What happens after PoP on Agnarr.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, May 21, 2017.

1. snailish Augur

Bewts points (some snipped from the original quote) are worth keeping in mind. It could certainly go that way (Agnarr not actually having a Time-capable guild).

Fortunately, my slow journey doesn't even really anticipate me getting far into PoP anyways, though IF there is capable raiding into PoP over the duration of Agnarr I may in fact get interested.

I'm hoping the population stays up enough that those with more of a raiding interest get to do that at least at a family-casual level.
  2. Dulu Augur

Mashef hit the nail on the head, but I want to reiterate what I think the most important point is.

Loot from classic mobs are still good --- forever.

They go up exponentially with each expansion, but there are still items from Vox/Nag/Sky/Hate/Fear that will be used in PoP raids. Your epic 1.0 will always be a passable weapon option.

Personally, I would have excluded LDoN and LoY from the server. They did a lot of advertising as "PoP-locked", and only later in the fine print did it say "We really meant locked in PoP-era" - well, whatever.
    Reynen likes this.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think the people who care about raiding will level up, get their firsts, and move on when PoP is done. I don't think they will even care about sticking around for LoY or LDoN. Some of the casuals (slowbies?) may care about raiding, but will generally accept whatever raiding they can accomplish with the time commitment they are available to make. So who knows if PoTime will matter much past PoP era. Maybe some casual raiding guilds will go for it. Even if it's one raid night a week, where they assemble the mass of their members, that may be good enough for the people who see no other way to do it.

Others though, the really casual folks, will move on to LoY and LDoN as soon as they open up. They--or we, as I am one--will advance past PoP, upgrade what they can, and then go back to PoP to see what new things they can accomplish with our new toys. Basically going back to old difficult content with newer gear and maybe two groups is the casual version of raiding.

Raiders don't think like casuals and casuals don't think like raiders. That's why we have these threads. I'm never going to see Quarm, never going to fight or defeat him. Anybody that plans to probably has a much different outlook on playing EQ than I do. That's fine, I hope they enjoy their run to whatever they consider the end of this server. The end for me here will either be all character slots filled with maxed and geared alts, or burning out before then. By taking it slow and not worrying about trying to get to an end, it should minimize the chance of burnout.

Maybe there will be nobody left to group with by then, only time will tell.
    Razzle, Bailen and snailish like this.
  4. Treesong Elder

I do not see a lot of problems when the "content racers" reach Time, then hit boredom and quit. So the early Timeguilds will leave the server: to me this seems the perfect situation for the next "batch" of Time Guilds to "rise up"; the more casual ones, the ones that have decided to join later, the Guilds that finally get their act together, the ones that manage to pick up stragglers from old Time Guilds that are playing Alts, and are still enjoying the server. Now they can become the big dog of the server (for as long as they want)

I think the beauty of this server is that you can always join, at any point, as an individual or Guild, casual or hardcore, wanting do the journey to Time once more. A server with an (epic) End goal actually within reach, while not being frustrated by some finishline that keeps moving away from you or your guild.

As stated earlier, Alkabor had a few things going against it, the most important one being that you had to jump through some hoops as a PC player before you could play there. I am pretty sure that right there cut off 80% of its potential casual playerbase. Most people shy away from stuff like that, and will not even try it.

Buggy Raids being a good second reason for Guilds getting frustrated with the server.
    Razzle likes this.
  5. daffie999 Augur

I think the reason people say GoD is because (as you said) it was so difficult people were still trying to finish it. OoW wasn't around long enough for people to spend much time with it. All I can recall from that time is working on the new epic. I also felt like it wasn't "jumping ship" so much as walking off one to the other. The crazy thing at that time was if you DIDN'T leave EQ for WoW.
  6. Ishbu Augur

People under estimate what a casual player can accomplish. Back in 2003 I had school, work, and my guild folded before any pop raiding. I tagged along open raids and smaller guilds needing more help all the way to elemental flags before the flagging changes.

With content locked at Pop and 10+ years of info, casual players can see all of PoP if they wish. Should have plenty of open raids for alts once the server has been capped for a few months
  7. Carns Lorekeeper

EQ was already feeling the pressure of other MMOs before WoW. DAoC, SWG, Plantside, CoH... I am sure there were others. The game was already reeling. EQ2 knocked it over, WoW nailed the coffin.

For the greater majority, the only time any of us even thought about EQ after that was when someone told them it was still around... to which we thought, "REALLY? WHY?"

