Progression Server Poll Results: What's Next?

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tudadar Augur

These are good points. Vulak opening later really screwed over the population. Dont open one randomly several hours later because people werent prepared for the overpopulation. Announce it beforehand and open at the same time. Letting people log in early to make names could get more subs and help show some of the demand.
    Zoggzog, Mezrah and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  2. Legand New Member

Maximum Nostalgia with the 6 months per expansion start looks best to me. I would suggest unlocking new expansions based on the time alone. Drop the server-wide voting all together.
  3. 11bangbang New Member

i think a server that didnt go past planes of power would be awesome. i dont see any point in making another progression server just so it can suck later on. i thought the point was to get rid of the garbage that eq has turned into. why make a new server just so it can eventually go back to what it is now? the new server should have it set so there can be no boxing accounts, and please NEVER bring mercenaries on the new progression server. as far as the time for expansion releases, the slower the better.
    Zoggzog and Arkk like this.
  4. Nailuj New Member

Id vote for slowest progression , voting on unlocks , and server name Phara' Da
  5. yukan Augur

I agree with all points, and would add that the number of servers opening would be another question.

If there is 1 server, no instances, then I would be inclined to vote for the slowest server options available. If there is 1 server with instances on select raid mobs, I would be inclined to vote on I would be inclined to vote for a faster option. If there is more than 1 server, I'm not quite sure.

I still feel like the initial appeal for a new TLP server will be substantially larger than a single server can handle, and that the initial massive turnout will turn a lot of people away from the game. If there are no instances and only 1 server, expect a substantial decline in population after the first month. There will also be FAR too many competitive raid guilds than a single server can handle and the results will drive those who desire a more relaxed pace away. If you don't consider these issues now, it will be too late come the server start.

Regardless though, I think no voting should be allowed. All it did on Fippy was get people mad if the vote they wanted failed. Fippy's population over time grew horribly low and that was due to many, many factors. As silly of a reason as it may be, people quit in masses when the GoD vote did not pass. If people want longer servers, let them decide as they are right now through voting.

And to Daybreak, thank you for taking the time to promptly respond with the poll results. People are excited about the possibility of a new server and any little bit of information regarding what it will be like to relive the EQ experience and connecting with old friends helps build the excitement.
    Mezrah and Crayon123 like this.
  6. ClericCleric New Member

I'm sure at least 90% of the people don't even play on the current progression server that voted, and have no idea what it is like to sit here and wait and wait for an expansion to come out. Especially some of the garbage expansions that came out in between good ones. As it is now the raiding scene in EQ TLP has a high turnover every time an expansion is beat. Good luck on having this server crash and burn more then vulak did.
  7. Alaklin Journeyman

Slowest progression, no votes (this cause so much bad blood in the early months of the current progression server, and votes were highly skewed due to those who play 3 or more accounts).

But can we vote on what you will offer in terms of mechanics, old exp rate, old hp/mana regen rate, spell levels, hell levels, tools, menus, UI, original zones, graphics, no marketplace items, etc?

If it's the current game locked in old content, we are still missing the mark in terms of the real purpose of the server and what people have been requesting for over a decade. Slower versions of the same kind of progression servers is not a true compromise. The first round of progression promoted racing and exploiting what was forgotten about in the development. The second round was equivalent to the demands of being in an end game guild. Both had zones available before they should have been (Jaggedpine Forest which wasn't added in until well into Luclin's release, and the revamped Paw filled with elementals who dropped early hotzone loot, for example). These not only hurt that nostalgia, but created imbalance in the gameplay.

The closer you are to classic, the more people will come back, and the longer they will stick around.
    Isaris, glute and Arkk like this.
  8. Shauku New Member

I would like the 50% option but I also think some of the timers should be altered. Kunark has little raid content while Velious has much more. I would rather see longer timers for Velious/Luclin/PoP and a little shorter one for Kunark/Classic. I also think something really has to be done to address the raiding scene on these servers. It is not really a whole lot of fun for anyone involved when players have to sit at their computers for long hours to fight a Dragon that dies inside of 20 seconds.

Also, are any balance changes going to be addressed on these servers? Last time, many changes to the games affected how things played out; pets did way too much damage, newer monk hand to hand damage tables were in. What it resulted in was an extremely trivial experience with the old raid and group content. My necromancer could solo in Fear at level 50 and it was dangerous but not that difficult (some of that had to do with not having to actually CR myself). A group could kill much more in the classic/kunark dungeons without much trouble due to players being relatively overpowered.

