Is PoWar worth it?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zantor, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Riou EQResource

Hehe, it has something to counter everyone! :p
    Sinestra likes this.
  2. The real Sandaormo Augur

Quote "This isnt a raid gear zone, its an anti-boxer zone."
    fransisco

I'm glad to hear someone say this.
    My normal box crew is War (my main), Monk, Bard + 2 caster damage mercs and a Healer merc. for nameds I will swap in an extra healer.

I 99% of the time blow though all content with few exceptions but I got my crew over to Plane of War and did not do that great lol. I have not really died in normal situations boxing in a long time. Exceptions being the Neriak 2 group missions seemed to baffle mercs and I died repeatedly trying to get past the first part.When I got into Plane of War I pulled some random goblin and it seemed not too bad, lotta hp's but ok. I pulled a Daiku and died in 5 seconds. Figured mercs spazzed so I changed all 3 mercs to healers and died again in 10 seconds

I gotta find some friends I guess. lol

This is not me complaining, just stating my experience with the new zone. This is the first time in a long time I have been "forced" to find groups. Not a bad thing I guess =)
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  3. Kobrah Augur

I am curious as to why there is always some kind of argument on the level of difficulty of zones. Why when a zone is "difficult" or has mechanics that lead away from conventional way people play, do people play the "this zone is tuned to raid gear" card. I do not think this zone is tuned towards being raid geared, but things that used to matter against npcs matter again. Things like crippling, slowing, resist debuffing, stunning, and buff removal. Its not a pet fest + merc healer zone. If you cannot do these things, you will get eaten alive. I personally am excited about this zone and the encounters it has to offer. I have no knowledge from test about what the named mobs can do so finding out will be fun. My friends and I finally have our bow staffs from earth after 2 days of non stop camping, and can finally start exploring. My experience so far is that a merc could not heal me against trash mobs that were slowed and debuffed which is just in the first entry field.

I 3 box beastlord (main) bard and cleric. I did some killing with no mercs and my cleric was able to heal np against trash as merc was not. The trash rampaging btw, awesome idea. Really makes the merc go nuts lol.

Overall though of what I have seen, I am looking forward to playing and grouping to tackle these named. As far as this being a "raid geared" focused zone, I do not think that is the case.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  4. Axxius Augur

Sometimes they say "raid gear", sometimes just "raiders" - which is closer to the truth. And the truth is: it's not about the gear, it's about the skill. What these people are usually trying to avoid bringing up is that raiders are better players on average (yes, I said that; I am an elitist pig!). So when they say that the difficulty is tuned "for raid gear", they really mean that it's tuned "for raider skill level". In fact, they won't have this "gear" excuse anymore soon. Raid gear already had only about 20% better stats than group. And now real raid quality gear is entering the group game too. Soon enough they will switch to just saying "tuned for raiders" without mentioning the gear. But the translation to the reality won't change: it's tuned for good players.
    Elricvonclief and Fenthen like this.
  5. Ravengloome Augur

DING DING DING we have a winner.

Gear doesn't Play EQ! IMAGINE THAT!

I've been having a ball in PoWar with my fellowship... Granted we have died inumerable times, but we went in thinking that would be the case. We are all group geared, but have managed to down a couple of the "army to defeat" mobs. Granted it was a bit sharper learning curve then we expected, but meh it brought back the feel of the old days.

For that I am eternally grateful for Devs.
  6. Nightops Augur

Would like to see some random rare item drops from the zone trash.

Maybe extend the CoTF rares into PoW or add in a new Power Source like the Xorbb Caged Hatred.
  7. Edrick Augur

There are random rare item drops from zone trash.
  8. Falos Augur

Kelefane likes this.
  9. Fendy Augur

PoW is free. So I'd say it's worth it even at twice the price.
  10. Ravengloome Augur

11. SaderakhBertox Augur

So far, pet tank groups have been successful in PoWar. It works like this. Those types of groups kill trash, spawn the Judicator, and then seek help from another group, and they work together to kill it, and share the spoils. The groups that do this have come to the realization that the Judicator spawns quite often.

Furthermore, it does you absolutely no good to be keyed for both castles all by your lonesome.

Since release, I've killed Judicator about a dozen times, am keyed for both castles, and continue killing or help kill Judicator because I can do jack in either castle by myself. (I've edited my maps and done some faction turn-ins, scouted areas etc)

As far as trash and Judicator, for a time I was grouped with a completely group geared Shadowknight who had no trouble tanking. The zerker mobs are pretty tough though, so I'd keep an eye on them. They have some unique buffs and AE to be ready for. There's certain player actions that really upset the Judicator also, like Deflection, but it's not necessary anyway.
    Kreacher likes this.
  12. MiataDriver Augur

I started the quest, got to plane of earth to work on the bowstaff and realized that ain't happenning anytime soon with all the spawn spots permacamped. Seriously stupidest progression I can recall ever in EQ, and that's saying something.
  13. Wolvie911 New Member

It really blows about the staff, Sony should have thought it thru more. Made it no trade or lore. It's perm camped now. 6 spawn points and 30+ in zone.
  14. MiataDriver Augur

I do expect plat farmers to be very happy...
  15. Garshok Augur

One seller this morning with 8 staffs at 1 mil each; one bow available, similarly priced.

Yes, I think they are very happy indeed.
  16. Vlerg Augur

That name who DT upon quiet miracle is up on Vox server.

Very fun... the DT isn't his only mechanic either, his health also lock for some reasons we arn't sure of.

Some other name ( rolfron zek, the Barb) are much easier and simple to do tho.
  17. Nocomplaints Elder

Something I haven't seen mentioned here. Oh just let everyone in, we'll How many of yall played when Pop was current?

There was a couple "open zones" and then even areas in open zones that were locked behind quests.

If you just open the whole place up then it doesn't fit into the lore of the era it was designed. It's not a new zone you seen those graphics?

During PoP raiders worked hard to get into the elemental planes and had stuff the average person didn't see. It was their reward for working hard. Yet as a raider at that time who cleared time when it was current guess what my guildies and I still spent a lot of time in other zones like Bot or the factory in PoI.

People life isn't fair the game isn't fair but you aren't trapped from seeing the end of Powar YOU MIGHT JUST NOT SEE IT IN ONE WEEK!

The anniversary missions/raids don't need bow staff to get into or all the progression. So you can still get those done this year. The zone is in the game for good. Take time get keyed and then there is this great tool a raid window you can fit up to 72 ppl in it. /generalchat_01 putting raid together to kill in powar need xyz to join since there is no in into the zone (oh ya like early PoP)
  18. Crystilla Augur

Side note - having everyone in PoW/PoE meant I finally got that blasted steam capacitor I've been after for years for the 12th anniversary mission :)

I played pre, during and post PoP being current. Before there were alternative keying strategies like the amulets in Plane of Storms, etc.

I'm also letting things die down a bit before I start worrying about getting that item in PoE.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  19. Nocomplaints Elder

Amulet quest was only way to get into Bot using mini raids to kill the giants.

Later on I think they added an alternate way but that was like a year later.
  20. Zantor Augur

I don't think most mind it being flagging to get to various parts of the zone, its mainly the Stonewood bow that is aggrivating so many people on that, hope SoE ups the drop rate on them soon. I probably will eventually get the Bow and Diamond but after I get 2 augs out of there, probably won't spend much time in there after that.