We really have no lens to view "Current EQ Players" through other than as die hard remnants of a lost colony. We have no concept of how to relate to you, your motivations, or how to adapt to your "innovations". Fortunately for you, thanks to retro gaming movement that really got a strong infusion when Blizzard lost eight million subscribers across the course of one expansion, the almighty empire is here to bring you back into the fold. Despite your ignorant, savage ways... we, your saviors, will be happy to tell you how it should be done... and most importantly, how it will be done from now on. Your re-assimilation is appreciated, and most importantly, expected of you. And because we are gracious, we will allow you live as you have been, on your live server reservations.
    elebertus and Orxbane like this.
  8. Green_Mage Augur

There's a whole generation of MMORPG gamer that has no idea what a group focused MMORPG is like. In general difficult grouping content was rare in WoW. At least, by the time most players get to it and Blizzard "fixes" (dumbs down) the content.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think we need a modern game like p99. But this easy solo leveling crap is literally for amatures.
    xtnpd1 likes this.
  9. Ellis Elder

I think this is nonsense. You criticize his "false assumption" as if you have all the answers. You don't any more than he does, we can all speculate here but you don't have secret infoz here. I think the population of Agnarr will be more than sufficient to raid Time for a long time to come.
  10. malaki Augur

Yeah, I'd imagine there will be at least 1 or 2 guilds doing Time/LDoN raids pretty long after LDoN unlocks. I mean it won't be what it is at the start but it won't be barren.
  11. Mashef Augur

All servers die man. They are all dead but Phinny and Ragefire basically. The trivial populations on Fippy and some live servers don't really constitute a population. Any other game would have probably just shut down by now.

Reality is, this one has the best shot at longevity. The vast majority don't care about anything past maybe OoW at the most. I can live without GoD/OoW if this is the next best option. Servers don't die because of age they die because the content is terrible before age sets in. It would be nice to see a server die of old age for once instead of terrible content.

If it gets so weak they can always enable boxing and disable true-box code to revive it.
  12. nagash101 Augur

LDoNs? Play an Alt, take a break. Make another Alt. Who cares. it will be fun until the end.
    Razzle likes this.
  13. Amnzero New Member

I can't wait honestly. Tomorrow is going to be awesome.
    I tried playing back in 2002/3? But couldn't understand it (1st MMO experience, ended up playing FFXI for YEARS)
    I have wanted to get into EQ *SO BAD* but the cash shop just kind of kills it for me, so for me its like getting a brand new game, the way it *should* be with a few modern-day bits thrown in to make life easier.
    Hopefully i can find a few good groups to play with (who don't mind teaching lol), and am excited to roll this healer! Whoop Whoop!
  14. Machentoo Augur

You realize the cash shop is still there and will be a huge factor, right? It is far more pay to win now than it ever was back in the day.
  15. Bailen Augur

"You realize the cash shop is still there and will be a huge factor, right? It is far more pay to win now than it ever was back in the day."
    You can get bags and mounts. They're the items you can buy that'll have the biggest effect in game, wouldn't they? Helpful, sure. Consigned armor could be a factor too, but they are taking defiant out of the game on this server, aren't they? I would think they'd do the same for consigned armor since its defiant, pretty much. Potions can be helpful too, but you'd really have to spend a lot to consistently get yourself xp or sow pots that way.
    But yeah, if Amnzero had a problem with them on live, they'll be a bigger factor on Agnorr, where in game mounts will not be readily available. Not sure I'd call it pay to win though.
  16. Bailen Augur

I started playing around POP. I never did hit max level then, playing a lot of alts and never joining a big, serious guild. Around GoD I left for other games, came back off and on over the years, and of course didn't hit max level then either playing that way. Seemed like around GoD casual players left the game in droves, which wasn't surprising considering the other games being released around that time and the fact that the new expansions seemed geared more towards the really dedicated players, even much of the non raiding content.

Anyway, this server has me interested. It'll be a chance to possibly experience some parts of the game I missed the first time around. Maybe even do some raiding, assuming there's a decent population on the server by the time I advance far enough to raid.

I think there's a decent chance that this server will be a success. They'll be enough players who want to play in these old world zones at a leisurely place, who won't get bored of it any time soon.
    Razzle likes this.
  17. Deadshade Augur

Yes, I can . It is very probable that I will have already left by then because I noticed (back in 2002 then on Fippy) that the intensive typical EQ grind always kills my fun in playing somewhere around Luclin release . So I want nothing special to happen . If it lives it's OK, if it dies it is OK too .

Actually I don't care . I won't be there so people can do whatever they want .

As I said above, there is a 99% probability that I won't even be around when PoP releases . And in the 1 % when I will, like in 2002, I am not sure that I would be interested by doing Time . Actually I am rather sure that I wouldn't . Besides there are always things to do to upgrade if I feel like upgrading(quests, craft, drops) .

No . In the very hypothetical case that I would be still playing, I would craft . From what I remember back in 2002, in PoP was released a HUGE number of new recipes (specifically Tinkering and Jewelcrafting) and I did a lot of that . I would do the quests that I never did . I'd also like to raid the Plane of Torment, Plane of Disease and PoI that I missed and I'd like to see the Gods I have never seen .

Well yes but not because I have "beaten" Time what I won't but because I will start to be unable to bear the grind . It is precisely because of that much too intense grind that I will probably leave even before PoP .
  18. Mr Wonderful Journeyman

Alts, lots of alts. Try new classes. See the world.
    Bailen and Niskin like this.
  19. Labelme Journeyman

sorry but this is a truebox server
  20. DariyaVika Augur

Yes, I'm aware of this. This game runs just fine on my wife's six year old laptop, and $30 a month to maintain two accounts fits into my gaming budget.