PVP Progression server please

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tomcat, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Rauven Augur

Think of this as a challenge and me not merely being cynical.

But I don't believe there's a enough interest. To even do that. Like I said before they merged the zek servers, allowed transfers to them, and even the community there will do a hands off to new players to get them to stay.

Still not quite enough to bring new blood to the ruleset. But like I said.. I might be proven wrong. And I'd be glad to be proven wrong in this case since I think there should be more PVP.
  2. Tomcat Journeyman

I do believe that the ghost town will get worse if you don't give people what they want. I am already considering canceling my account.
  3. Tomcat Journeyman

At the time I cannot seem to log into my regular TLP server. I only consider this server practice for when one PVP server might come out but it does not encourage me to maintain my subscription when this server is also at its maximum? why would people say that it hurts other servers when it is obvious that people are going to leave the other ones anyway?
  4. Grundged Lorekeeper

They should just get rid of pvp.

It's bad enough that they are breaking classes because of tlp issues. Last thing we need are devs screwing up classes even more trying to balance a pvp game that nobody plays.
  5. Kompakt New Member

+1 for a PvP TLP server!

"PvP Teams" pretty please :)
  6. snailish Augur

A "progressing to a lock" PVP can be successful without harming anything else. It's more likely to bring players back than steal current players permanently from elsewhere.

-it needs to go to a lock to keep the world large, travel not trivial, and content open world. To me this says Luclin.

-reserve all current Zek account character names on the new server, then extend all of the dormant accounts with Zek characters a free month access for the new PVP server launch to keep their names saved.

-post-Fansy Sullon Zek rules as the basis. Possibly tweak the teams to predict more balance in force size.

-high XP rate (it's a 60 capped server in this proposal) as it's not about the levelling.

-modify the ZEM in key contested areas to foster the conflict.

-add even 1 quest NPC based on player kills, and make the rewards fun/unique stuff. This could even just be out-of-era stuff (even from PoP). Make it XP giving (by /con) kills to encourage hunting/warring with others. Maybe make it "unique kills" to lessen self-boxing-kill-farming abuse.
  7. Rauven Augur

There's a few wannabe PVPers here.. and I want to ask, what the hell?

Sullon Zek rules? You're basically telling us you want to feel safer because 1/3 of the player base can't attack you.

Vallon and Tallon Zek rules? Even worse.. the different races grouped and guilded. Half the time when they fought it was scheduled skirmishes. You can do that on Phinigel right now with the Freeport Arena.

Here's the ruleset a new PVP server should have:

1. FFA PVP. Anyone can attack anyone.
    2. No level limit on who can attack who.
    3. Coin drops on corpse, whether it was from a player or mob kill.

Why FFA instead of teams? Because we don't need a damn computer telling us what team we're on. Let us make our own teams. Let your guild tag show what team you're on.

Why no level limit? Because this isn't a carebear server. When you make a new character and before you go off to kill some decaying skeleton.. you need to look for others for protection. Get grouped, and get guilded. You're entering the fight as soon as you create a character. Welcome to PVP.

Why should coin drop on corpses? Because death should sting. Another alternative is exp loss on PVP death. Maybe both. I'd reccommend exp loss on death if the exp rates are RF/LJ style. But not Phinny. Not opposed to Phinny's level and exp loss. But I'm already pushing the limits of what the people who call themselves PVPers are willing to take.

Would this be a ganker's paradise? Only if you let them. This ruleset is similar to Archegage. They had factions there, but you could freely attack your own faction. Ganking happened in the beginning but phased out because the real prize was higher level conflicts. And of course lowbies joined guilds and getting KOS'd by large guilds was not a good thing.

When an entire guild went KOS by another.. things got interesting. Fighting went down until one side submitted. They either lost members to the other guild because they got tired of being hunted down. Or paid reparations and extortion fees.

That's PVP. When players get to decide the fates of others through brute force, extortion, bribes, and diplomacy.

When a server war can erupt like World War I because of alliances, treaties and such get so complex that everyone is drawn in from one kill steal. That's PVP.
  8. Kobra Augur

It would be fun except it would be ruined by cheaters.

And if you think people won't cheat to win in pvp, you're naive.

GMs to police the server? LOOOOOOOL.
    Drexll likes this.
  9. Jaime Lannister Augur

Nah, Still prefer RZ's Rule set.

Level limit because it's coin + 1 item on death. Separates the men from the boys who are too afraid to wear any gear, run around naked and get rekt. An item stings, no one carries enough coin for it to matter unless you get unlucky.

Puts focus on PVP being used as a tool to self police/enforced server etiquette (which ends up being decided by the server via pvp domination, top guilds, etc).
    Drexll likes this.
  10. Ultrazen Augur

Unless they implemented another no box, or hard to box server, PvP would quickly devolve into who boxed the most wizards. No gear needed, one shot anyone, game over.

