The Price Of Everquest.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zalde, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Nillaien Journeyman

100,000 dollars in 14 years is roughly 20 bucks a day...... Now if he meant to say 10,000 then it's only 2 bucks and I'd have to agree with ya ha!
  2. Sophia Lorekeeper

If you think a game that involves continual, heavy grinding isn't 100% sexy, I don't know what to tell you.
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  3. Tegila Augur

he said 10k not 100k, and i dont buy that estimation unlessy ou spend a bunch on sc or LoN, or are including electricity, computer maintenance, or internet service. even at base price 15bucks a month for all 14 years (and it wasnt that high to start) its 180 a year, plus 19 expacs at 40bucks each, thats 760. so 2520+760 is only 3280, MAX per account to have played the game since launch. any other fees are either optional or are incurred whether you play eq or play facebook apps for free. 10k wouldve easily easily covered 3 accoutns for all 14years straight and thats at 15 a month from the start.

taht said, if hte remaining 6800bucks is for computer maintenance, electricity, and itnernet access, then the price of eq is nominal in comparison (which is true, my yearly cost of 4 accounts with all expacs etc is less than what i pay for the internet to use them, add in the electricity and the maintenance and its far more..especially since i run 3-4 computers) cost of eq is nothing next to simply having a computer eating electricity, even an ancient computer you spend nothing to maintain, and the internet to access the account, until you hit at least 4 accounts, the cost of any highspeed (non-dialup) internet is more than the game that you need it for.
  4. Nillaien Journeyman

I see five zeros. The comma is wrong, hence my comments.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The argument isn't bad; you're view of it is. Whether you pay it up front or not; I am sorry, but if you cannot afford to pay $119.88 immediately for a 12 month subscription then you definitely don't need to be paying $179.88 over 12 months for a 12 month subscription. Set back $10/month and in a year you can go back to gold.

To the OP, EQ is cheaper than going to see 2 (in a few more years maybe even 1) movie at the theater in a month. Honestly, if you don't want to pay what they charge don't pay it, go silver, buy whatever unlockers you can't live without and play that way. After that then it's just $40~ a year at most.
  6. Cicelee Augur

I wonder how economically feasible it would be for SOE to release a pricing plan where you pay something like $7.00 per month, but are limited to only being able to play for 15 hours in that rolling 30 day period. Once your 15 hours are up, you cannot play until the next billing cycle.

I say if it is economically feasible because would SOE be gaining sales through more non gold members going this route... or losing sales from gold members dropping down from $15 to $7.00 a month. Not sure
  7. Tegila Augur

they could always charge you a dollar a day that you'rel ogged in, no matter how long you're logged in, and once you hit 15, you're open for the rest of hte month /idk. the cost is now irrelevant though since patch is removing platcaps on f2p and putting kronos in the gmae, so you can buy your gametime with plat
  8. Pizacatto - CT Augur

I actually get plenty of dates. That's why I'm not totally uber in EQ, too busy with RL to buckle down for more than 20 hours a week (including weekends) to play. That's less than 3 hours a day of playtime over the course of the week, and I spend most my time playing on Saturday and Sunday days.

It's possible to balance RL and EQ, you just have to suffer in EQ.
  9. Shang Augur

What's the comedy movie coming out soon with the fat woman?

She's in the car singing Oooo Baracuda.

I don't watch TV and forgot the name.
  10. Maereax Augur

Are you kidding? Go to the movies. Seriously, go to a movie theater, buy tickets for two people, some popcorn and a soda to share. Congrats, you just spent enough to cover an expansion and six months game time for an EverQuest account. Go complain to the regal cinemas forums.
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  11. Sinestra Augur

People who are on a monthly budget or don't make enough money to plop down large one time amounts often find it easier to pay smaller amounts which end up as a whole costing more. It's the whole basis of companies like Rent A Center which specifically target lower income people.

EQ is cheap entertainment, but if your monthly entertainment budget is only $50.00 then you have to make it work for you unless that amount is available only for your EQ addiction, that won't stretch far. It isn't a view of the argument that is bad, the argument itself is flawed.
  12. Axxius Augur

I guess it's a bad argument is you are living in Zimbabwe. For any country with an almost zero rate of inflation, paying $120 up front doesn't make any difference.
  13. duo13 Elder

its like 46 cents a day >
  14. Pizacatto - CT Augur

Old debate is old. This has been thoroughly covered over the preceding 13 years of EQ. I remember then firestorm that landed when they raised the price back in the day!!
    Nennius and Sinestra like this.
  15. Pizacatto - CT Augur

Do you know how many hungry children that can feed? I haven't watched TV in a few years, so I personally don't know, but they used to say it could feed a couple of them or something.
    Sinestra likes this.
  16. Inokis Journeyman

back in 2004 or so, the sub was 9.99. im not sure if the people who kept the sub at that price still have it or not. Wish I hadn't quit my sub if that is the case.
  17. Axxius Augur

In 2005 for the 6th anniversary they offered a recurring sub at $99/year for as long you don't change it.
  18. Sinestra Augur

It was actually $9.89 when EQ opened. And no, no one got to keep that pricing. They have had certain discounts and of course the yearly cost for buying a year at a time equals out to be $9.99 a month.
  19. Straahdx Augur

Identity thief or something like that. Only seen the preview once, so the name may be slightly off..
  20. Cakvala Augur

I pay on average $47.89 per month (exclude expansions) on Everquest. This to me is about the same cost going to the movies once a month.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.