Tower of Rot Raid

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deillusional, May 25, 2014.

1. Tearsin Rain Augur

sounds to me like the weight of rot aura is the most likely culprit here.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Vlerg Augur

probably the aura omnipresent during the raid? I believe it's the first time dev have used such detrimental aura?
  3. Tearsin Rain Augur

do you mean of that specific type, or just a raid-wide aura in general?
    there's definitely been raid-wide auras before.

actually now that i think about it, unless something went seriously stupidly sideways with the setup for the weight of rot, it likely isn't that.

what's the system in use for generating the CC debuffs?
    is that some kind of aura as well? or is it like 5 different auras, all checking every PC action to see if they do anything that would validate a debuff being cast on them?
  4. SaderakhBertox Augur

It has to be way more complex than an aura or a table or character models. Everyone experiences those yet some do not experience any noticeable performance issues.

How about the way the server calculates the weight of rot aura effects on the player (x54)? Maybe a player with a higher number of hops to and from the server is at a bigger disadvantage here?
  5. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Maybe something going on with what Tearsin said.

When they initially released the Auto-Grant AA the server was constantly checking everyone every time they zoned. It lagged everything down considerably.

Perhaps checking for every CC spell on every tick on every mob could be the culprit.

Could be an easy thing to check... just change all of the mobs to immune to CC, get rid of the check, and see if instance lags then.

But, it did sound like people were lagging before the event even started, soon as people were gathering around the table. So. Idk.
  6. Vlerg Augur

I meant the first aura to reduce the duration of detrimental spell, block mana preservation ( from gift of mana, items or glyphs) and etc..
  7. Deillusional Augur

In general we do not start to lag until we get the adds are are up and look at them. Obviously when you get more adds at the end, people start to lag like crazy and unable to perform their functions. I am not really lagging so i cant test this further. This is with a Nvidia gtx 650 (1gb), 8gb ram and i7-2600k intel cpu. The weight of rot is being cast by an invisible aura at a guess.
  8. Deillusional Augur

It could be the block check script at a guess it to do with adds after all.
  9. Drakang Augur

I have gotten the lag before any adds are up. Adds just make it worse. Lag makes this much more painful than it should be. We are close to a win and should get it with it the way it is. But removing the lag would still leave it a challenging event.
    Fenthen and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The lag as weird, as a caster for the last 13 years I've spent laggy raids looking at walls to get rid of it, that doesn't work in this raid.

I don't think it is the number of players in the raid nor the models, it is more likely to be a mechanic. Checking everyone to see if they have cast a no no spell seems to be the obvious one.
  11. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

We have the clerics mark them to get rid of the DS & have a GINA trigger for when to back off for the melee & when to re engage, works pretty well for the most part.
  12. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Damn edit always whites out for me! But yeah the lag is bad for most of us & nearly crippling for some.
  13. Drakang Augur

One complaint I do have with the raid design is the random factor. When you hit the Fallen how hard a time you have is randomly determined by the number of a fallen Advisor that spawn. Since each one starts casting a fairly nasty viral dot you can go from an annoyance of one or two people having to run away from the raid to mass chaos if you get 4 of them at the same time with tanks getting hit while trying to lock them down.

The random factor on the royals is not as big a deal as they can be dealt with much easier. But in the final 25% where you are trying to keep up with the very rapid spawn rate having your chances of win affected drastically by pure luck on what pops is annoying. Luck really should not enter into it like this.

If it was the same every time or at least limited to no more than 1 advisor per spawn this would be a more even event. Keeping up with 2 mobs every 45 seconds while killing % based adds and DPSing the named while CCing 8 adds with the effects to block remezzing is already challenging enough. having 4 advisors pop at once (yes it happened to us) just really makes it over the top
  14. Pwnography Augur

Well, its definitely in the aura. The event is completely lag free prior to start - I run and hop around at 60 FPS without any issues until the hail is given. At that point, things move into slow motion when the aura takes hold. It isn't due to computer limitations - never once have I seen any of my eight cores peak above 20% nor either GPU above 3-5% in XFire. I assume its server-side with the constant suppression of mana preservation and detrimental effects. Perhaps its running the check every time a spell/ability is used, or perhaps the aura is constantly refreshing itself multiple times a second and overloading the instance. Its all speculation at this point. I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with the mob buff duration halving mechanic - I'm not noticing much if a difference from original engage to adds. I think its just more bodies/spells to run aura refreshes or spell checks against.

Tl;dr - I have no clue. Hopefully its fixed soon.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. Redrum_Redrum Augur

What makes this raid hard is after trying to power burn the adds once he unlocks the mana/end drain wipes you. While I'm all for hard raids I feel just the removal of the timed red con adds from 25-5% while still leaving the normal 5% spawns will still make this a tough but somewhat manageable raid. What I don't get is why the blue con npc's are not kill able with no respawn at 25% since you are entering a new phase just like at 75% when you can kill them and not have them respawn. Most guilds do not have the 5 mill dps burn like RoI to push through the 20+ adds at this phase.
    Elricvonclief and Powerful like this.
  16. Deillusional Augur

People are lagging on different system types one person with a similar system to the next will not lag, and the other might with a similar system. Points to consider on "fixing" the raid.

Reduce the number of royals to 4, and have the Red cons % based only and do away with the timed adds.

I know this "cheeses" the raid, but when you have tanks unable to lock the add and dps move to actual dps the add, its gets tiresome raiding for x minutes, then have key people lag out and the end and wipe for numerous attempts.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Drakang Augur

You can still CC off the blue cons. Course makes extended target hard to use since you get to see one fallen on there. But removing the every 45 second adds or letting the blue cons be killed off early would make it a much simpler but still challenging raid.
  18. Fenthen aka Rath

The raid would have beatable by 5-10 guilds by now if not for the inability to actually raid the content properly due to lack of movement, spell casting, melee reaction time, etc. The dynamics are challenging enough that it **would** be a fun raid, if I could muster more than 0-10 frames per second.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Tonight my lag was just about workable until the adds at 25%. Then I couldn't cast for a good few seconds, once everything had been locked down things seemed to return to how it was before until repop and new mobs running round.

It is frustrating to get to the same point every time and wipe due to lag, after battling successfully through most of the raid. :(

Fix the lag or reduce the numbers....or both. :p
  20. Trikkii New Member

I have no issues with this "Melee hating mechanism. Simply back off, call for your cure and get back in. Fairly simple, if people are failing at this on a regular basis in your guild, there in lies your real issues. Lack of focus and mediocrity. Fix the daydreamers and you can fix allot of problems.
    Romance, Bahdah and Enkel like this.