Will you keep playing on Agnarr?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, May 28, 2017.

1. daffie999 Augur

Are you playing EQ live still? An ancient relic of a game? Seems odd to throw such hate at others.

As for why you play this TLP? You have a life. You enjoyed classic EQ. You want to play on a server with a decently high XP rate. You have absolutely no intention of playing this game for years and years and years... I'm perfectly continent playing this to the cap then stopping. That's assuming they don't allow you to transfer to live or another server at some point.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I'm happy with the time I've spent on Agnarr so far, and will continue to play there. Made level 13 by Friday and had a lot of fun getting there. When I heard about the bonus exp weekend, I went back to my live server for a day or two, because I need the help there more than I need it on Agnarr. One more group in Unrest and I'll probably be high enough to hit Mistmoore, which I'm really looking forward to. Don't want to rush it or breeze past that content to quickly.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I plan on staying on Agnarr for the foreseeable future. I will be playing on Agnarr 3-4 nights a week, when not raiding on AB, been on the last few days, due to lag on AB making the game there unplayable.

I intend to visit and complete many of the things I've not done before, currently levelling up in Faydwer something I've not done before, I've always been a Freeport girl and levelled up on that continent. My levelling may be slower than others but I'm having fun, going back to places I've been before but not at the level they were aimed at.

I intend to make a new char in Kunark and level only in Kunark zones the same with Luclin.

The game changes after POP, too many things start creeping in after that which impacts the way we play, that I'm not a fan off.

Must admit I'm really missing my extended target window! But its fun to remember what it was like without it. I'm missing my mount, but I'm sure I'll get used to having to sit and med again!

I'
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  4. Name Police New Member

What happened to the 200+ you advertised as your "Florida fund" on your stream? Banned or somehow consumed them all?
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

A lot of them got banned during claimgate 2016. I still had around 80 pre-agnarr but keeping 3-5 accounts running each month eats through them fairly quickly
  6. Locnar Journeyman

Im still on the fence. With p99 and Alkabor project (the EQmac ) its hard to stay here on what is basically a easy mode version of EQ. With non classic zones/spell lists/no corpse runs etc thrown in as a twist. Everyday on Agnarr I notice a dozen new things that have been changed (i.e. made way easier) to how it use to be in classic EQ. Cheapens the journey too much, zero feeling of accomplishment when there are 50 picks of lower guk and zero risk to do anything.

Modern EQ (and this Agnarr server is very much still modern EQ) is just not the same game as classic EQ, and its only classic EQ that interests me.
  7. Wispur Elder

I have every intention of staying here for awhile, I'm having too much fun on my Enchanter. :)
  8. Ultrazen Augur

Yes, I'm dumb because:

1. I can level classes in the content I actually enjoy, as far as I'm concerned the content post PoP is horrible.
    2. I can level 3 classes in the time it takes to level 1 on Phin. I enjoy variety, and playing alts, and seeing the game from different vantages. Bonus points that I get to do this with a bunch of other people leveling alts.
    3. I don't treat EQ as a life substitute, when it bores me, I'll do something else.
    4. I can easily get a couple of years out of this server. I tend not to plan my entertainment desires any farther out than that.
    5. I can play any content in any era I want...you know...because I have a subscription, and there are live servers that have all the expansions unlocked.
    6. I have never payed for anything in EQ other than a sub, with real money, be it Krono or otherwise, and never will. Most of the fun to be had in the game is acquiring items.
    7. When GoD hits phin, it will tank, and the time it takes to level a character will mean the server begins it's downward spiral into the same state every other TLP is in.

Love Phin? Awesome, play there!! Problem solved.
  9. mjc683 New Member

So far so good. Some things about me:

1) Started playing in 1999 long before Kunark came out
    2) Stopped playing in 2002 to play SWG and Shadowbane, then WoW in 2004 which I've stuck with until recently

Logged in and play for about 3 or 4 last night, messed around with some characters and settled on an ogre SK. Got him to level 4 before I logged out.

Overall, it's been a pleasant jaunt down memory lane. I haven't really had a chance to do a lot of grouping as everyone is soloing and/or is multi-boxing so most of my time was spent running around the Ferrott bouncing between camp sites and just generally killing everything that hooved into my field of vision.

So far, I'm noticing that money seems to come by much faster. I've gotten enough gold to buy myself a full set of cloth armor and a shield/sword from the vendors. A friend of mine has been playing the server with a guild for a while longer and told me once he gets back from his work trip he's going to send me a FS two handed sword.

Walking around Erudin, Oggok, and Rivervale was an awesome nostalgia trip. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the old zones.

Will I stay? That depends on whether I can find a guild or group of people that play around the same times I do. When I played back in the day, I played a Necromancer and Beastlord for their solo abilities as I was (and still am) a casual player and grouping was something I had difficulty with back then. I imagine now with a server with players that seem to be blowing full steam ahead (seriously, I saw a message about Lady Vox being taken down already. The server hasn't even been open for a week!) that I'm going to find myself getting left behind by most of the playerbase given how on/off I play so I will find myself in a position of having to spend the bulk of my time soloing and that is the very LAST thing I want to do in this game.

