Have any monks beaten the Solo Splitpaw Champion yet?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-bonesbro Guest

You don't think that there should be something in the game that only someone exceptionally skilled and well geared can attempt? Personally, I like the idea that there's something that's just bloody hard and that I can look forward to one day being able to accomplish. If I could just waltz in there and devastation fist him it wouldn't have any feeling of accomplishment. It would just be an instapop named mob with a guaranteed loot drop.
  2. ARCHIVED-bonesbro Guest

Very nice post Bewts! Congrats on working out the strategy to win - and thanks for coming here to post it :)
  3. ARCHIVED-Reposado Guest

[IMG]

Same crap loot.. yet another boar head..
    Message Edited by Reposado on 07-03-2005 06:44 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-Zzipz Guest

well, i can get to Phosam Stoneblend, 0-2. can anyone tell me a good stratigy? also, how many mobs are there to get to champion?

my gear is ok, if curious, look for Zzip Loque on Guk server. any help would be great

BTW im a lvl 44 monk
  5. ARCHIVED-AdiX__Styxx__ Guest

i did it with my guard / my coercer / and my priest and he was easy with all three ! go figure!
    Guard has 2 fabled armor pieces all the rest is legendary and at lvl 50
    Coercer has all common gear nothing special but most spells are masters and adept 3 the important ones anyways and she is at lvl 38 now dont even have entrall yet but stil did it on very hard!
    Defiler has also all common gear he had the hardest time with it but made it out wiht 20% Health at the end lvl 36 too,
    I did it on all three lvls started with hard got owned with all three toons the first time but did it wihtout any potions or whatever just went in without knowing what to expect then went in for a second run and took it down easily after swopping my gear a lil to the correct resist gear! just get it to 3/4 k resist and he is a sinch common you monks should be able to do it if a coercer can read the coercer forums we seem to be the worsed soloing class out there! but still i managed to do it......
    PS: i am baffled that monks have trouble! KUDDOES to you gage finally a great post from yas!
  6. ARCHIVED-Lebru1 Guest

The Champion isnt that hard go through your skills read and understand them. Ive beat him 3 times using this tactic.
    Soon as you see him enter arena i charge him use Silent Fist ( Use any stun/stifle abilitie you have)
    Then i use Gnoll Mastery and lay into him ( He will be at about 50% after i cycle thru my specials once)
    Use Ho's if you still have problems go get a damage shield potion off the vendor.
    Also raise your divine, disease and mitigation for physical attacks doing this will make him even easier.
  7. ARCHIVED-Perfidious1 Guest

lvl50 monk here on Najena (the only place to be ;) ).
    I took out the champ yesterday. was kinda easy when using the skills to the max.
    I haven't got even ONE fabled item, all tier5 rare crafted.
    no potions was used either. just rush him with charging tiger thus stunning him, jup behind him,
    silent fist, he turns, icy talon, jump behind again, lunging mongoose. keep doing that. no haste spells, he will only hurt you more.

just do as I did and you shouldn't have any probs.
    O and I used the gnoll mastery :)
    Message Edited by Perfidious1 on 07-03-2005 03:17 PM
  8. ARCHIVED-Parrot665 Guest

Beat him my first try last night, but it was by the very slimmest of margins - - seemed like he went on a nice streak for about 15 seconds where he damaged me more than the rest of the fight combined. I'm not fabled out by any means - I've got a fabled tunic which imo shouldn't even be tagged as fabled, and some very nice fistwraps that I left in my bag for that fight assuming I'd want the mana from my SM more than a little more DPS (sadly, I don't think it ever proc'd during the fight and I'll definitely use different weaps next time). I used a Legendary potion for STR/STA, clickie rings, and food of course. No gnoll master's which didn't help, but I think that was balanced by getting lucky with my hex doll before the fight started :)
    All in all, it was a helluva fight, and one of the funnest solo fights I've had in this game. I'm glad I couldn't walk in and own the guy because it gave me a real sense of accomplishment winning with only about 100ish HP left (no - I'm not exaggerating).
    Normal monks can definitely win this encounter without cheating - as for other classes, I have no idea - when I clicked into the thread I'm pretty sure I came to the monk forums, not Ranger, Zerker, or Mystic. (I'll forgive the Bruisers lurking around here :p )
    Genoshen
    50 Monk
    The Legionnaires of Light, Blackburrow Server
  9. ARCHIVED-WAPCE Guest

