Ages End: The Final Chapter

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Eles, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

She's not helping FV, she's helping Lendiniara get back to us because of the chaos she's causing over in Eq1.

She's working with Zeboxurok, although the the raid to send Lendiniara back to us and what happened with our Lifeguide Staff and Lanys herself has been finished, no one has released the dialogue to explain what happened exactly.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

One thing that bothers me about the EQ franchise is after all of this...we aren't going to do anything with the Claws of Veeshan, the remnants of the New Combine Army, or clean up the Awakened. We're just going to walk away and go on to our next adventure. We won't get a real sense of closure.

Sure, Kerafyrm and Theer are off the world stage. The Awakened Cult has been dealt a devastating blow. And everything takes care of itself without us showing any interest in the aftermath. A few quests to hunt down Awakened gruella fighters in Antonica, Commonlands, Cobalt Scar and the Withering Lands would help. A quest to organize the New Combine Army (either to continue assisting the Claws of Veeshan, or handle dismantling the army), and maybe some tradeskill missions to rebuild Skyshrine, or even reclaim the Temple of Veeshan.

Instead the Awakened Army attacking Qeynos and Freeport will just disappear. We'll go on to whatever adventure awaits without hearing another mention of the New Combine (unless its a factor in the next expansion). We'll have no contact with the Claws of Veeshan.
  3. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the New Combine was dissolved after Lucan killed Vishra. the only reason anyone gets involved in Age's End event is because we specifically get Lucan and Antonia, at the Duality's insistance. and they only bring a handful of soldiers with them. Lendaria would be Yelinak's replacement for leadership of the Claws, as he intended, and they will prolly handle their own affairs. remember most the dragons see us as little pawns on the chess board to their rooks and queens, and we are barely worth more then food. Yelinak was an exception, not the rule.

But we'll prolly be dealing with either more cross thread hijinks, like Lanys trying to get back in Eq2, or with Mistmoore's 'repercussions' he mentioned.

and considering the 'spiderbear' I'm leaning on it being mayong..and that his newest 'drachnid' design.
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

So after we take out Kerafyrm and clear the Temple of Veeshan the dragons are still not going to take the lesser races seriously? Sure dragons are arrogant, but they aren't idiots. The Claws of Veeshan got trounced by the Awakened Army. The (slightly weakened) Awakened Army was dismembered by the heroes of the lesser races. Ergo the Claws of Veeshan are less powerful than the heroes.

Even if Kerafyrm himself was ultimately defeated by Theer and chronomagic it wasn't Kerafyrm that directly fought the Claws of Veeshan. The Awakened cult is what defeated the Claws, so defeating the Awakened should convince the Claws they need to at least watch the lesser races more closely. Probably even set up some sort of envoy to communicate with the city rulers when the need arises. It wouldn't surprise me to see a few droag in each city representing the Claws.
    CelosSolec and Avahlynn like this.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I hope you are correct about the droag and continued relations and contact, otherwise it would feel too abrupt a parting.
  6. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the problem is that, as it was shown in the questlines, particularly the ones about sleeper's tomb, that the dragons NEVER considered mortals on thier level. ever. Yelinak did slightly, and he had to forcefully make the other dragons aid us. we had to bear his personal seal, and even then, it was a grudgingly 'I'm only doing this because Yelinak said so.' Yelinak himself even when you see the formation of the combine is not asking for the cities to align with him as equals. he's asking for the cities to align UNDER the dragon's leadership. one of the reasons Lucan takes offense to the idea.

and while Lendinaria is wise and probably powerful in her own right, I doubt she'll have the time to fight the other dragons over wether or not to involve the 'barely more then food' mortals in thier designs or plans while also trying to rebuild skyshrine and recover the Temple and it's eggs. as far as the dragons are concerned, we were simply swords in their hands. Yes the 'heroes' beat the awakened cult, and stopped Kerafyrm, but only did so with the dragon's leading them and Jorlak's chronomancy. and that's all the justification they need to keep mortals in the dark about their own plans and agendas.

