What happens after PoP on Agnarr.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, May 21, 2017.

1. Z E L R O T H New Member

All good and clean fun, but I think they are taking a risk by splitting the TLP player base once more. This server seems to me about money, a cash grab. I think the people that are truly convinced on having a permanent locked server are the minority over those that ride the hype wave.

And this is where it starts to be my concern too as someone that is not going to roll on Agnarr, hence beyond your "don't like, don't play". I have nothing against a new server people having their fun there, but I have genuine concerns what that will do to TLP as a whole long-term.

I sincerely hope we end up with a sparking Angarr and Phinigel a year from now and not two low average servers at best. I hope this inability of those Agnarr fans to create a 'sticking with PoP' guild on Phinigel, as if PoP zones will vanish come GoD, like many guilds did back in the day is all worth that potential cost...
  2. Z E L R O T H New Member

I think what largely is missed into this reasoning is world events at the time. We cannot ignore what World Of Warcraft did and how it changed the playing field. What happened back then does not even remotely dictate or indicate what is going to happen on Phinigel as we go further with the expansions. Yet, I hear it come back as one of the arguments to jump ship tp Agnarr.

Looking at this long-term, people ignore the potential effects a new server can have on existing ones. Servers are not interconnected vessels, for all we know we end up with two 'fine' TLP servers of 1000-1200 peak time. Which is a far cry of the several thousands on Phinigel with an all around the clock player base. I can hardly call that a successful initiative. Let's hope my assessment is dead wrong, I sure hope so.
  3. Eldrach New Member

I'm coming back just for this server. Fact is i played a bit on p1999, but as that server is so hard to get into as i was too late to the table, a progression server is the next best thing.

I stopped at Gates of Discord, as that expansion was absolut bottompoint of uneccessary blocks in mmo history
  4. Reynen Journeyman

I'm coming to play on Agnarr because that's exactly what I've been looking for and I could care less what happens on the other progression servers. There's no "long term plan" for progression servers, most of the current ones will die eventually because of population problem no matter what. The next progression server will replace the old ones and so on.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I want Agnarr and Phinigal to be doing well in a year also, heck, I want all of EQ to be doing well. But I don't think you get what Agnarr is. A "sticking with PoP" guild on any other server wouldn't cut it. Every person who isn't sticking with PoP could potentially ruin the experience for those players. Coming in with higher levels and gear from a later expansion, they could use that leverage to steal a camp or steal spawns for powerleveling an alt or friend.

It's really very simple, they are not splitting the TLP player base. They are capturing the part of the player base that they have lost and who weren't interested in Phinigal or possibly Live servers.
    elebertus likes this.
  6. AgentofChange Augur

They create a new TLP
    Reynen likes this.
  7. Z E L R O T H New Member

Okay, noted.

I think I do, I just question to what extent people going there are going there for that exact purpose (and I find that a good thing, if there is an audience there is an audience) and how much just join the hype train. I question the tactic and timing of launching a new server with the high potential of rendering the previous one into ghost towns. If this is that TLP is about, just short-lived bursts (those that think Agnarr is goi of hype to get some nostalgia in, well I hoped for something more and still hope Phinigel is going to do that.

Well if history shows us something, it does. For whatever reason they have launched a new LTP server, the others became a ghost town. Therefore I think my concerns are valid, and they are just that, concerns, I'm not saying people are not allowed to enjoy Agnarr or anything. I just wonder how this will all pan out and question timing and some DGB decisions, just as much my prerogative than anyone else's..
    Sendori likes this.
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Phinigal will be fine, it's a raiding server, with lots of active raiding guilds. I'd guess you will be losing very few people permanently to Agnarr. I think a lot of the Krono farmers are probably Phinny folks with some spare time that are dedicated enough to do a fast run to 50 and do some farming. But they are in raid progression now, they don't want to fall behind, especially not with the exp rate on that server. They will be back when it's time to progress.