My point here is maybe the developers could look into the aforementioned use of instancing as well as honestly just buffing some of these encounters/mobs to be more traditional in their difficulty. If skills are in the game like they were last time around raiding is going to consist of sitting around during a spawn window to see which guild gets to splatter the dragon.
    Arkk, Crayon123 and Alaklin like this.
  9. Alaklin Journeyman

I stuck around as long as I could, but watching only the top 3-4 guilds even get to raid the planes, then the dragons and epics, almost no faction switching in Velious, and no time access/sharing in Luclin made it so much worse than actually playing the game slowly and caring about questing, relationships, reputation, and, gods forbid, playing an alt. Give me a server to hang out on without the pressure to raid five days or more a week any day. Almost all of us have characters on other servers anyway. I'd like the vacation.
    Zoggzog, Arkk and Frenzic like this.
  10. Zesta Journeyman

how about a Blue and Red server or a normal rule set progression and a Roleplay rule set servers
  11. Arkk Lorekeeper

Excited that this is another step in the right direction, though weary because we are still not where most of those who begged for this wanted to be--which is close to the original game play--not just a variation of starting a new character. I don't want this to be a band-aid for the unrest of those wanting anything close to classic. All we will get is a novelty that will falter in perhaps 2 years instead of 6 months.

If we have slower locks, why not slower exp, slower resting regen, and make everyone default start with the old UI, spell graphics, gems, and character models. We will be properly proud of our characters again, and levelling will be an achievement that takes weeks sometimes, instead of an expectation to max out quickly and complain about the wait.

Take out Marketplace purchases--exp potions and custom mounts were a terrible addition to the last round of progression. And please give us back Oasis, North Freeport, East/west Commonlands, Innothule, Kithicor, Rivervale, Highpass Hold, and, most importantly, the real Nektulos Forest where so many memories died and reside. I know those files are out there somewhere!
    Isaris and Zoggzog like this.
  12. Arkk Lorekeeper

Maybe a red roleplay server where you can't have more than 1 character on an account? Though the nodrop items should not be lootable by pk.
  13. Arkk Lorekeeper

I'm sure you are underestimating that 90%, since only like 2% play mains on the current progression. More than half of who are left still play and raid on their original servers. Additionally, though I'm sure most will join the new progression because I did both times and will again for this round, why does it matter that they vote anyhow if they are happy in their current format?
  14. Circadian72 Kabuki - Agnarr

Ya GOTTA go to LoY! I need gear dye. Must look fashionable at all times. ;)
    Erydan Ouragan likes this.
  15. Arderd and Crowd Augur

Slowest for me, too. I'd personally prefer EVEN slower, 70/80% - but it would need to be real classic, with old exp, damage and all that as they were before.
    Voting no.
    I do think that combining Yak and LDON would be good (but give time to play LDON), and maybe one or two others might be good.

I can't describe how bad combining PoP with anything is as an idea tho.
    Arkk likes this.
  16. Arderd and Crowd Augur

Wait, so they are talking about having new versions of zones, and buyable exp potions? What's the point in classic progression if there's nothing actually classic about it.
    Isaris, Zoggzog and Arkk like this.
  17. Arkk Lorekeeper

That happened anyway the first time through, and again on both progression rounds.
    I think it could, in contrast, build a population of people who just care to play their characters, quest, tradeskill, help others, etc. Those who will leave are the ones who are impatient, and they will return when the next expansion opens. More time in the game that forced communication and cooperation is not the reason why people leave. They leave when the speed of the unlocking to cater to those bored folks in upper level guilds locked them out of end-expansion content and left them behind.
  18. Arkk Lorekeeper

It will be ironic, since they probably won't give us Oasis.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  19. Maginus Lorekeeper

To me this sounds like the last progression server I took part in and everyone I knew hated how fast things opened. Also why is it you keep doing the same kind of progression server? This is by no means the first time you've done this. When will the rest of us who want a locked game at or just before PoP gonna have their turn?

I vote no unlock till 75% of the server agree's
    Zoggzog likes this.
  20. Maginus Lorekeeper

Then they can jump on the live server and kill their time there till it is time
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.