Will you keep playing on Agnarr?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, May 28, 2017.

1. Rhodz Augur

Nothing delusionally self aggrandizing there, oh wait were we supposed to be impressed?

As for the OP's question. See how it works out not real pleased with the way certain elements at DBG have conducted events concerning this server... or the last one for that matter or the one before that... yeah there is a pattern.
  2. Mrjon3s Augur

I think once agnarr gets to PoP your gonna see a huge turnover in people. They are gonna beat quarm in a week like Phinny did and get maxed out. People are gonna get bored and quit, sell the character, or start on whatever new server daybreak is gonna release. A lot of people from phinny had nostalgia goggles for PoP until it was released and figured out its never gonna be the same.
  3. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

As you can see, questions are being asked, so answers are being given. Sorry if my answers rustle your jimmies.
    Sdoofbuc likes this.
  4. Rhodz Augur

Apology accepted
    Heh seriously I dont care just made you look like an elitist arrrse, I'm just a dumb player.
  5. Tecmos Deception New Member

As someone who played live casually as a young teen from like 2000-2003 and then who has played Project 1999 heavily over the last 5ish years... I'm leaving, and I'm disappointed. I should have expected the issues that I have with this server, but I'm disappointed anyway.

I mean. There's a lot of good here. The old zones, the original races and classes, progression only through more-or-less the expansions that the nostalgia-chasing folks like me are interested in. LOTS of people. A fresh start. Even the differences in how the game feels compared to back in the day, the UI changes and the convenience features like maps and the altered mechanics (like a wizard nuking for 15 with a level 1 spell instead of like 5)... even those were kinda fun.

But nostalgia is hard to catch ahold of, at least for me, when I'm wondering wtf weapon that guy over there has that looks like a lightning bolt. Oh, hey, it's just a Scimitar, but he bought something off the marketplace that makes it look ridiculously out of place for a group of level 14s leveling in Oasis and also turned it magical. 40-slot, 100 WR packs for $$$. XP potions. Just directly buying kronos with RL money and then using it as currency is like 8/10 on the pay to win scale. Kronos also kinda spoils the "fresh" start of a new server. Lots of boxing. People level 50 in only a couple days.

Looks like a lot of people are still having fun. And that's cool. But I'll cancel the two subs I started up for Agnarr before they renew, and I'll stay visit p99 when I want my fix of EverQuest.

Not that it will ever happen, but I would come back and try another Agnarr-like server if Daybreak released one with no boxing, no marketplace, no kronos.
  6. Rhodz Augur

I hear you man, unfortunately that and five bucks will buy you a cup of burnt coffee.
    This x 1000 people is why all TLPs die off as it is impossible to keep any sizable population of new and returning players.

One point though, you would simply not believe what those guys that hit 50 so fast spent in hours and money to do it. Think it took almost three days but who meh close enough. Problem is DBG just turns around and pulls a Phinny hurting everyone and it only takes this crowd five days to hit 50. Yeah that helped... yeah I dont think they play this game.
  7. Voth Elder

I came back for the nostalgia factor, particularly dragons and gods now that they're finally instanced. I played from 2001-2015 or so but never really raided before Plane of Time so I wanted to see this stuff in an emulated at level experience.

Doubtful I'll be around for the long haul but we shall see. The game is enjoyable but its age shows. EQ is very slow moving compared to other MMOs. As much as I want to see dragons, I don't know if I can take the grind. I'm glad things like skill gains have improved and many of the UI elements and controls have been brushed up. I was surprised EQ finally moved to WASD, but mouse look is still clunky.

My biggest concern is easily the player base. It's only been a few days and we already have people training others and just being the worst humanity has to offer. That coupled with how EQ interacts with the brain as a stimulant is an unpleasant situation, especially compared to other modern games.
  8. Bailen Augur

People make these comments as if everyone is just flying through the levels and beating all the raids within a matter of days.

It's funny. People who are putting that kind of time in and still know the game that well are probably Live players and are going to go back to that when they are finished. I don't know how long Agnarr will last, but you're clearly not the intended audience.

It's like walking into a sports bar and saying, I don't know if this place will last. The Vegan food here is no good. And there's nothing but sports on the TV. How do they expect ballet lovers to keep coming back when all they show is sports?
    Ishbu and Bigz_Zupdarty like this.
  9. Norm Duke Journeyman

As a first time EQ player, I dont imagine I'd quit for a different version of EQ
  10. DariyaVika Augur

I'm going to keep playing on Agnarr. Granted, I'm only level 25, but I've had fun so far. I think I'll hit 50 in the first month, then have two months of raids and stuff for fun. I'm not going to spend any krono during classic, because there aren't any items worth it. I can farm hill giants or other cash camps to buy the jewelry that will last me into Velious, and other than that I don't really care about most of the gear.

