PVP Progression server please

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tomcat, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Tomcat Journeyman

Anyone else miss good old pvp on EQ? The game is not nearly as interesting without being able to battle over a camp or dungeon.

I suppose if there was a PVP progression server it would have to have the rules of Zek rather than the old servers? What do you think?
    Eangel likes this.
  2. SomethingWitty Augur

Played on VZ from kunark - zek servers merger, would play on a TLP PvP server, though not if the server's community ended up like red99. So toxic!
  3. Batbener Augur

I don't think there would be enough of a population, but I don't think that's the main reason there isn't one. It's a 16 year old game with 16 year old code. On the progression servers, they are constantly nerfing, updating stuff that makes the game completely unbalanced. That problem multiplies exponentially on a PvP server.
  4. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Give us a TLP PvP server with Sullon Zek ruleset and I will be there with bells on, personally.

Plus, if they aren't going to enforce a PNP, then let us do it.
    Eangel likes this.
  5. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, who plays PVP in EverQuest expects imbalances. If you've never done it, it adds new twists on the game that make it unpredictable and skews the normal ways of doing things in really interesting ways.

Same argument could be made of PvE Everquest, at this point, really. In the grand scheme, there aren't all that many people playing this game in any form, in general, now.
  6. Tudadar Augur

This would fail. Most people pvp'ing just attack and run away over and over. People like to think of pvp like its a 1 vs 1 battle of the best but its not. People are scared of dying and will just attack and run over and over and over. People cant deal w/ corpse runs and u expect them to deal with little scrubs doing that tactic? lol
  7. Destroying Angel Lorekeeper

Please. Hopefully all the camp/kill stealing, training, "I can burn it faster bra so it's mine" thugs will flock there.
  8. Tudadar Augur

People used to ask for some areas to be marked PVP like raid zone areas aka fire giants / nag area but even then there are lots of rumors about zerg guilds atm ^_^ People would probably just attack and run on an even bigger scale if that was the case.
  9. Zert Journeyman

id jump right on a pvp TLP
  10. Hybrid Moments New Member

This would be amazing. The trolls would surge on this server
  11. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Some of us have played PvP before and know exactly what to expect. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for many people it's a fantastic alternative to blue EQ.
    Eangel likes this.
  12. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Evils have a tendency towards being pretty nasty in pvp, in general, in my experience. The classes they get are fantastic in PvP in the hands of skilled players and they get the best zones. They also tend to get the numbers.
  13. Denno Elder

Making a pvp server would be an interesting social experiment if the setup would be PVP vs Phinigel slow xp. In that case i think many would prefer pvp.
  14. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

This again?
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  15. Darktide Elder

If there are no teams, there are always 2 guilds that fight for dominance over main NPCs, with some smaller more skilled PvP guilds being able to snipe targets while holding their own against a zerg guild which contains mostly cannon fodder. When the zerg guilds do collide in PvP, it can be a huge fight with lots of whining from the losing side. Personality conflicts occur regularly, especially if one guild loses a raid target to another due to PvP, and players who are guildmates one day, decide to separate and take people with them to form a new guild and enact revenge on their former leadership. Spying is common.

PvP has always been known to be unbalanced and is accepted as such. EQ is a group based game, not single player.

A hard-coded team PvP TLP server would do wonders.

The PvP server should only persist up to a specific xpac
    snailish likes this.
  16. Tudadar Augur

Im sure u played it ten years ago before mass hacking. They couldnt even prevent it and make it fair on the discord server before GoD release at least 7-10 years ago.

There is a eq supported p99 red server available for u. Dont get your hopes up though it wont be what u expect.

The reality is the game has changed over the last 15 years. Whatever you expect to still be the case probably wont be anymore. All the non pvp players had to deal with it.
  17. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Who says I haven't played there?
  18. 1018_01 Elder

No Thank You
  19. Tudadar Augur

So successful right? If your playing there why would you need another? Hoping eq's huge progression server population fixes the failed concept? lol
  20. yerm Augur

When you look at PVE TLP servers you see an inordinately higher number of raiders and would-be top tier players than in the original game. The people who still play here are generally experienced and usually ambitious and as a result you have a lot more competition for end game content and a lot less interest in "enjoying" the process of leveling to get there. It's impossible to truly recreate an original feel because it's impossible to recreate the vibrant atmosphere of a healthy and growing game.

PVP is the same thing. It's impossible to just recreate the feel of an old school server now, because the masses are gone. Almost anyone who rolls on a PVP server is there to, you know, PVP. You just don't have an influx of basically PVE-oriented players who just want a PVP alternative or risk.

That doesn't mean you can't have the server and people who want to PVP can't enjoy it, mind you, just that the classic pre-velious pvp server feeling ship has long since sailed and won't be back.
    Rhiyannon likes this.