I have no doubt that Naggy may ask for our aid in the near future, or that Lendinaria may, but the dragons on the whole, are done with us. we've served our purpose, like any good tool, and now it's time to put the tool away.
  7. Gorion Member

I should think the Claws would be aware of just how many dragons we've slain already, many of them being former Claws themselves. We slaughtered the original leaders of the Awakened Cult in KoS, Wuoshi, the entire Ring of Scale, and pretty much the entire rest of the Awakened Cult, just to name a few of the big ones. The fact that there are so few dragons left is a direct result of our actions, even if some of those actions were justified. They should be extremely wary of any further dealings with adventurers, but they should consider us more than just tiny mortals now.

Nagafen is clever enough to manipulate us into doing things that benefit him, but he's definitely not stupid enough to challenge us directly. That said, I do agree and hope that we interact with him again soon.
  8. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the only dragon that even slightly respected us as an opponent was Grendish...who knew how dangerous we were, and tried to avoid a confrontation. he backs out on Halls, but when he tries it in the raid zone, Vulak'Aerr basically tells him if he doesn't fight, he'll kill him personally. the dragons all seem to think that unless it's another dragon, we mortals just got lucky, or that the previous dragon made some error or mistake that they won't be making.

and I don't think it's about Naggy not being stupid. in the channeler epic, he has no problem attempting to flat roast you if you show him disrespect. (the item that save's you is a blessed amulet from Harla Dar. but Naggy also knows that we make much more useful pawns, then we do opponents. Not to say that he isn't wiling to fight, he'd just rather play on mortal greed and make them work from him. But I also think out of all the dragons, prolly Yelinak and Naggy are the most well versed in mortal mindsets and affairs. and Naggy is much more then Yelinak.
  9. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

Nice. Called it! Lanys is the center of focus in the next expansion. I'm psyched.

Curious to know how the eq1 story will turn out as well since she's gonna be a prominent figure in both worlds.
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'm more curious how Layns managed to get out of her cell. The last we herd about her in EQ2 Inny drained her of power and consumed her plane in order to maintain his own plane. Layns herself was trapped in a gem that Inny kept. The Shadow Knight epic was an attempt by her followers to empower Layns by having the weapon drain power from your victims and feed it to her...and we crocked the ceremony to have it empower ourselves instead of Layns. The cult was destroyed if I remember correctly.

Or are we getting EQ1's Layns?
  11. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

I'm guessing her followers, priests and devotees will use Firiona's Lifeguide staff to empower her in this realm and help her break free from her bonds.

If you follow the Age's End story, Firiona mentions that someone with Malice in their hearts has left their mark on the Lifeguide staff. Meaning that Lanys from EQ1, while helping Zeb and Lendiniara to send Lendiniara back to our realm, used or handled the Lifeguide staff during that process and left her mark on it.

If this is true, then it only makes sense to steal the Lifeguide staff in some manner and use it somehow to free Lanys. This is just my theory though.
  12. Meirril Well-Known Member

Hmm...its an interesting thought. Thanks to what happened in EQ1 the staff became attuned to Layns and she is able to draw power from it in EQ2 to restore herself. No real need for a cult to steal it. It would be a better story if Layns herself broke free from her prison and manifested at the staff. Then whacked Firona and ran before Firona knew what was happening.

It would make sense that Layns would be greatly weakened and very, very upset with Inny. Trying to get her power back to full in Kithkor makes some sense since it was the place she got her start on demi-godhood. Neriak would be the place for her to recruit some followers. Maybe a trail to follow from Kelethin to Neriak to the new areas?
  13. Malleria Well-Known Member

I hope we can get away from this multi-thread bs pretty fast. The lore not making sense unless you know whats happening in EQ1 is pretty lame.
  14. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

I find it interesting. I like how certain things that happen in this game can affect Eq1 and vice-versa.

The only thing that bothers me about it is having to fact-check certain plot holes that come up in EQ2 and not having the information properly documented because either no one has been able to complete the raid zone/group zone yet or no one has been able to write it down or make a video of it.

I don't think there is any documentation on "The Journey Home" raid/group zone where Lendinaria gets sent back to us yet, so can't really figure out what really happened and what did the NPCs say when they were defeated and if they were succesful or not. We can assume they were since Lendiniara is with us, but don't know anything from their end yet.
  15. GrouchyMouse Active Member

I've not been playing EQ2 for some time, so I'm catching up after my son in law told me about Luclin being whole again after Tues' patch.

