Please don't multi-box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by tzeriel, May 7, 2015.

1. Hendar2 Augur

Nothing? How about whether the server exists at all. Generate too little money, and it isn't economical to run.
  2. MBear Augur

Have you seen TLP 2.0 lately?
  3. Fallfyres Augur

---------------------
    I don't tend to believe that will happen.

But if it does: then it was a great idea that turned out to not be as profitable as was the goal of the company running it. Not a failure but rather the cost of a trying that particular venture, which will be offset by some other product or venture of said company.
  4. Santified Lorekeeper

You guys want maximum nostalgia. This includes multi boxing. Make up your mind.
  5. Lejaun Augur

Not really. Most computers and the internet connected to them (dial up) handled multi-boxing very poorly. It took a couple years to really catch on. The first year was very limited in how many people boxed.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  6. Bela New Member

I'm playing the game myself to have fun and social experience. I don't mind if I don't have the best gear or level fastest. I do mind if the server will be just full of boxers and that will leave the social aspect out of the game for me also. I feel like I would have much more fun experience in a group trying to achieve something together rather than trying to control alot of characters at the same time. I would consider it extremely boring to control 6 mages or 6 of any same class.

Boxing can become a problem when they camp something for a long time and deny content from other players. In extreme cases if GMs are willing to help in such situations, perhaps they can be contacted to negotiate. At least such boxers who block content from others like that would probably get rather bad reputation among other people. Boxers have advantage when it comes to their ability to get new better equipment, but I would never exchange having friends in game and having social experience to having just better equipment for my characters. Having less than optimal equipment doesn't bother me as long as it won't go that far that people don't want me to join them because of that.

Boxing itself isn't the problem, but it can become a problem if there is too much of it and if it goes to extremes and prevents anyone who enjoys other types of playstyles from having fun while playing.
  7. Lilrod Journeyman

HAHA you think boxing is bad & your on beta lol! Just wait for TLP to launch & then break out your tissues cause most arent even playing beta. Boxing wouldnt be so bad if DB took a stand against program that 99.9 of these boxers use. But when tlp launches using 6 boxing will triple whats on beta. & if you dont know what does it basically turns your alts into super smart mercs that can auto atk,cast spells,auto loot & who needs a tracker when they have show eq which is a separate program from that shows you everything in zone & is color coordinated. Just like the previous tlp's AFK plat farming,expn,raid target killing losers are just waiting for launch.
  8. daffie999 Augur

Might as well share this here. I worked at my colleges computer support desk at the time. Group of 6 friends always had our characters logged in, there or not. someone was playing always 1, 2... Or all 6 by themselves. This pre-kunark and easily *some* of the most fun I had playing EQ...
  9. Behee Augur

My wife and I each 4 boxed, so had 8 characters we played. We even ran them via dial up for a while because the dsl failed. I boxed since early in classic EQ. Boxing is absolutely nostalgia for me.
  10. Behee Augur

Yes, it does. You are comparing 3000 accounts to 5000 accounts to say the lower number has less economic impact. It's a failed concept. Compare 3000 real life people with 3000 accounts of people and boxes, and the boxed ones will have less economic impact in the game.

You are artificially increasing the account numbers, and assigning your own outcome. You might as well say that 12 real people have less impact than 6000 real people, which is also true. Hence, why your argument is fundamentally flawed.
  11. Lejaun Augur

You were a very, very small part of the population. It was almost unheard of for anyone to box multiple characters.
  12. Behee Augur

Ahhhh, nope. There were plenty of others.
  13. Lejaun Augur

Sure there were, sure there were. Boxing was the thing to do back in 1999 because of the high speed internet the majority used and the super RAM we had available.

Be realistic. People were running things like Pentium 2's with 64-128MB RAM and 32mb video cards. So strange that out of the hundreds and hundreds of people that I met then, none of them boxed.

People may have boxed, but it was far from being normal back then. Move towards Kunark and the Velious time frame, now you can start talking about people boxing much more commonly. Original EQ? Sorry, that's just a flat out lie. Very few people were capable of doing it then, let alone actually doing it. If you or your friends were doing it, good for you. The vast majority was not, however, in 1999.
  14. markkk Lorekeeper

I logged into beta last night made a warrior and sent out lfg in ooc no one invited me to group,i got on my lvl 3 mage on the same account ooc lfg in quenous ,in hills and bb no one invited me,so i am going to box 6 accounts ,hopefully do all my pre epic stuff until i can do my epic 1.0 i will be raiding with my warrior and maybe box a cleric if needed,i am on these server until raiding dies.
  15. Lejaun Augur

By the way, just for reference, there were only about 2.8 million people who had internet over 200 kbs by the end of 1999, and a good chunk of those were for businesses. The vast majority were on dial-up 56k.
  16. Mercanyin Augur

I used to play on my Compac Presario on minimum game settings. No chance of boxing on that machine.

On another note, man... I have not read a book in years. I'll check that off my list tonight. lol
  17. Lejaun Augur

One thing for certain, I would guess quite a few of us upgraded computers primarily for the reason to play Everquest at a higher level of speed with less lag.
    Mercanyin likes this.
  18. Mercanyin Augur

I have a very poor memory, but I believe I had enough funds November of 04 to construct my first home assembled PC. My pride was a pair of WD Raptor 10k 74GB Hard Drives, 2nd Generation raptor drive I believe. I also had a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS. Motherboard was an Asus K8N-E (non deluxe version) with AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 754 socket which i remember as being "the sheet".

I am still running on those two WD hard drives.