The Price Of Everquest.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zalde, Jan 15, 2013.

1. KermittheFroglok Augur

[/https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Wow, you might be right today’s $14.99 < 99’s inflation adj. $15.37 , although some people might be paying sales tax now.
  2. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

What's that you missed the lifetime sub deal they offered a few years back? That's unfortunate...
    and yes I'm too lazy to check if it actually payed for itself yet.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

Feels cheap to me. I could buy movies online, or if we were not in lockdown, visit a sports bar.
    Both would cost me far more than Everquest does.
    And I get to virtually hang out with people I consider closer friends than many real life acquaintances.
    Nennius and Yinla like this.
  4. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

It's just cheaper to get a hooker...

*weeps inside...*
  5. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

46 cents a day can in fact feed a whole family if you are buying the right ingredients, thrifty and stretching the food out. Although there is a difference if you only have 46 cents a day and starving children or have $3.22 upfront for a week or $14 starting for a whole month or what other things like spices you have on hand.

Carrots are a dollar a pound, possibly two pounds. Celery is a dollar or two a pound. Cabbage is on average fifty cents a pound. Beans are a dollar a pound. Ten pound bag of potatoes are three dollars. Onions are one or two dollars for three pounds. Several heads of garlic for about two or three dollars. Rice is one dollar a pound or if you buy the large Asian rice bags like fifteen or twenty dollars for twenty to thirty pounds.

(Watch this and avoid rice grown in America. There are exceptions, but it is just easier and safer to avoid entirely.

)

I am not saying you wont be bored with the food. Spices and choicer ingredients can help make bland food taste better. However if you can not afford it, you can not afford it. However I get all my spices from the Dollar Tree. I get most of my fresh foods from Winco and The 99 Cent Store (yes they actually have a good selection, not everything is 99 cents mind you, but it is at a decent and fair price.) When I buy salt and pepper I buy the grinding containers so I can crack it fresh and it will give you the most flavor. Little lemons like ten or twenty in a bag are about a dollar and you can add it to the dish itself so the "cooking" heat does not kill off the vitamin C. Fresh garlic is renowned for it's health benefits, as are onions. There is more calcium in some vegetables, than there are in milk. What I mentioned as foods I keep as staples in my pantry. I never go hungry and live quite happily frugally.

Now if we are talking you live in an area that is basically a food desert where all you have are gas stations with chips and soda and a Mc D's on every street corner, but not a grocery store for miles and you have no vehicle and your public transportation sucks or is non-existent... then yea, your milage may vary. Hopefully we can eliminate those food deserts.

And if you are speaking of .46 a day being sent over seas to feed those hungry children, again it is money over time collected. I am sure they have their resources there that allows them to buy cheap food as well. They probably set up community gardens as well. In fact having your own garden eliminates much of the need of going to a store, for vegetables anyway.
  6. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Personally I would be glad to pay about $9.99 a month on a month to month basis for the content that was available back then, which was Trilogy, Luclin and I believe Planes of Power. I am not sure exactly which expansion the pricing change started. But EQ did not charge more for more content. They were charging more because they knew they could because of the new kids on the block.

Either they thought they could squeeze out more from their customers or they did not want to seem "cheap" by comparison. Personally I felt that was a mistake. $10 a month is the sweet spot for me. However the game is essentially free now so there is no reason to complain. ^^! Plus a Silver account is a wonderful thing!
  7. smash Augur

Basically if you dont like the price, dont pay/buy it, dont expect things to be free. They have a business where they have to earn money.

Some here seems to expect that prices would be like they were 20 years ago or so. They not.

I think if you start calculate, prices are actually lower than they were 20 years ago, inflation and such.
  8. Febb Augur

Gotta love these old necros.

The company is struggling to stay afloat and we're talking about lowering the subscription?

[IMG]
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

New Everquest Rates Mar 25 2002
    $12.95/month
    $35.85 for 3 months ($11.95 per month)
    $65.70 for 6 months (10.95 per month)
    $109.00 for 12 months ($9.08 per month) Limited time offer.
    $190.00 for 24 months ($7.91 per month) Limited time offer

New EverQuest rates as of June 12, 2005:
    • $14.99 per Month
    • $41.97 for 3 Months ($13.99 per month)
    • $77.94 for 6 Months ($12.99 per month)
    • $143.88 for 12 Months ($11.99 per month)
    • $199.95 for 24 Months ($8.33 per month)
    • ALL ACCESS FOR STATION PASS $21.99 per month
    Everquest Today:
    $14.99 per month
    $38.97 per 3 months ($12.99 per month)
    $71.94 Per 6 months ($11.99 per month)
    $119.88 per 12 months ($9.99 per month)
    No separate pricing for ALL ACCESS - it is included in above rates.
    Big Mac in 1999 $2.50 - today $5.50
    Movie ticket in 1999 $5.00 - today ???? around $10.00
    code-zero, Nennius and Yinla like this.
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Where are you getting this data from?

The fact is DPG is privately held. There is no way for you to know what their financials look like unless they were shared with you from inside the company - which they won't do. They're privately held. They won't share internal finances.

