Have any monks beaten the Solo Splitpaw Champion yet?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Cusashorn, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Oh I see how you are :p
  2. ARCHIVED-mikemonk Guest

48 monk here. Killed champion on 2nd attempt with about 30% hps to spare. I think i have only average gear. Fun fight though. Was quite worried after the first fight that i would get slammed again, but managed to fair pretty well.

Flyun
    48 monk
  3. ARCHIVED-Buckeye Guest

As a lvl 50 Swash, I have had a tough time killing the pit champ--am 0 for 2 currently. I tried kiting him both times with no success. Will try going toe to toe with self buff potions next time and see if it makes a difference.
  4. ARCHIVED-TunaBoo Guest

Both our 50 monks smashed his face in, no problems for them at all.
  5. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Well I can't beat him. I've only tried once, mind you - but I only managed to get him to 50% before I was slinking back for my shard. Has any level 50 beaten him without any fabled gear, and if so...er, got any tips for losers like me?
  6. ARCHIVED-mikemonk Guest

Bah stupid me, read quest wrong and thought i had the right mob. Going to give it my all and see if i can get champ. Sorry for mispost. Will update if i kill the right guy this time
    flyun
  7. ARCHIVED-Lebru1 Guest

Silent Fist, Gnoll Mastery = Dead gnoll champion
  8. ARCHIVED-bonesbro Guest

Charging Tiger, run around behind him, Silent Fist. Then drop Biting Mantis and Flying Dragon. When Silent Fist is about 15s from recycling, hit him with Lu'Sun's stifle kick. Then Icy Talon, run around behind him, Lunging Mongoose. Stifle kick him again, and now Charging Tiger should be back up so rinse and repeat. Use Gnoll Mastery early - either as he's walking out, before he agros, or after your first Silent Fist lands.

If you're still having trouble, pick up a couple of potions: a +str/sta, +agi, +mit, and +noxious resist. A cure poison potion or two might be handy. Use the Bloodlines +defense totem. Use those racial traits you never remember about, like the human +5 defense one. Remember, you only have to win once, so fight dirty.

Also, it was neck and neck at 10% my first try, so I feigned to heal up. He seemed a bit easier the second try, though I might have just executed better.

If you don't have Silent Fist, expect a much harder fight.
  9. ARCHIVED-Isawa Guest

Well, I am incredibly frustrated. I have tried this guy, using different tactics. Atempted to do what you were saying and having zero success. I also do not have gnoll masters (chose orc on the last friggin /respec, it would be nice if they would allow another soon). At any rate, he continues to just rip me. Ironically, it seemed tougher on the easy version today then on the middle difficulty.
    It annoys me that I talk to a wizard guildmate and he is easily conquering this. A Dirge the same. But I cannot even get close :( Oh well, I guess I do not have to worry with it for another hour and a half. There should be no lock out on loss in this one, IMHO. And yes, I know we can feign him off, but I cut it too close and had to fails in a row...dead.

Mitsy
    Legends
    Crushbone
  10. ARCHIVED-Cheezburgerinparadise Guest

I have yet to try him on my 35 Monk. Truthfully i'm pretty sure he will beat the crap outta my monk, since my level 30 Beserker cant get him under 37% and my Zerker is outfitted much better o_O. It's those dang DoTs that get you once you run outta power and can't stun anymore.
  11. ARCHIVED-Fleaball Guest

/agree 100% He uses cold attacks too, so some potions for that might help also. If you have a hex doll, try that as soon as you can. You might luck out and it won't be resisted. :p
  12. ARCHIVED-Quasicroako Guest

Hmm...Now would be a good time for SOE's Not So Good Advice Trivia game.
    Is Botanica's strategy
    A) a bug
    B) an exploit
    C) both A and B
    I choose C.