Time has moved on, the ability to box dozens of accounts on one computer is a game changer in an alpha strike world. I played EQ pvp at release, and it was a hoot. Fights could actually take some time, especially small group PvP, it was fantastic. Modern EQ pvp would be nothing but one shot kills from 20 of whatever class all being able to attack exactly at once.

If they made boxing impossible, I'd probably try it. EQ PvP was fun at one point. A TLP pvp server is actually a good idea, because EQ has some real scaling problems with player damage vs player hit points, that gets worse with each expansion, i.e. people die way too fast a few expansions in. The ratio of damage to hit points scales way out of whack, because the massive increase in MOB hit points in relation to player hit points is how they generally make things more difficult in PvE.

/shrug. Locked at Kunark PvP would be fun, with no boxing.
    Rhiyannon, Drexll and Caster like this.
  11. Caster Lorekeeper

The above is correct. A PvP server would have to be a no boxing server. With three guys currently controlling the 75+ character Who Da Boss guild on Ragefire, a PvP server would be pretty bad in that context.
  12. Rauven Augur

Restricted to stuff not in bags and stuff that isn't no-drop.

Nope. Not enough. Especially when you can use healers who are level 45 and untargetable by the 50s.
  13. Friday Augur

Not my cup of tea, but if there is a demand, let them have it. I would hope DB puts LJ and RF back together, to keep us from getting TOOO spread out before going and starting yet another tlp.

Also, folks need to keep in mind that not every variable in the rules set is ever going to cater to their individual tastes exactly. This is not burger king.
  14. Coach_Kegadin Augur

Anyone who thinks boxing is viable in PVP really has no clue what they are talking about. A small group of coordinate players could wreck any box crew.

Classes don't need to be balanced. Yes there are classes that are better than others at PVP, and you will see more of those on a PVP server, but all classes are needed for PVE continent. Let's face it, EQ PVP really is just a means to own EQ PVE.

Many of the problem players (myself included) would leave for a PVP server instantly and you could live grief-free with your instanced content.

PVP server really is just win/win all around.

Really the only problem I foresee is hacking. Players can police their own server if they want to, outside of banning players that use 3rd party programs.
  15. Agrippa Augur

I'd love Zek's original item loss penalty, but only if they got rid of all no trade tags. That penalty only lasted a short time, before everyone cheesed out and had full no trade gear.
  16. Tomcat Journeyman

I wouldn't really worry about cheaters either because the community can phase them out and make their exploits known pretty easily. It gets really hard for anyone once they get known for something bad throughout Norath.
  17. Kragin Augur

A pvp server is a good idea, an even better idea is to have a server that starts in tbs-sod & unlocks content as beaten like combine?

Anyway a year of classic/kunark is really grinding my gears.
  18. yerm Augur

I get all the arguments for FFA rather than team pvp. I sort of agree in the theoretical, but I disagree strongly in practice.

The idea that eq pvp now would just be a sort of hardcore normal eq environment is wrong. A pvp tlp server simply would not be there for people who want tlp with a bit of added challenge or accountability, the way really most approached eq pvp originally. Today, this would attract ACTUAL pvpers, looking for a fight, as the by and large majority. They aren't pvping to pve, they are pveing to pvp. That difference is incredibly important. This would be coupled with an expectation (only my opinion now) that the server would not see an influx stream of new blood. If a guild manages to crush all comers and dominate... I suspect that's it unless they themselves choose to break ranks for challenge sake.

The reason I advocate for a hard-locked team server (SZ) rather than soft teams (TZ/VZ) or FFA (RZ) is that it creates an actual dynamic that can be worked with in the now, rather than trying to dredge up a reality that no longer exists. If it were 1999 again I wouldn't want to play on a locked team server, and if I could go back in time I'd probably have enjoyed RZ more than going TZ when I started EQ. It's not 1999. That ship has sailed and isn't coming back. The king of vibrant guild diplomacy dynamics that defined RZ aren't feasible. I would rather just cut the loss and go for something with potential, and a hard locked team server provides something to play towards. I want 3 or more teams. I want elements of zone control, forced companionship with outsiders, and a more long lasting and widespread element of competition. I also want DBG to be able to "balance" without even touching classes or doing real work - the least populated team can get xp bonuses and BS like that and they can go back to whatever they really want to be doing instead.
    Eangel likes this.
  19. Sophism Lorekeeper

I feel like the only / best way that a "team" pvp can be done is along the lines of how DAoC did it with realms and a mirroring of the abilities, while allowing a bit of wiggle room to setup groups. Other than that, Shadowbane was pvp greatness.
  20. Eangel Elder

Like the idea of teams, but if class restriction was included per team, that might be tough. On SZ, the good team had it pretty rough. Having a FFA environment with item loot propagates a level of lameness and class preference. At that point, it makes sense to have a class not reliant on gear until no drop gear is acquired and IMO that takes away from EQ pvp to a point. Teams (or group/guild/fellowship PVP immunity) have also been proven to be a successful formula for pvp(See MOBA models and current FPS games).