So.. Xp nerf

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by silku, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL please show me where you can find a quote where I said old content should be the best place to exp. You shouldn't have to resort to making up comments of mine to support your argument. All I have ever said is that exp in the old content should not have been nerfed as much as it was.

Go find the quote of mine to support your argument or admit you are making things up :)

I would be happy if you just responded and said "Sorry Cor you are right you never said old content should be the best place to exp, I was wrong." But are you able to say that?

P.S. and If I had said something like that, which I didn't. Would two wrongs make a right? Nope.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually Battleship I am not even sure you can find a quote from anyone who said old content should be the best place to exp. The only comments I recall seeing are people saying old content should be a viable place to exp not the best place.

That has to be a bit embarrassing.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Ruven_BB Augur

Remove the penalties, any disincentive to play any of EQ right now isn't a good thing. And for some not all mind you, the xp nerf removes the desire for them to play in old content, and they don't like or want to play in new content so they have been quitting.

Loss in subscriptions isn't a win for anyone at this point in the game. And the "business plan" hasn't changed is a veiled answer since it isn't public. Will there be another expansion is a fair question, that wasn't answered. Will game mechanics broken with updates be addressed and resolved?

What happened to "evaluate" in the define, plan, execute, and evaluate" process? Based on my decisions, others I am in contact with, and anecdotal evidence, the latest expansion has to be the worst in game sales and loss subscriptions as a percentage.

Reverse some of the stupid changes that make no sense long term, if changes need to be made, make sure they are not knee jerk reactions and the changes to the long term are considered and factored in.

Ruven
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Grove like this.
  4. Chorus Augur

Seems to me that the xp nerf coincides closely with the advent of Daybreak. I'm betting they used the nerf to force some data collection numbers so that it indicated utilization for level 101+ targeted content was actually being currently used by most, if not all of the 101+ community. It would make sense they were in the process of collecting usage statistics right about that time given the relative timing of the buyout announcement.

This entire thing smells of political spin.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

They did go to quite an effort to get everyone in to TDS so it is plausible that the higher ups were trying to increase the numbers on the latest expansion to show the continuing viability of EQ. I assumed they simply wanted to ensure they make a decent amount of money off TDS. It makes sense at some point that they were going to have to push expansion sales more as the EQ population declines but your idea is interesting.
  6. segap Augur

A few weeks prior to the initial thread on the nerfs, there were forum threads created by players talking about how they would grind out the new levels. Discussions like going through rof quests and leaving the last hail, how many completed tasks you could have without claiming rewards, saved exp clickies, etc. I'd actually give a lot more merit to those player threads sparking developer concerns than to any conspiracy theories.

Investor types wouldn't care about the utilization metrics. They care about subscription base, renewal %, sales and recurring revenue numbers.
  7. Battleaxe Augur

They went to quite an effort with OMM missions to (paraphrasing if not directly quoting) prepare players for the challenges they would face in the new content when it arrived. Please note that after it arrived the prepare to face new content phase was over (OMM exp nerf) and the enjoy the new content phase began. This kind of thing is not new.

So mana burn shouldn't have been fixed because some Wizards liked forming a 6 Wizard group and pwning Kunark dragons?

OMM should not onlt hand out exp but should give out current content quality raid gear because some players like to not play their characters given the effort they pout into their gear, prefer shrouded events, and like missions so easy one character can do them and 5 sit at the zone in?

I seriously doubt Daybreak is going to entertain Totally TrivialQuest because they fear some players will quit if they have to play EverQuest. The casual game with Heroic characters, auto grant AA's, etc. is not too haaard. If it all comes down to who can produce a MMoRPG that's as easy as possible nobody wins - no publisher who takes pride in their product, no designer/developers, and no gamers (as distinguished from those who play Angry Birds and /flex).
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Sorta like the foot shooting done theorized about Test guilds saying on the forums, "Come to test and raid current content for free!"? Or our friendly neighborhood Necromancer's not talking about fight club? ;)
  9. Chorus Augur

You're assuming that all of the data they collected internally would be directed to the investors when in reality there are multiple internal streams going on simultaneously due to this type of event. Often, just before an investor gets anything at all, senior management asks middle management to justify things like head counts and utilization and various project times, etc. The investor will likely never see those things, true, but when you go through enough of these, you always get that kind of 'justify yourself' mentality in operation. I've had to participate in this sort of thing nearly every year for the past 20 years in my professional life and its always about the spin.

In this case I agree, the spin wasn't directly for the investors but was indirectly because of them and how management tends to handle this sort of prospect. They knew they were angling for this well before the release of TDS, probably near a full year before and the rest is trickle down effects. This isn't a conspiracy theory, or even a theory, but a hypothesis generated by my own life experience with this sort of sequence of events having been on both sides of this type of deal multiple times. There's a whole lot of in between stream nonsense that goes on that makes bad decisions like this occur because someone in the middle somewhere thinks it makes "column w" look better in their own interpretation of the justification sequence.
  10. Cicelee Augur

I must say, one of the funniest lines in this entire thread was made by the player who was complaining about the lack of experience he received in RoF while working planar intelligence on his paladin.

