Constant plat spam in channel.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Charlice, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Belenos Well-Known Member

Well, like I said before, I hope they can stop it, because I have seen how bad it can get, but at the same time, one has to ask themselves if this is something new, or just more visible now? Have these "companies" only started selling plat and items in-game since the chat filter started letting them through, or has it been going on for years--just without the in-game advertising?

I can't answer that question for you, but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find out how long these people have been in business. The answer to that question would go a long way toward determining any actual impact it is having on the game. If these people have been doing this for years, in-game advertising by itself would probably do very little to change anything. After all, like my Ol' Granpappy used to say "anybody with one eye and half-sense" can Google-up a plat or item seller in minutes, if they already existed.

I am not disagreeing with you on the basic principle--I would prefer to see it gone. I'm just not so zealous as to think it is the number one issue for the game, nor that the sky is falling. I have seen it out of control (ArcheAge), but I have also seen what happens to a game which gets no maintenance or new content (Vanguard). Neither is desirable in the least.
  2. Charlice Well-Known Member

I just find it amazing that since I've been playing, and I started playing in 2006, this has never been such an issue. SoE were always vigilant about keeping these blood suckers out of sight. Honestly I think out of sight out of mind applies to the purchasing of in game currency. The spammers are advertising krono now every time they spam, at first it was only avail on AB, now it seems to be avail for purchase on all servers. Obviously they are selling it.

And sure, plat sellers have always been around, but when they're not constantly in your face, players are probably less likely to seek them out. Of course krono wasn't available then, but considering players can and do sub with krono, it is more of an issue now than pre-krono.

They have only just started selling krono and max level GREEN adorns in the last few weeks. Anyone with any modicum of sense would have to ask themselves what is going to be next? It's already common knowledge that anyone with the right third party programs can duplicate basically any in-game item. I wonder how much DB are willing to lose.

Really we could all be subbing for less than half price without DB receiving one cent. That to me is a sky is falling scenario in the making. DB are far as I know are not a charity. Can EQ2 really afford to lose money?
    What annoys me the most though, is that nothing seems to be being done. I imagine I'm wrong, but they really need to get onto it.
  3. Avirodar Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if SOE/DBG had a vested interest in what happens to a Krono, after it has been purchased from the SOE/DBG store. After the purchase, SOE/DBG have their money, and that little digital bauble is merely 1 month of game time, that some random account will eventually claim.

The main thing that would gain SOE/DBG's attention is if someone was duping and reselling Krono. On that front, I believe a duping exploit was fixed a few months ago. And perhaps the Plat sellers worked out they get a better ROI if they farm the plat and buy the Krono, then sell the Krono for half the equivalent value of a Krono?

As for the spam? Get used to it... They will be doing it until DBG devotes enough resources to subdue it (a pleasant surprise), or people stop buying products from the 3rd party websites (the real problem). It is something which we have to learn to live with in the new age of EQ2.
  4. Charlice Well-Known Member

Do you really think these plat sellers are buying krono at full price, and selling it at less than half price? Clearly they are duping krono already. They won't see a cent for any of the krono that the plat sellers sell.
    And how common do you think the max level green adorns are? They sell those too. I'm thinking they're quite cluey about duping stuff already. DBG will not see a cent of any krono they sell.
  5. Avithax Well-Known Member

QFE

Daybreak doesn't think it's worth the money to spend resources stopping these seller and buyers. They said they added some report feature a while back but it's proven to be useless and now that Kronos have more than doubled in price since AoM came out the damage is done to the value of plat. Rum Cellar didn't look appealing to me so I decided to invest most of my plat in Kronos and lay low for now..

Very soon the 100 or so players who buy plat from these sellers will be playing all alone because no one else will be able to generate enough coin in game to keep above water.