EDIT: Woot 1 Star
    You know I don't mind though, because as the person I qouted pointed out it is a bug, and using it in that manner is an exploit. Sorry you could not handle the truth. Be sure to save the rest of your 1 Stars for Sony once they nerf the ability to use Mentoring to trivialize a zone.
    Message Edited by Quasicroako on 07-02-2005 08:03 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Now I wish I'd chosen sodding Gnoll Master's Rage instead of Orc. I don't suppose it's possible to have both?
  14. ARCHIVED-jinxedup Guest

too bad they make content that you can only beat if you are wearing all fabled gear or better-- and too bad Moorgard only cares about making snide comments instead of listening to our valid concerns.
  15. ARCHIVED-Eleutherios Guest

Bitter ........
  16. ARCHIVED-Fleaball Guest

Well, I personally don't have a single piece of Fabled gear on me. I have a full suit of rare armor though cuz hides are dirt cheap on our server compaired to Ebon, and some adept 3's. Just think of the Champion as the uber final boss in a game that it takes forever to figure out how to kill but you eventually do, and doesn't it feel good when you finally beat him?
    Maybe a suggestion to the devs, how about making deaths in the solo arena debt free???
    *Edited* Ok, I usually don't reply to one stars or what not, but I'm goign to explain how I got my gear. I spent 3 weeks straight doing nothing but killing solo mobs to sell there loot back to the vendors for my equipment. Don't hate me cuz I have uber gear alright? Hate me because I have to much free time. :p
    Message Edited by vcjester on 07-03-2005 01:01 AM
  17. ARCHIVED-jinxedup Guest

and a bunch of people like vcjester think they are talented just because they can afford the most expensive gear-- how lucky for them
    Message Edited by jinxedup on 07-02-2005 11:42 PM
  18. ARCHIVED-Bewts Guest

As a FYI unless you are after an epic mob...
    Rushing Bear = 4 sec stun
    Charging Tiger = 3 sec stun

At level 42 I went with:
    Rare +sta/str pot
    Rare +agi pot
    Rare +PR/DR pot
    Rare Heal over time
    Rare DS pot (for the dots he casts, it adds up)
    Clicky Str, Sta, Agi rings from T5
    Mitigation debuff from T5 agi totems

I was full T5 Rare leather armor with 1800 vs DR and 2200 vs PR pre potion

I went duel weilding a Cedar Cudgel and a Rock Forged Cesti with the Venomous pouch in ranged. Buffs were the T4 haste Everburning Flame, Staggering Stance on someone before I zoned in, Thundering Fists Adept3, and Queit Purity Adept3.

I was 0-8 before I went with this strat, and it was still neck and neck FYI:

As I saw him, I activated my DS potion, switched it out for the heal over time potion and equipped an agi totem (so after I used the heal potion, when I equipped the second agi totem I could save 1 less click). I spammed the AGI totem until he was in range (8 sec cast on it) and soon as it was done casting (it landed luckily) I equipped the second totem.

From here I pretty much went Rushing Bear, jumped behind him, Darting Sparrow, So'Li's Spitting Cobra, Winter's Talon, jumped behind Diving Dragon, Pouncing Tiger(interrupt), Silent Threat(interrupt) and then both kicks. After 2 rounds of this I used Compress.

By now he was at approx 40% HP and I was at 65% HP. He did have around 70% power and he spent most of it just healing himself from here as I kept on melee with just using Rushing Bear, Jump behind, Darting Sparrow and Winter's Talon.

Once he was below 10% left for power, he went melee so I threw up Phin's Open Palm Technique and Face of the Mountain and prayed that I could out last him from this point as I was nearly OOP and spamming Winter's Talon until it cast for a high damage and a chance to stun.

Essentially, you can't try to out last this guy. You need to drop his health as fast as possible, keeping him from casting anything for damage on you because if he has power and his health is above 50-60% he will cast dots and nukes on you. Once you get him into heal mode, just keep on him with dps, keeping him stunned when you can and hoping when he goes melee you avoid enough of his attacks to take the day.

I found the stun stance went off around 6-8 times during the fight, and I think that partially saved the day for me as that is an unusual amount of procs of it.

Summary:
    Stun and interrupt until he's below 50ish % health and get him in heal mode. If you do your chances to win increase dramatically enough to even out the encounter.
  19. ARCHIVED-Ghedrain Guest

Potions are you friend. Talk to a local alchemist and get some damage shield potions as well as a potion that buffs str and sta, one that buffs agi, one that is a heal in a pot, and i believe there is one that buffs mitigation. With the combination you should be able to come out on top. Remember that there are resourses out there to help you get through a tough solo fight. I have friends that also went and bought some of those buff things from the bloodlines merchant to use as well.

;)
  20. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

I don't have full fabled, and I fail to see any reason to flame Moorgard for posting a friendly jab at me. But /shrug.