You say you get Agnarr but you don't. You think it's hype when it's actually an attraction for people who aren't currently attracted to EQ. Phinigal has no attraction for me. Slow exp, raiding focused, expansions coming in faster than I can utilize them, there's nothing for me there. To me that server might have felt like hype, but for others it was what they were looking for. Agnarr is a sandbox, a "what if" server. Maybe it will be what people want, maybe it won't, but I think it will be pretty active for a while to come. If we're lucky it will be active even longer than that. Either way, it pays the bills to keep the servers on.
  9. Green_Mage Augur

I would say Phinigal is likely to become a ghost town 1-65. This happened on Live as well, there wasn't a lot of leveling up at some point and everyone just had their main they had been playing at least a year (usually more like 3). But the Raid scene I think will be a lot more lively than previous TLP progression servers as they get on in eras. Phinigal had a good start as a server. That goes a long way.

Agnarr will soak up the players looking to make new alts on a fresh server and those that want to start EQ again. additionally, Agnarr will capture a certain player base that doesn't care remotely about anything past PoP. By the time Agnarr is getting old and dies (assuming that happens in the forseeable future), there will be another progression server up that people will most certainly join instead of Phinigal.

Phinigal players will then decide weather to go to modern EQ (eventually) or reroll on a new progression server. I'm guessing DBG is okay with either, but would prefer people transition to modern EQ. If it turns out that there is some particular expansion that did indeed destroy EQ, than maybe another time-locked server is in order.
  10. ChangedName Lorekeeper

The server dies, it's that simple.
  11. moojor New Member

I have rejoined EQ because Agnarr seems to be exactly what I am looking for. My life has moved on a great deal since the days when I could devote huge amounts of time to a game. I love mmo's but after a while it starts to feel like you are grinding to just keep up with the other players.
    Always behind the curve, never really getting to enjoy it because you "have" to hit the level cap, then you need X gear for the current "end game"
    Everything starts to feel like a massive rush to join the masses.
    Agnarr, for me, gets rid of all that. You can enjoy the journey in the knowledge that there is truly an end, as point where you can just play and enjoy without the pressure to get the next level etc.
    Niskin likes this.
  12. moojor New Member

I suppose it may die, when all the people on there have maxed out 1 of each character, completed all the quests and finally got all the possible gear they can for their characters.
    I think alot of people under estimate how enjoyable it will be to play alts on a server where you know your main won't fall behind if you don't play it for a month etc.
    DariyaVika likes this.
  13. Reynen Journeyman

No, you clearly didn't understand why they made it in the first place.
  14. Labelme Journeyman

You don't need to convince me. It's Daybreak you need to convince!
  15. DariyaVika Augur

I would have stayed on Phinny if the xp wasn't terrible. It is terrible, so I'm not staying. I don't care about the long-term health of Phinny, honestly. I can't imagine it being all that healthy after OoW anyways.

I renewed my sub specifically to play on Agnarr. If Phinny was my main option, I wouldn't have renewed it. So it's not splitting the player base of TLP, it's increasing it.

The problem with Phinny is terrible xp, and "casual" guilds that still raid 3 nights a week. That's not casual at all, but it's the expectation.
  16. Z E L R O T H New Member

You keep on saying that I don't get Agnarr, but do you have any tangible metrics and data that shows your mere assessment is better than mine? Because I'm not saying you don't get Agnarr because your view on the server is not in line with mine. There is no data that shows what portion of the population is going there out of convincement for the concept and to raid Plane of Time forever, to farm easy krono or to just ride the hype and get out of normal routine.

Neither am I saying that there isn't an audience for this locked server, I question to what extent this is more hype driven over the concept of an expansion lock that yet has to be proven viable. Unless we just look at this server having its 12 weeks between expansion packs and then quickly die off but hey we had fun. If that is your angle, then sure, bless Agnarr, but I have higher hopes for TLP personally.
  17. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Many people are finding less and less time to play for various reasons, Family, Work, School, Relationships ect.

There seems to be some disconnect with the EVER part of EVERQUEST.
    People whom want to log in and work on alts or help friends rather than evergrind new AA's, gear, expansions, ect.

People whom enjoy the game return from time to time only to see the game has change drastically and all their once hard earned work and time sunk was in vain.
    They feel overwhelmed and quite frankly discouraged from playing catch up on one, two, three or even more years of lost downtime just to be a viable grouping or raiding character. Many people also want to experience alternate characters but when they cant even maintain one viable character it leaves them rather deflated and demoralized with their gaming experience..

If the game truly never ends just where do you like anyone else end your time with the game and the community, when or where do you finally let go and move on ?