So we will see. So far I'm enjoying it but I haven't gotten out of the lower levels yet.
  10. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values.The occurrence of cognitive dissonance is consequence of a person's performing an action that contradicts personal beliefs, ideals, and values; and also occurs when confronted with new information that contradicts said beliefs, ideals, and values

(Thank you wikipedia)

You guys should probably settle down. It's my opinion that staying in the same era of a game forever (see P99) is dumb. I'm not asserting it as an ultimate truth, it's just how I see it. In my experience the majority of players that say they don't like content past GoD haven't experienced it, or came back dry after a long period of time and were uncomfortably that it wasn't the same game they left and that they were in unfamiliar territory. It's a fear of the unknown. Then there's a few that actually experienced it and legitimately didn't like it. That's fine too.

Another opinion I have is that there is a enormous amount of great content between GoD and live. I've heard numerous people state that the main reason they're on Phinny is to experience that content that they never got to see. I guess I'm just easy to please, since I enjoyed COTF and TDS despite them being wildly unpopular. I guess I've always just been a proponent of the "don't knock it if you haven't tried it" philosophy.

Everybody has opinions. If you hate content past GoD (for whatever reason) fine. Stay in your bubble server. It doesn't hurt me any. I just don't think there's any reason to get so rigidly defensive when people see things differently than you.
  11. Wolrok Elder

Saying staying in the same era is dumb is like saying that someone who wants to play Mario Bros 3 instead of Mario Galaxy is dumb.
    Ellis likes this.
  12. Machentoo Augur

Most people are offended and take it poorly if you try to give them that help, though. Very few eq players want to listen to someone tell them how to play better.
    DariyaVika likes this.
  13. Silinius Augur

I rolled a character on Agnarr but Lockjaw is still where my priority is. I was around for the majority of the server firsts - Phinny, Vox, Naggy, Innoruuk etc. I'll probably do Sky 1 time just to take DTs and then it's back to Lockjaw for Planes of Power. I may come back over to Agnarr for Kunark/Velious/Luclin/PoP launches to say hi, max level and hit up server firsts. We'll see how it goes.

Something that Agnarr did give a good perspective on is the importance of grouping and the building of relationships with other players vs. the grind of boxing. It's a good lesson - It's all just pixels and unless you are building friendships/relationships with other players, it's all just a single player game.
    Luisia likes this.
  14. Quill Augur

Applying the userbase of Phinny as a result of the slow xp there, to that of Agnarr, is silly. I have yet to run into anyone looking to run hard-grind groups. The simple fact is that xp has come so fast for most people, that there really isn't need for that type of mentality if you aren't an uberguilder(and they almost certainly use pre-mades). Even with the xp bonus dropping, I don't think it'll be an issue.

And if there are some holdovers from Phinny like that, well.. they're probably leaving soon enough once GoD opens.
  15. Quill Augur

Well said. If anything, I can see the boxers following suit and going back to their home server because by and large, this is going to be a server that is very hostile towards them.

I also have a feeling that reputation is going to be absolutely huge on this server. If you're an issue, and a nuisance to people, they will know your name and the guild you train for. If you're just passing through, not an issue. If you aren't, and have any aspirations of staying on server, you can really screw yourself over for groups. Similar to Classic Era in that regard. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I just have a feeling this is going to be very a tight knit server.
  16. Tinytinker Augur

I tried offering a returning player advice. He got angry and told me that he knew what he was doing, because he was in Aftermath.
  17. urbanbo70 Elder

Dude, I just got a "Agnarr 4 Life" tattoo down my forearm.
  18. Wispur Elder

If you were really dedicated, you would have gotten it as a tramp stamp.
  19. Ishbu Augur

The longer term appeal is for people who don't want to play past PoP, want to play multiple characters, and aren't in a rush to be hardcore. Most people who would be thinking about the status a year from now, this likely wasn't the ideal server for you in the first place
  20. Neuro Elder

Doubt I will play past Velious. This is mainly about playing in an era I missed out in. I started right when Kunark came out so I missed the classic days. To be honest, I would not have come back if it was *exactly* like old Eq, as there are plenty of QoL improvements to the game that are make it far better. The pick system is great, as it allows them to solve rampant overcrowding of zones, yet still maintain the feel of original Eq.

I plan on playing casually for the next few months, not hardcore. I did that already, got most of the server firsts on my original server, then bailed for WoW when GoD was a complete disappointment to me. I figure nostalgia will get me through Velious, but I don't see myself doing Luclin grind again. Farming all those Emp weapons once was enough.

Sadly there are still a few things that are problematic. The vast gulf between casters and melee for one. Not being able to bind or gate prevents me from making a melee at all.