large dog would you rather have a stick or would you rather have an 18" Rambo Knife hehe. I have tried 2handcrush on this guy and it jsut doesnt hit like it should. I use a imbued cedar bo staff 2hander and against normal mobs and such I'll hit at about 160-220 a shot. Against champ i was lucky to get 1 shot in for over 150. most in the 130-140 range. I use slashing almost all the time regardless of mobs but really only change my weapons for raids. I'll do some parseing with the different weapon types and see if I come up with anything definative.
  16. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

FINALLY! On the fifth attempt the champ is bashed up. Thanks to everyone for their tips - for the record I used 2H imbued cedar bo and Thundering Fists instead of Spider Stance. Now all I have to do is do it again and remember to get a bloody screenshot ....
  17. ARCHIVED-Jezekiell Guest

Congrats.
  18. ARCHIVED-wsheph Guest

Level 49/50 monk beat the pit champion.

No masters, no fabled, just legendary weapons and the benefit of having dinged 50 just after entering the arena. (him dead, me 3% life and no power) -- and all that for another boars head and a vendor trash bracelet. :)

But at least i beat him.

Tuckerby
    Blackburrow
    Guild Leader of Balance
  19. ARCHIVED-Squidwalker Guest

While agree this mob is tough, I don't think it's impossible. I have not beat him yet, but only tried once. It actually took me two tries to get to him. The multi mob group are really tough for me having a low agi for a monk. I just BARELY made them using tactics, and swapping weapons during the fight. You see I'm a dwarf monk, so my agi is rather low, but my str is rather high and my dps is higher then most monks my level. If I go DW my agi is boosted to 100 self buffed. When I go to my 2H which gives me higher dps I'm only about 90 agi. I'm a level 33, and only just got darting sparrow after my fights here.
    Unfortunately I had to use FD during one of the multi mob fights and thus couldn't recast staggering stance. :( Baaad for me. But I ran up to him, stunned right off, while stunned I cast FOTM so I didn't get hit while casting that looong casting spell. I hit him for dmg then another stun while I did everburning buff and gnoll mastery rage. Two hastes now with a big slow 2H doing lots of dps and a procing dot. I hit my stuns and "interupting taunts" when ever they refreshed smashing him with my attacks in between. We were about equal health and power wise. Unfortunately I didnt' have a stun ready to use when I needed mend, so while casting mend he hit me for about same amount mend healed. (its adept1)
    Needless to say we were both OOP and showing red health bars. My gnoll master rage was worn off and not refreshed yet. So basically he autoattacked me to death. He had about a half a bar of health left. Soooo close. I think if I can have my staggering stance up still when I get to him, and maybe buy a health potion, I'll do it np. I know the tactics to use, I just need a sliiight edge on him.
    Again, I'm only level 33, dwarf monk. Average grear really except maybe my 2H staff. I had level 40 food and drink, all my CA are adept1 or App4. And the fight was very close.
  20. ARCHIVED-denomad Guest

Just took him down last night with my 33 monk. This was about my 6th attempt at him so not much of a victory but the revenge was well worth the previous defeats.
    Used Sweeping Crane (hadn't thought of Thundering Fists but that would've been a good idea), ran out of power with me at about 60% health and him at 40%. Both of us hit 20% at about the same time at which point he used up the rest of his power with heals and put him at about 30% to my 20%.
    It then felt like 5 mins of us swinging and missing each other, occasionally connecting and occasionally regening enough power to get a stun off. He fell to the ground with me at less than 100hp's.
    Got a crappy priest item, my teleport shard, and another boars head to add to my collection.