I don't think Agnarr is frozen in time any more than live EQ is. And Phinny is progressing quickly into expansions I don't care much about. OoW was the last really cool one, in my opinion.
  11. Phantom Ghost Augur

I would imagine it was difficult to state this in a 18 year old game's forum.
    Katmandu26, Ishbu and DariyaVika like this.
  12. Deadshade Augur

Unfortunately you will not get an answer on your question because 99% of the thousands that play on Agnarr do not read or post on this forum .
    None of the posts above are returning players - just some krono crazies and bored Live/P99/Phinigel players .

Personally I fit the bill . Last I played was 15 years ago and then a few months when Ragefire released .

1) I like it . Have a 15 character, plenty people everywhere, no big problems to get groups, Commons tunnel, Crushbone ... everything is there . What I do not like are the many boxes even at very low levels . They hog camps, don't join groups and don't let other players join . Besides as they pay their accounts with Kronos they bring no money to DB and belong also to the ugly category of the Krono/RMT diggers . A server where boxing is forbidden would be a better place .

2) I do not plan on leaving . At least not in the short term . However I am sure that sooner or later the grind that is EQ's soul will catch up with me, I won't be able to stand it anymore and then I will leave . I do not know when it will happen but expect it to be somewhere around Luclin .
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Believe it or not Krono don't just materialize out of thin air or drop from mobs no matter how many you kill. Krono actually give Daybreak MORE money than a standard sub as the cheapest bulk deal you can buy from Daybreak still run $17 apiece.

And yes, even with 3rd party sales, new Krono are being purchased daily directly from Daybreak and older Krono are being consumed. Every single Krono in circulation put $17+ in Daybreaks pocket at some point or another.
  14. Quill Augur

One of the interesting things I could see happening, is a return to 36-40 man raiding(with two guilds combining to 72 as needed), particularly after the unlocks are done. Most Old World stuff really didn't need more than that, and you could see a situation where its hard to field more than that if you aren't a top guild(even on Live). It was only with PoP, and in particular the Elemental Plane Gods of Rathe Council and Coirnav, that you needed to really pack the raid.
  15. Wolrok Elder

Yeah, I plan on playing on Agnarr for the time being.

I'm also playing with 2 guys that didn't play much into Velious, and if it means anything, I've been running into complete EQ newbies, which I don't think I've seen any of those for years.
  16. Carns Lorekeeper

I too am 15 years gone and returned.

I will be staying.

However, I have noticed that all of you live players fall into two categories.

1> You find an area completely picked clean of mobs. You plop your boxes down in the middle of it. Then you persist on complaining about people training you when they pull mobs through you because you are literally sitting on the pull path.

2> You actually join/form a group because you don't box. You then proceed to find fault with every single action taken by the 4 or 5 returning players, for not instinctively knowing the current live strategies. It also seems to be key that despite the complaining, it is absolutely vital that you never disclose the nature of the strategy that you are looking for.

I am thinking there could be a third group, but they are harder to identify. Those would be the ones that never mention how many level 105 characters they have. But thus far, every single conversation that includes the number 105 falls into group 1 or 2.

And just for the record, if I tell you I have not seen a zone in 15 years, and you insist on naming me the puller, you don't get to complain that I pulled too much or the wrong mob.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  17. Wolrok Elder

Well, understand. On modern EQ you have mercs that basically hold your hand and allow you to easily solo to the level cap. And with the low population on many old servers, when they want to do group content they probably just roll up boxes. So they've probably forgotten what it's like to play with actual people, and you're slowing down their krono farming.
  18. DariyaVika Augur

Many "veterans" are incredibly lazy players who view pullers as the person who feeds them xp, and they get cranky if not enough xp is fed to them fast enough.

Anyone not willing to help a returning player out annoys me. Yes, if someone is straight out a moron, then by all means drop them from the group. For everyone else, they just need a little help to get back into the swing of it.
  19. svann Augur

predicting reduction in population june 7-30
  20. Finchy Augur

1. kronos - even players who do not directly purchase from DBG are padding DBGs pockets. The only reason people buy krono is to sell them for in game items/plat. if no one is buying the krono in game, there would be no sales. period, the end, stop arguing otherwise as you would be wrong.

2. This will not be a long standing populated server. a TON of players are here because Phinny is on LDoN, one of the most boring expacs to ever hit the game. Come GoD, those players will either completely quit or have a lot less playing time. Not to mention DBGs current style is releasing a new TLP every year or 2. Eventually the player base will be spread even more thin than it currently is, and the population on Agnarr will hurt badly due to this.

3. to the person using DBG decisions to base on if you play or not. You can't do this, you cannot base game play decisions off the company running the game. You will be disappointed 8/10 times. They are in the gaming business for money, not friends. They will make decisions solely based on money, if you like the game just enjoy it for what it is, or find something different. Trust me on this one ;)