El oh el.

Not everything in this game should give super awesome XP. When I do tradeskills, I am not concerned about XP. When I do hunter, I could care less about XP so I can improve AA that I never use (hello Steel Vengeance ranks 6-9). It is so easy to get XP, and yet so many people are angry about the acquisition.

It is just funny when you have players with 13,000 AA who are complaining about RoF experience. You have 13k AA already. Heroic charisma isn't going to help :)
  11. Piasa Journeyman

If that's the case, why does anyone care about the exp gain in ROF.

I would hope someone at Daybreak would care more about sales since that's the only thing that this change has done is lose them some sales. I don't think there would have been any "I am not buying TDS because the experience is just too good in RoF" posts.

And before someone says there is no proof it has lost them sales, I am the proof. A single sale is a loss in sales. I have not nor will I buy the expansion or any future ones while RoF exp nerf exists, plus if this is still in place when my subs come up for renewal, they will be cancelled.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Apparently one of SOE's problems was not going Free to Play soon enough.

http://fortune.com/2015/02/04/why-sony-sold-its-online-games-division/

And sucks to be me I have no interest in playing games on smart phones or tablets.. *sighs*
  13. Battleaxe Augur

Apparently SOE's problems were focusing almost exclusively on desktop apps and unlike WoW having to go FtP at all.

IMO if you put your game in the bargain bin people are going to conclude it's a bargain bin game. See "image pricing". There are in fact a lot of FtP (bargain bin) games out there. Sadly, unlike overly easy and rewarding content, it's a bell that can't be unrung once you ring it.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Glad I could amuse you but the reason I mentioned working on planar intelligence was to indicate that for myself I don't need the exp. Sorry it went over your head.

I still believe the nerf of exp in RoF was excessive and mention it for the benefit of OTHER players. :). It may be strange to actually be thinking of others so I can understand you missing that point :)
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm Everquest is a bargin bin game. Oh its a game I still love and enjoy but its 15 year old dude.

And as the article indicates wow has been the only one able to sustain a subscription model.

PLUS I still haven't heard that apology for putting words into my mouth that I never said :) I knew you would be unable to do it :)
  16. Casidia Augur

Good man, i hope this nonsense stops again at some point.
    I guess people enjoy terrible performance.
    + can't even go into a supermarket here without people feeling super important when they hold these in their hands, i guess talking on handies in the middle of a crowd of people isn't exciting enough anymore.

Free to play isn't a solution, people who are not willing to spend $12 / month on a game are gone again soon anyway. Plus it attracts all the gold sellers and plenty annoying stuff, at least in newer games. I would tread lightly what some sites recommend.
  17. Battleaxe Augur

“1. The same way you decide Daybreak is right about FtP and wrong about old content shouldn't be the best place to get exp.”

Please show me a quote where I stated that you said "old content should be the best place to exp." I stated that you decided Daybreak was "wrong about old content shouldn't be the best place to get exp." Do you have a quote or are you making an inference from what I actually said?

How could I reach the conclusion that you decided (not that you said) that Daybreak was wrong in making that determination and enforcing it?
    1. The nerf was not extreme. Experience for level 100 and below characters is just fine.

2. Are you suggesting you usually support "Playing in the newest content..." / " I had no intention of exping in old content" except when you don't "I did most of my exp and aa in cotf"?

3. Are you, contrary to my inference, contending that Daybreak was right and
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...ading-grinding-xp-in-the-darkened-sea.214449/
    "As we move into The Darkened Sea, we've made a few changes to ensure that adventuring in the newest content will be the best way to gain experience to advance their characters in both levels and AA points. Playing in the newest content should always be the most attractive, and demolishing content from several expansions ago should not be the fastest way to advance your character."

was the correct thing to enforce (despite doing your "exp and aa in cotf")? Good. I suggested that you too were a bit selective about when Daybreak was right and when it was wrong. The quotations from your keyboard indicates to me that I was correct in that assessment.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Right here Battle. Your number 1. At no point have I said I decided that old content should be the best place to exp.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL there was no nerf for level 100 or lower. The nerf in question was for level 101 and higher. Why are you being such a silly goose?
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yes you see "usually" means most often. Except for this last expansion I did all my exping aa and otherwise in the new content when it came out. That;s what USUALLY means. Look it up.

u·su·al·ly
    ˈyo͞oZH(əw)əlē/
    adverb
    adverb: usually
    1. under normal conditions; generally.
      "he usually arrives home about one o'clock"
      synonyms: normally, generally, habitually, customarily, routinely, typically, ordinarily, commonly, conventionally, traditionally;More
      as a rule, in general, more often than not, in the main, mainly, mostly, for the most part, nine times out of ten
      "he usually arrived home about one o'clock"