The Price Of Everquest.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zalde, Jan 15, 2013.

1. zalde New Member

$15.00 a month is too much for everquest in it's current state.The game is old and should not be the same price as much more modern games.It used to be $9.99 a month and i really think that would be a fair price for a gold account.
    I went to look at the latest expansion and it is $39.99.That again seems very high priced for a game this old. I did some reading on the forums about the latest expansion and it seems that it is only half an expansion?People are waiting for the second half and some even think it may be for sale with sony money..market.
    Is this the current state of everquest?
    I understand the game CAN be free to play but for me that is not an option.I prefer subbing to a game for a FAIR price.
    15 a month tho and another 40 to get current...I could buy a brand new game for that.
    dirgenoobforreal likes this.
  2. zalde New Member

I am sorry i put this in the veteran lounge.It was meant to be in the noobie one.I apologize.
  3. CaptAmazing Augur

I agree the $40 was way too much for the product received. That said, I bought three copies. The monthly isn't so bad, especially if you do other than monthly recurring.
  4. Oculus Elder

So it sounds like you quit a while back and now are looking to get back into it?

I wouldn't complain if it was cheaper but I don't think its out of line as is.

I have 4 gold accounts that cost me $60 a month......that's still cheaper to me than a half a night out.
    FubarEQ and Starlanae like this.
  5. Axxius Augur

1. The price is still $9.99/mo if you subscribe for 12 months. I don't know when it was $9.99 without a subscription. It was the same when I first paid for it in 2002.
    2. The $39.99 tag is not for an old game, it's for a new expansion. You get the old game with it for free.
    UnnamedPlayer and Nolrog like this.
  6. Axxius Augur

For somebody with 4 accounts, you can save 1/3 of that money if you buy a 12-month subscription. It would be only $40/mo.
  7. Oculus Elder

Well yeah but I want to reserve the right to nerd rage and quit at any time :p
  8. Nolrog Augur

If you don't think the $15 price provides you with value for your money, don't play. If you'd rather spend that money on a new game, then do that.

Try going to a movie. It will cost you like $11 bucks to get through the door, not including food, drink and a date. And after 2 hours you have nothing. In EQ, for 15 bucks, you can play all day every day.
  9. Axxius Augur

Not to mention that the market is overflowing with $40-$60 games that offer less content than 1 EQ expansion, no multiplayer or PvP, and no continuity or community whatsoever.
    Starla and Tegila like this.
  10. Ronak Augur

How much do dates charge these days?
  11. Nolrog Augur

Well, I'm not sure how much they'd charge you, but for me, they pay for the priveldge (sp?) :p

Oh, and to add, with Krono coming tomorrow, you don't even have to pay out of pocket if you didn't want to (and had enough in game plat.)
  12. Hatsee Augur

Let's be honest.

If you play EQ you aren't getting any dates. Period.
  13. Tegila Augur

thats like all the people that say women dont play the game or if they do theyre extremely unattractve. bth patently false assumptions.

that said, yeah 15bucks a month is thecost of 1 pack of cigarettes a week (if that) and though im a smoker smoking isnt exaclty beneficial, except perhaps to calm murderous urges lol..which eq also can quell, and more cheaply. 15bucks a month is 1-2 energy drinks a week if that. 15bucks a month is 1 shot at happy hour a week. 15bucks a month is 1 singleperson's order of delivery food a month, its a case of water a week, it's less than the electric bill to run your computer to PLAY the game muchless the internet access to access it. 15bucks a month is not at all out of balance for what one can get out of the game.

I do think it'd be kinda cool for htem to sell smaller memberships for those people that dont want t pay 15 a month because they only play maybe 1 day a week or 1 week a month or whatever, many games do this (sell weekly or biweekly memberships) but eq isnt really a game that will give much enjoyment to someone thato nly plays a few hours a month anyway. also as states those $40 games (price of expansions) will only last a couple months if that for most people. msot games of this sort charge MORE for their expansions and msot do NOT give you every one previous just for buying the newest. (including EQII afaik) this is the equivalent of buying final fantazy 14 or wahtever (i ve never played it) and receiving every previous version of the game in the package.

also as said if 15 a month is too much, you can always buy gamecards or kronos when they come, for ingame plat, you can buy 3month 6month or 1-2 year subs at greatly reduced monthly costs. the sheer number of people that DO continue to pay their 15a month and buy expacs, despite there being ftp now available and the first 17 expacs free, proves taht it is certainly still worth the cost to the majority of the player base, or they simply woudlnt play. everyone wishes everything in teh world was cheaper than it is, the difference comes wehn they stop buying said product because it's simply not worth the cost anymore. and i woudlnt say most people that have quit eq have ever quit due to the cost, if they enjoy the game they find otherways to maintain it, those that quit quit because theyve lost the enjoyment or simply dont have the time anymore
    DonQuexil likes this.
  14. Talif Augur

It was actually $9.89 (get it, developed by 989 Studios) from release until..late 2001? early 2002?
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  15. Tegila Augur

inflation. back then i could get the same cable service for 40bucks a month that now costs nearly double /shrug eq's remained teh same price for 10 years though despite everything else in teh world going up i nprice.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Talif Augur

To be clear, I have no problem with the current pricing, just as I had no problem when the price originally went up. I was just pointing out when it changed.
  17. Tegila Augur

right. i was using yoru timetable to address the thread itself is all
  18. iniari-TR Augur

its been calculated that the cost for everquest adding up all the expansions + subscription cost X 14 years adds up to about $10,0000 :eek:
  19. Talif Augur

I know I've spent WAY more than that on alcohol in that time frame, and all that ever gave me was a gut and some rough mornings =p
  20. EverChanter Augur

Gotta love this argument. It's only that much IF you pay the total up front. It's not $9.99 for anyone looking for a monthly basis, it's $119.88 for 12 months.

Bad argument is bad~
    Sinestra likes this.