Shaman dots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hogwilld, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hogwilld Elder

Developers, pretty please look at the nerf dot. While it may have been a reasonable nerf and class balancing, the damage reduction should come with a mana cost reduction.

Thanks for your time.
  2. Azorin Journeyman

In a few years, when all the shaman are gone (like necros) they might address the issue with mana after this nerf fest.
  3. AnzoRagespirit Augur

Noone believed me when I said they would not lower the Mana cost cause they did not for other classes...told ya
  4. Millianna Augur

They aren’t going reduce the mana because DoTs can be stacked across multiple mobs.
  5. Jetslam Augur

So can everyone else's dots, and yet they're twice as mana efficient.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sazxus like this.
  6. Ninelder Augur

[IMG] Grip of Kraz Rk. III NEC/106 1: Increase Disease Counter by 20
    2: Decrease STR by 132 (L106) to 318 (L110)
    3: Decrease AC by 78 (L106) to 188 (L110)
    4: Decrease Hitpoints by 2298 per tick 1415 Alteration Single

Overwhelming Sunray Rk. III DRU/106 1: Empathy
    2: Decrease Hitpoints by 1992 per tick
    3: Decrease Fire Resist by 89
    10: Decrease AC by 39 16980 Evocation Single
  7. Ninelder Augur

Wouldn't let me edit, but to use words like twice or halved is preposterous 90pct reduction for a spell that already had to high a mana cost on a class known for having mana problems already.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

I have a hard time believing shammy's are struggling for mana.

I do agree the dot nerf should have included a cost reduction. But shammy's are just about the only class I can think of that never have mana issues.
  9. NeverPayForLag Augur

lol...
    my shammy struggles with mana except somebody heals him to the bone - if he casts his dots to the max. Now they do no damage anymore but make Druid and Shammy empty....

I assumed that devs are completely forgetting reduceing the mana cost - and for the guys who reason with dot stacking - hey, did I miss the last 10 years something - that was always the case - if not then dots are pretty useless... even a shammy or druid can nuke better
  10. Whulfgar Augur

Necros are a pure dps class. Shamans are not a pure dps class. Your primarily a healer (aka: priest) and as such the trade off for your class doing dps is the high payment of mana.

They clearly do not want a priest class to be as efficient as a pure dps class when it comes to being a healer dpsing.
  11. Ninelder Augur

That was a comparison between a debuff dot from a necro and the debuff dot of the druid class.
  12. Ninelder Augur

Efficient is not the word to use here. If they were less efficient then you would see 10-20pct damage reductions and 10-20pct increased mana costs. Instead you see 60-90pct damage reductions with 10-12 times the mana cost.

Imagine in you were a paladin and your heals healed 10pct of what a priest class healed but cost 12 times the mana cost?
  13. Whulfgar Augur

The mana reduction is EXACTLY...about efficiency of the dot power directly proportional to it's mana usage. That's why y'all are upset..
  14. Whulfgar Augur

And as I've seen personally it's not a 80 to 90% decrease of dot power. It's more in like 45 to 55% from what I've seen first hand.

Again current issues (from other players) view point is dots damage sucks .. and even casting them now the mana usage per dot is same as it was when y'all were dps gods..

Aka.. it very much so is all about dps efficiency wether ya wanna admit it or not.
  15. Shredd Augur

Raid level shaman should never Dot on raids. We are the ADPS of raids. The only time I ever load even nukes for raids is for the Vault ( thanks for breaking that raid DB) since Shaman ice nukes hit the main ooze so nice.
    As far as soloing, Yeah shaman dots are hit hard, so now I can't root /rot 5 at a time in skyfire. . only 2 to 3.
    Now this crap about mana and shaman, No shaman worth anything gives a damn about mana. We just have to many tools to replenish mana levels. The only thing that upsets me, is that rezz effects negates some of our tools.
  16. Horyuken Augur

Bingo! Shredd is spot on. I can finish most raids close to FM, if I don't die, you just have to may ways to replenish mana. It has been said, this only makes it so yo can't root dot 5-6 mobs at one time. The raid game is mostly unchanged, the lost dot damage is made up in seconds by melee classes.
  17. Millianna Augur

Great, so a group geared shaman is not “...worth anything..”
  18. Ninelder Augur

You can still buff people who will then run off and play the game with their healer merc!
    Theido likes this.
  19. Horyuken Augur

#Fakenews, This is not true, a sham is a great addition to any group. With RoS you have lots of options to advance your character, start with trade skills, get VP key, get the chase items, lots of fun stuff to do.
  20. Suffer Lorekeeper

This a very complicated issue that I personally see continued in various threads. It now rears it's head in the form of shaman/druid dots. There is next to nothing Daybreak can do to appease both player bases (casual vs hardcore).

If when you play EQ you raid, max trade skills, AA, and abilities. Also research class and game mechanics. Then roll that knowledge into hotkeys and parse yourself to truly maximize your character. You will dominate group content. This is unavoidable.

I find it discouraging to see people who more than likely do none of the above advocate making group content less difficult or in my opinion want the bar lowered. While this is a option.. It will only make the gap that much wider and more disparaging for the casual player.

So where is Suffer going with this?? Try this thought experiment...

Say Daybreak was to go the opposite way with this dot change and increase the dot damage by 45-55%. Now that casual player at lvl 110 in group gear with half of his or her available AA can roam around a group zone and completely dominate like a raid geared and maximized character. Casual players rejoice!!! Right until a group or 2 of raiders come in the zone to farm gear for alts now the gap is wider and the raiders dominate like never before.

My main point is this. To use the near famous Drogba swarm video as a example. If you tune content or class power to a lower common denominator casuals will be happy right until Drogba or an equivalent comes in and swarms 50+ mobs in front of you, then you get upset and scream balance.

I don't have any easy answers for this situation or future situations nor do i think Daybreak does. These are just observations i have made in my 16 years traveling thru Norrath.