What happens after PoP on Agnarr.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, May 21, 2017.

1. Mashef Augur

To expound upon this conversation in numerical format...
    1. Level 65 is the prime of this game (POP/LDON/LOY even to a lesser extent GoD)
    2. Smaller or more casual guilds can begin to handle tougher content in Velious and Luclin at 65
    3. Loot from old raids are not 100% trivial yet. You can still farm Velious/Luclin raids for significant upgrades. Many of them will last until EP's, some VT loot until Time.
    4. This server appeals to a guild that can fire up at any time and be a "progression" guild without worry of how far the server is. Nothing like Mercenaries, defiant gear or other broken things will be added.
    5. Level 65 is never that far behind with LDON/POP zones.
    6. AA is not excessive - anyone can grind out the core required 100-200 AA depending on class.
    7. More hardcore folks can farm older content in small groups to twink alts without having to worry about the alt needing to grind level 70 and 500 AA to even be applicable.
    8. Setups DBG for returning players/guilds, on occasion a new player will fire up on servers like Phinny or Fippy but ultimately those numbers are going to be small.
    9. Setups DBG for a future TLP server that starts at GoD and allows for character transfers off of Agnarr. Effectively starting a TLP at GoD with a fully geared charcter, no burnout and a cash cow in server transfer tokens might hold some appeal to folks once Agnarr has been locked for a full year.
    10. Alt-mania will exist here. I'm not even super hardcore and I have plans for 3 toons on 2 accounts for 6 characters. This is a prime server to experiment with classes/races you never played much without worry of being too far behind.
    Samueru, Talaran, Dulu and 3 others like this.
  2. Ishbu Augur

I tend to agree with this, despite being one of the people looking forward to Agnarr. Classic is fun, but many people have just run through it somewhat recently, and there just isnt that much variety to be found there. Starting with Kunark, if not Kunark and Velious open a lot of great leveling zones that otherwise get limited to alts. With the Ragefire esq xp rate, its likely to be 3rd and 4th generation alts.

Then again, with the server locking at PoP, that content will thrive with a healthy population of alts and new players, so I guess that brings me full circle to why Im excited for this server.
  3. Syllestrae Elder

Pretty much this.

I'll make my penultimate main character, and then work on alts in the background. I'm not looking for a server I can play until I die of old age, I'm just looking to have some fun and enjoy replaying a lot of the content I first enjoyed almost 20 years ago.
    DariyaVika, snailish and Rhodz like this.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

P99 has 1400 or more single boxers at peak hours.

I rest my case.
  5. Rhodz Augur

What case would that be?
  6. Green_Mage Augur

Yea. Both DBG and I believe that there can be even more interest in a PoP locked server than p99. Partly because the trilogy has been overplayed a lot by now, and partly because the p99 raid scene is horrible.
  7. Sandrito Elder

Having played on the AlKabor server for years (also locked at PoP) and with a lower population meant that stuff happened slowly. It was years before some bosses were beaten. The sleeper was still asleep, so everyone could get SoD and masks. It allowed time for people to get their alts geared up as good as their mains, and there was a lot of intra-guild collaboration. It was a great server.

Unlike for example on the Phinny server, everyone rushes like its the last orgasm they will ever have if they don't finish all content tomorrow, or the super nerds have to over everyone else to show how clever they are /shrug
    Reynen, Jaxarale and Rhodz like this.
  8. InsomniAddict Journeyman

While I enjoyed the entire game through PoP, aside from PoK specifically, I have to admit that as a bard puller at 65, I think I enjoyed the LDoN dungeons the the most in the game. So I'm not disappointed that it's stopping there, since after progressing past 65 people stop doing the LDoN dungeons.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Does get old. I cant even imagine what some common courtesy on a server wide basis would even look like now. Hoping for better on AG but not expecting.
  10. malaki Augur

Most likely scenario is that after a few months at cap the server will take a pretty heavy population hit but have more than enough people to continue doing all the content.
    Reynen likes this.
  11. Polekn Augur

That people like free stuff?
    Rhodz likes this.
  12. Sdoofbuc Augur

What happens after PoP on Agnarr?

Nothing. It just stops.

You can close the thread now.
  13. Kanuvan Elder

I will continue to enjoy the game that isent 10 expansions ahead of me as i roll my 3rd alt, something i havent done since true classic
    xtnpd1, anathema, DariyaVika and 3 others like this.
  14. Treesong Elder

What Kanuvan said. I was sad when Alkabor was shut down, it was great to have a server where you could always roll a character knowing the top-tier was only 65 levels away. Alkabor never felt as top heavy as the live servers do. PoP/Time always will be a great "end" to strive for, imo it's the perfect Epic goal of an adventure that is actually attainable. But yeah, I am a filthy casual, extremely slow leveler and hardcore nostalgic. :)

Edit: and also what Mashef said, that is a great testament for Agnarr.
  15. Razzle Augur

Yup. Some people will never understand this, no matter how you try to explain it to them heh. I play a lot of old games I like....because I like them. :)
  16. Ticino Journeyman

Roll up an alt and do it all again. Got 8 characters to make, up to I think 14 with purchases, plenty of space to alt casually.
  17. Nolrog Augur

That was part of the problem (a large part, I agree). The other part was that they complete rewrote the graphics and related systems and the game was virtually unplayable for a while, until they got it sorted out.

This was also the time they did the Guild Summit, which led to the delay of Omens so they could retune Gates to make it better in line with the 65 cap.
  18. squidgod Augur

LoY and LDoN, then Pantheon (in some form).

12-16 months of EQ will be enough for me. By that time I'll be ready to play something else.
  19. Bewts Augur

The false assumption here is that by the time your turtle pace takes you to PoP flagging and PoTime, you'll have enough people around to actually do it.

This was always a struggle with EQMac as the limited population on a seasoned server simply could not provide for all of the community to reach Elemental Planes, let alone defeat the Elemental gods. To be fair, EQMac had some buggy raid encounters that really roadblocked anyone from Time.

Still, with a guild alliance raiding on that server, PoP progress was limited for Dark Conquest AND we had the capability to box.

Just wait until that time hits on Agnarr and you cannot even box to try to make it to the end of PoP.

I'm not trying to talk down the server, just trying to share some experiential wisdom that the turtle pace is an Achilles heel to actual advancement; the window to reach the end game is going to be limited once the racing content eaters move on.
    Sendori and snailish like this.
  20. Basak Augur

EQMac had pretty much no advertisement and was Mac only until some enterprising people found a way to hack the client to permit windows users a way onto the server. These things right here are reasons enough why there was not a whole lot of people.

Then, EQMac started and ended in PoP. So even if people had heard of it some of them may not want to play on it because it would take time to reach PoP level. Granted it is what more people wanted than what was around at the time, but it was still a deterrent. Which in effect blocked others from wanting to play there.

Now, Agnarr. Will be starting in Classic and working it's way up. You would get the people that wouldn't have played on EQMac, if they had heard of it, now interested because they can level up with the server.