Many players on current Everquest servers and currently more or less casual in status on live for the most part seek a form of Nirvana where they can log in from time to time, pick up where they left off and still be in contention as a viable grouping or raiding character, making the game of Everquest more Everquested, some form of completion and peace of mind associated with letting go of the EVER part of Everquest if you will.

Many of these players like the idea of logging in 6 months to a year or even 3 down the road and being able to get right back into the game where they left off where everyone else left off not playing catch-up.

I know a lot of people that enjoy the social aspect of the game and prefer to level and gear one or two characters and then mainly devote their time to helping others and making groups and traveling as much fun as possible with charismatic communications back and forth and feel they are disconnected from being able to play in this fashion when they are constantly out of level range of people or in some distant expansion that has since long been forgotten.

In order to consolidate all these lost broken shattered dreams into one healthy thriving server some common ground was to be envisioned and for the most part PoP era was considered the golden Era of MMORPG's to date shortly after Wow and EQ2 coming onto the scene and many other MMORPG's today.. It represents a time long ago but never forgotten.

I guess in a nut shell, its for casual players whom like the idea of logging in a year, two or three down the road and still being viable, not lost in translation and playing in the golden age of MMORPG history forever rather than forever making history in MMORPG's.

Working on mains / alts and helping others and reliving what made everquest so great, the people, the community, the dream....
    Bailen and rippah30 like this.
  18. Z E L R O T H New Member

That's all nice in theory, and based on the assumption Agnarr will live on. To my knowledge there are few examples out there that show an expansion locked server is viable long-term. The more I read these sort of posts, the more I'm convinced this is driven by some artificial safe feeling of perpetuity so (casual) players feel they can take their time leveling or feel no self-induced rush. There is no indication this golden age will last forever, there will be a next TLP server and all this easy-up-take-your-time is in the end futile when you end up dinging 65 where people have moved on to the next hype and an end game largely deserted. Granted, and I cannot be clear enough about this, this is a pessimistic assessment of Agnarr, but not an impossible one.
  19. Deadshade Augur

Well this is actually not right and he has data .
    This very thread is data and it says with no ambiguity WHY people will join Agnarr .
    It was even the purpose of the thread .
    And the answer is that almost all of those who posted explain that they are convinced about the concept and they explain why they are convinced . It is all here - just reread the answers .
    Only few consider "raiding Time forever" and none say wanting to "ride the hype" .
    On the contrary - the majority explains that they do NOT care about raiding Time let alone forever .

One could nitpick by saying that those who post are only partially representative of the whole but having partially representative data is always much better than having none .
    If I extrapolated this data I would predict :
    - on start there will be thousands of new players on Agnarr
    - a crushing majority will be players who do not play EQ in any form right now (e.g Agnarr is a good DB business decision)
    - only a minority will come from Phinigel and/or be Krono farmers
    - when PoP comes, only a small fraction of the initial population will still be playing and a still smaller fraction (if any) will be considering raiding Time . The 2 - 3 years life duration of Agnarr may be long term for some and short term for others . For me it is long term .
    - Another TLP opens shortly after Agnarr arrives to PoP
  20. elebertus Journeyman

There's already a lot of good opinions here. I'm not going to write the novel I was prepared to.

The biggest draw for me, and one of the reasons why I continued to play some of the newer wow expansions was because I could roll an alt and still have a valid main. A person can reasonably have a raid geared main, for any era, and literally only raid on that character if that's what they want to do. Being able to spend time on another character, or even take a break for a couple of weeks, or months, is a pretty big deal. The selling point for me is definitely not the promise of new content (although I would be very happy if the server started in kunark). It is that I can still be part of a raiding guild and not have to dedicate absolute raid guild time after a certain point.

Sure - the initial grinds when each expansion unlocks, including the server launch - you're going to want to at very least level up reasonably fast to be able to start raiding, if that's what you want to do. After that and once raid content is on farm it's a lot more in line with people that have out of game commitments. My assumption is the demographic for this server is largely for casuals. People who don't want to casually play everquest or an mmo in general probably won't get much out of the server. There's abundant proof that there is a large enough player base that fits into this demographic. There isn't really a way to tell what percentage of them are willing to jump ship to AG though. That's okay though. I suspect we'll see a healthy enough population well into PoP to have raiding guilds and probably for quite a while afterwards.