Another MMO just banned over 100k accounts for violations of their user agreements and I hope one day this investment group does the same in EQ2. This would make me instantly re-sub if it happened. Until then as Avirodar so elequently put it, "get used to it".
  6. Awkk Well-Known Member

Actually Kronos were still holding steady at 3000 when AoM came out. They doubled in price shortly after SOE was sold to Daybreak and now they are almost tripled in price, as the lowest priced Krono on the broker, when I looked yesterday, was 8500 or so. All this inflation in the last couple of months. And yet, when I mentioned this earlier in the thread, someone told me that it would not be "worth writing home" until the price of krono was 10 times what it had been.

Seems likely that the few players able to farm up enough plat to do that would be the boxers who sell loot rights. Those guys sell gear for, not just tens of thousands, but sometimes, hundreds of thousands of plat, for one item. They can earn hundreds of thousands of plat a night. They can buy krono from the broker with all this plat, and maybe sell the krono for real money, maybe sell plat for real money too. The players who buy this plat with real money, then use it to buy loot rights to gear from the boxers....who sell this plat for real money, to players who use the plat to buy loot rights....

It has to be the SLR boxers, if not dupers. Nobody else can make that kind of plat.
  7. Avirodar Well-Known Member

You clearly misunderstood what I meant, when I said "And perhaps the Plat sellers worked out they get a better ROI if they farm the plat and buy the Krono, then sell the Krono for half the equivalent value of a Krono?", I meant the plat sellers may have worked out they get a good return for effort invested, if they farm for plat in EQ2, then use the plat in EQ2 to buy a Krono from the broker, then sell the Krono on a 3rd party website for real cash, at a price approx half of what DBG is selling them for. You misread my comment in a rather amusing way.

On the topic of duping, we can think what we want, but it is baseless assumptions. If someone can provide verifiable evidence to prove duping is running rampant, I would be more than happy to take it on board. It is my position that an increase in the value (in game plat) of a Krono is more indicative of a Krono duping exploit being fixed several months ago, rather than a duping exploit being abused right now.
    Belenos likes this.
  8. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Flawed logic.

Nothing is in place that prevents a group of six real players forming a group, farming some zones, and splitting the proceeds. If your claim is correct, that hundreds of thousands of plat can be made in a night, it would only take a few nights of farming per month, for 6 people to be rolling in Krono (based on the current Broker value of Krono).
  9. Charlice Well-Known Member

No I read it correctly. I find it laughable that anyone would think the plat sellers are purchasing their krono, using plat or real $'s. Not when they are selling it on every server, and for so little.
  10. Avirodar Well-Known Member

They would not be doing it, if it was not worth their while. So you can find it laughable all you want. The joke is on you.
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Actually the behavior of krono on Freeport seems to indicate that they are buying them up. Lowest price atm is about 7k...just a few days ago they were down to 5800. Suddenly all up to a certain price point were gone. Maybe it's just market manipulation, but it sure looks like the resellers are doing the buying.
    Avirodar likes this.
  12. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

A certain member who posts here now and then claimed to be responsible for driving the price of krono up by about 3k just so he could pocket some cash (never explained how). Wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to do a repeat of whatever...but for the fact that he was being a drunken idiot in Freeport general chat today and I doublt he could coordinate his feet never mind krono. Maybe someone else is using Bazaar tricks on live servers.
  13. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Since the introduction of Krono, I have known of several guildies who have participated in buying/selling Krono across multiple servers.

I suspect most people who buy Krono from DBG to sell on the broker want a fast return, thus set a low price. Opportunistic pundits can snap up these cheap Krono, and attempt to sell them at a higher price, and are willing to wait days/weeks to make the profit. Not listing all the Krono at the same time, thus limiting the supply on the broker, will help raise the average price.
  14. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Then there are others who give them away to people by playing games. One who used to do that would put something in general like. I'm in the zone where I first lost my corpse...first 3 people who find me get a krono.

Personally, I'm paid up until October, I'll buy krono if and when I catch them at a reasonable price. Reasonable price and krono just seem to have become an oxymoron recently.
  15. flameweaver Well-Known Member

This one agrees ;)
  16. Zookeeper Active Member

How "eventually" is Eventually??
    This has been going on for quite some time now.
    Is the spam filter so obsolete that including "MMO" or "COVE" cannot be added effectively?
    We did not experience this when SONY owned EQII.