Where I left off, talked to Lendinaria and ran the quest to deal with the Aerakyn commander (can't remember his name, been awhile). I read thru this thread and picked up a bit more lore...so I've a question: is it true that for the Ages End, where it picks up/continues from the quest lines in Vespyr Isle is in a raid instance? That once again if you want lore, you must raid for it?

If so, I'm so disappointed.
  16. Eressa Member

I've always chosen to see it as you can't choose the magic you're naturally attuned to, and depending on how attuned it may not be worth it to fight it...but you can certainly choose what you do with it and that determines good or evil, not the color of your skin, nor the flavor of your magic.
  17. Meirril Well-Known Member

Or you could just think of it as a set of skills that aren't taught by these communities. Nobody says a swashbuckler has to be a good guy. As a matter of fact, how many NPC swashbucklers do you run into? I haven't seen any "good" pirates yet. The closest group to swashbucklers are the Seafurry Buccaneers and they work for Freeport.

And there are a lot of highwaymen in Antonica. Class wise they are brigands. Brigands after all are common thieves. I don't think they all grew up in Freeport. I think they all learned "on the job".

Necromancy isn't tolerated in all of the "good" cities. Back in the EQ1 days there were hidden guilds of necromancers in Qeynos and Freeport. Now the Necromancers are a feared power in Freeport and have been stamped out in Qeynos.

Why Conjurors aren't trained in Freeport is a mystery. It isn't like there is anything inherently "good" or "anti-necromancer" about conjuration. I suppose its more along the lines that if you show talent in summoning and your in Freeport you'll be guided to working with a Necromancer because they run that guild.

Now I don't think I need to explain the whole paladin/shadowknight thing. The history of Freeport and Lucan D'Leer does that.
  18. Cyliena Well-Known Member

That recording linked a few pages back doesn't work anymore, anyone else have a video of this? :)
  19. Rainmare Well-Known Member

mostly the 'last 8' are classes that are highly based on methodology rather then skills to define good and evil. a brigand is a thugish type, he wants to physically hurt you as much as possible and then take your stuff, and the swashy is more a con artist type. he'd rather swipe the stuff under your nose, or con you into willingly giving it, then beat you up and take it.

Mystics ask/commune/respect the Truespirit and thier ancestors. they don't make demands, they treat the spirits as they would a living person. Defilers force/twist/torture the same, seeing them not as 'real' people or essences but merely as tools and power sources to be used and disposed of as wanted/needed.

with the Necro and the Conjy, it's about politics and personal views. the War of Plagues in Qeynos, where Kane Bayle and his Bloodsabers attempted a hostile takeover, made Qeynos far more involved in stamping out necromancy in their city. the bloodsabers (the only ones that might teach it) are scattered and almost entirely broken in power. with Freeport, Lucan has always decreed might makes right. the Academy looked at both necromancy and conjuration, decided conjuration was the weak link, and got rid of it. they did the same with coercers and illys, until Opal was ousted as the Foci and the new one decided she had been wrong.

but even if you did say okay the new Foci also thinks that Conjies are potent enough for the academy to teach the art, there's no way Antonia Bayle is going to allow necromancy in Qeynos. in fact that was one of the major reasons why Bellengere chose to side with Kyle Bayle in his attempt at the throne. he wanted necromancy in qeynos (he's trying to be another Miragul), and kyle was willing to let him have it in return for support.

another thing that seems to be with freeport on the conjy/necro thing is that apparently, necro pets can't 'resist' or 'turn' on thier masters. Conjies however, can have their minions turn against them, or attempt to summon something too powerful to control (conjie epic touches on this with the elemental you have to dominate) it could be that they'd rather not risk a overconfident conjy looking to increase his social/political rank summoning an elemental that goes all Godzilla on freeport.

as to SKs and Pallies. yeah. Lucan owns freeport. that's all you need to know as to why there's no pallies there. Kane Bayle was an SK and leader of the Bloodsabers. that's more then enough reason right there for Qeynos.