Curious on your source.
  11. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

People talking about inflation now, when back then it had nothing to do with it.
    It simply became the industry standard at the time to raise prices. This idea that it has to be the same as others or feel that people wont take you as seriously as the other games is ridiculous. It's the same thing with the free to play option. It's the industry standard to offer some kind of trial. Whether it be up to a certain level or entirely free, but with caveats, quite a few have them.
  12. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Cute gif ^^! As others have said, in relative terms the game is actually quite cheap. A single movie ticket and popcorn and a drink can exceed the $15 asking price. A decent dinner can easily go over that. A soda a day for half a month, give or take a few days, reaches that point. A couple packs of cigarettes, a carton for sure, will. Come to think of it, EQ is really not that expensive at all... Better yet it is available for free so, yea... what are we discussing again?
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First off I think the price of EQ is fine for me at least. I think I am getting reasonable value for my money.

Second, comparing it to going to a theatre to see a movie is well... ummm... silly lets say. Because I go to see movies at the theatre and I can tell you very few people do that. It has been many many years since I have ever been in a movie theatre that has been even half full.

I much prefer going out for a few drinks or dinner comparison except that atm we can't do any of that.

Everquest - you can still play it during a pandemic :)
  14. minimind The Village Idiot

• The current state of Everquest is great for almost everyone. Crashes over the last year have been rare. This last month had been rough, but we're stable again. TLPs are always rough.
    • The original game/code is old, but they add new content and correct bugs in existing content. Moreover, there's still a ton of content I haven't actually experienced. I've only played to max level as a Berserker main and Shaman box. ALL of that content can be re-experienced as a different class main.
    • It's used to be $9.99/month, but it didn't go up because it got newer. It went up because expenses go up regardless of the age of the game. (Coders, developers, community managers-- they all need pay, raises, benefits, etc.) The cost of bread goes up, but you don't get more of it. The cost of gasoline goes up (and down), but it's the same chemical.
    • $39.99 is high depending on your financial situation. Honestly, a whole lot of people who play EQ shelled out that much for the latest expansion... and chances are they'll pay the same for the next one.

"Fair" price is often thrown around, but it's hard to determine a fair price as a customer. You need to know what it takes to actually maintain and continually create new content to evaluate "fair".
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

People really need to consider the time value of money, too.

Let's say you buy every expac, and pay monthly to sub. That's $40 + $15 x 12 = $220/year, or about 61 cents a day. If you average 1 hour of playtime a day (sounds like a lot to some, for others, it's not even close ;) ), you're paying 61 >cents< for an hour of entertainment. Compare to most anything else. It's not even in the same ballpark.

You either like the game, so pay, or if you don't like the game, don't pay, duh. Why pay for something you don't like?
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Good catch. It won't stop the idle speculation, but it does give folks something to do. Kind of a placeholder waiting for something useful to fill it.

And in that vein:

[IMG]
    Celephane likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Not that it really matters, but $12.95 USD in 2001 adjusted for inflation is actually calculated to be $18.75 USD. I think we are getting a good deal.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2001?amount=12.95

But, to continue the ongoing trend of false comparisons. I paid .59 cents a gallon in San Diego in 1976, the year I started driving. Adjusted for inflation, the price of gas in san Diego should be about $2.66/gallon USD. The other day I paid $2.79/gallon USD (no complaints actually) and that makes EQ a better deal than gasoline for me.

Isn't math fun?

Anyway, the only equation for me is whether or not I enjoy playing the game at the price offered. I enjoy it and I plan to continue playing.
    minimind and Yinla like this.
  18. Angahran Augur

It used to be $9.89 for 989 studios.
    I believe the price increase was because various governments felt they should be paid for things they have absolutely nothing to do with so started charging tax for internet transactions, so obviously the internet companies had to pass this onto their customers.

$15/month (less with longer subscription plans) is pretty reasonable for, effectively, a month's worth of 24/7 entertainment.

You could spend more than that going out for a meal or for a drink.
  19. Sikkun Augur

They were already taxable but the main laws for digital good tax (like marketplace crap) wasn’t until 2011. EQ subs went up in 2005 https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-50010 because servers were not cheap.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Maedhros High King

What I gather from this is that Corwyn lives in a town with a tiny population and only goes to the matinee on a weekday afternoon during the school year and only watches indie movies that have been out for weeks or months already. :p
    I have not seen a movie in the theater since Star Wars the Rise of Skywalker because Covid19 came along, but it was packed. Infinity war was packed, pretty much every sci-fi and superhero movie was packed. When I lived in San Diego, Wonder Woman sold out for days and we had to wait to see it.
    Experiences definitely vary here.

As far as the OP saying EQ is too expensive, this is a lot like a recent thread about us paying for epic 3.0s in which I broke down the costs.
    $15 a month over a year is $180.
    Expansion costs $40 for a grand total per year of $220.
    If you play the game 5 hours a week, which is not very much at all, that rounds out to .85 cents per hour of entertainment.
    Bottom line, EQ is not expensive at all.