The fact is that probably hundreds of people are clicking "Report Spam" repeatedly, (even though you need 10 different people to report one spammer and get action taken, according to the response I got when I asked), hasn't worked.
    Report Spam has done nothing. I'm pretty sure more than 10 people report them each time, but since we don't know who else on the server is bothering to report, we have no clue if one or ten report the same spammer.

The only other thing that I can think of (since the spam filter could easily filter MMO or COVE) is that there is a mutual agreement between Daybreak and MMOCOVE that allows this. Perhaps Daybreak owns MMOCOVE, or, they are being paid to allow MMO.COVE to do business on this game site. Daybreak is an investment corporation that invests in many businesses. I'm sure they could figure out that loyal players might put up with a lot that they disliked, in order to keep playing a game that they love.

I would like to see a DEV or representative response as to why the spam is continuing, and what the problem is with the spam filter than they cannot filter out "MMO.COVE," since that is not a normal part of any game text.
    IF MMO.COVE does not have a contract with Daybreak to sell EQII platinum, they are breaking the TOS, and that is a punishable crime.
    You had to sign it to get access to the game. You agree not to sell for real cash, any game property or entity that is owned by EQII, including currency and items, and avatars...basically, every thing that you see visually.

Perhaps the filter was removed as proprietory code by SONY, and has to be rebuilt. That has not been stated, and it is an unlikely, but possible, scenario.

An explanation would help.

So far, there has been no satisfactory explanation of why the spamming has continued this long.
    "We are looking into it," is not a sufficient response at this point in time.
    I think I can guarantee that if I get a Small Bag of Platinum Coins from turning in Loyalty Tokens, and I offer it in General Chat as 75 Platinum Coins for 10 USD, my IP address would be banned, and I would probably be sued.
    I'm not going to try it just to test the waters. I'm not a big fan of drowning.

I'm tired of the "no answer" answers. I would like to know if Daybreak has an agreement with MMO.COVE by that or any other name, including the name of the owner which is found on the Whois, to allow the spam to continue, and if not, when do they plan to set the spam filter to block key words in the MMO.COVE advert and block their IP address from any form of communication or purchases of accounts.
    Charlice likes this.
  17. flameweaver Well-Known Member

For Info (edited version to remove duplicate info to keep the post short)

Raw WHOIS Record
    Domain Name: MMOCOVE.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1875933991_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Update Date: 2014-09-16T02:56:56Z
    Creation Date: 2014-09-16T02:56:56Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-09-16T02:56:56Z
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 146
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: xie wen
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street: gaoxinkaifaqu
    Registrant City: nanchang
    Registrant State/Province: jiangxi
    Registrant Postal Code: 330000
    Registrant Country: China
    Registrant Phone: +86.15879042975
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax:
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: 38812714@qq.com
    Registry Admin ID:
    Name Server: NS29.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Name Server: NS30.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
    Last update of WHOIS database: 2015-05-16T09:00:00Z

Based in China (colour me surprised), but domain registered in USA.
    There is an Abuse contact email address for godaddy.com (based in Scottsdale) - maybe some positive player action to godaddy.com might help.
  18. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

Zoo has already said he looked at that (I linked the whois rather than quoting it) and couldn't figure out where the company was located. Personally I see exactly where they CLAIM to be located...no way to tell if that's truth and I'm definitely not going to try that phone #...I don't speak Mandarin :D
  19. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

There ya go, Zoo...independant confirmation of what I told you was in the whois that I linked.
  20. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I repeatedly click it, but to no avail...have you tried to coordinate 10 people to report a spammer at once? Gnija did say the filter needed 10, but he also said within a time frame which they reduced from what it originally was, yet that time frame still remains undefined. Plus if you don't get 10 together how would you even know 10 had reported the spammer?