Do you have anything to back your statement up, Dev Gage-Mikel? This was reported on the Testers Only forum on the 25th with no response, and has since been suggested for use as a tactic by developers in lieu of class balance.
  10. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Just that it was reported as a "bug" in the CS forum and BG said he was forwarding it to the proper team, so I figured it wasn't intended. /shrug
    I've been wrong before, and for clarification I'm not a dev, I'm just a player ;)
    Message Edited by Gage-Mikel on 07-03-2005 08:32 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-splenda Guest

did anyone try devistation fist on him ?
  12. ARCHIVED-Bewts Guest

I had considered that strat myself splenda, but I don't have the skill yet as I primarily solo everything I do and rarely group I couldn't get people to come in and help me complete the quests so I could buy the skill. If I understand correctly, it has to be an even con or below mob with no arrow modifiers and not of epic proportions? Please correct me if I am wrong...
  13. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

It says target too powerful on every mob in the arena iirc.
  14. ARCHIVED-Twilightside Guest

I have tried this guy about 15 times. I havent tried bugging his level down to dev fist level, and I dont care to beat him with a bunch of potions.

I want to know how this can be a reasonable guidepost of a lvl 52 solo mob, though. Even when I hit every 30 seconds with Silent Fist he manages to get off enough art/spells to wreck the 20-40% lead I get. I know gear is part of it, I have some grey stuff on just to min/max agi - my monk is Ogre 8).

I have tried lots of equipment combinations.

Its not the difficulty that frustrates me so much as the fact that the classes that seem to do best are some of the worst solo classes in the game. My wife can sleep through the fight with her templar. Why even bother with increased difficulty levels when the normal is so underconned. I can almost get to Pit Champion every time without even using arts...then bam.

Anyway, my two cents. Gratz to yall that can take him, but I think all this feedback should get poured into the "class rebalance". Monks ought to be the caster bane of melee circles, not to mention decent pit fighters in solo situations. Monks from any other game of this genre I can think of also get decent bonuses for resisting magic effects or immunities to poison/disease effects etc. There's lots of things that can be done to give us a niche in soloing or even tanking.

This pit champ is a perfect example of what's wrong with Monks, not to mention how much the Agility nerf DOESNT matter in some fights.

Nataraja Jagganatha
    Ogre Monk
    Praetorian Guild
    Nektulos
  15. ARCHIVED-bonesbro Guest

You can deathtouch at least the plague rat and the treasure chest. :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Moskito Guest

had no problem at all.
    solo arena, solo difficult and brutal.
    got three times the same reward
  17. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Ooh - I have another question before I go and get my head kicked in again - is it preferable to use 2H or DW against this chap?
    I can use either pristine imbued augmented leather fistwraps, or pristine imbued augmented cesti, or cedarwood bo. Better stats or less ripostes?
    I can't have all you Monks beating him and me not. I just can't!

Btw - thanks to bonesbro for the tips thus far - I have set up my hotbars based on your advice and shall, of course, be holding you personally responsible when I [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] it all up again.
  18. ARCHIVED-Jezekiell Guest

In any tanking scenario you'll want to be using a two-handed weapon to lessen the amount of ripostes, they simply do far too much damage that is not compensated by anything a duel-wield setup can offer, unless I suppose if you have so vastly superior DW weapons compared to the two-handed weapons available, which really isn't the case with the current itemization.
  19. ARCHIVED-Nahlis Guest

Still haven't managed it as a 48 Bruiser. Haven't tried since I made 49. Closest I've gotten was him down to 3% health. Of course my next blow which might have aced him missed and I went down. D'oh!
  20. ARCHIVED-upwardspiral Guest

has anyone beaten him on the most difficult level?

i got him on the easiest...and its close every time on the middle difficulty. havent tried the hardest yet.

Upwardspiral
    50 Monk/Provisioner
    Unrest