In-Game Progression Server poll (Feb 2015)

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Feb 25, 2015.

1. howaida1979 New Member

Why not make it a vote based off %. Once 75% of the SERVERS Population - not EQs population votes for it in game and confirms they positively want to progress then and only then it will progress. That wouldn't be hard at all to code.
  2. Indigo Augur

Pay attention. Voting almost killed Fippy by blocking GoD and that was only 51%. People use multiple accounts, etc and then maliciously manipulate the vote. A no voting server is a must to stop this, although I seriously doubt it would happen again. People realized blocking new content was detrimental to the server. But then, there is always those type people around.
  3. beyrak Augur

Just a thought. But people who do not want to progress on a progression server, maybe realize a TLP isn't for you and STAY ON LIVE. We aren't discussing a Stagnant Server.

As for me, I'm ready for raid call texts at any time of day and poop socking for hours. Cannot wait!
    Lisandra likes this.
  4. Beebles New Member

Daybreak, thank you for revisiting the idea of another progression server.

I, for one, greatly appreciate your dedication to your users; especially in such an overwhelmingly turbulent time. Company merges, buyouts, and acquisitions, can be some of the most frenetic circumstances human beings find themselves in.

May your days be fruitful, and your nights be filled with song.
  5. Vaclav Augur

As a regular thing it wasn't - even the busiest servers like Solusek Ro only had a few cases that such occurred until Luclin (the expansion before they started to work on instancing to reduce the drama)
  6. Pharaz New Member

• Server starts with only the original EverQuest through Luclin zones active. Players start at level 1.
    • All race & class combinations will be made available. Races without access to their homeland may choose an existing one. They may change this when their homeland becomes available.
    • Trade skills will be as they are currently in the existing servers interface-wise.
    • After 1 year the next expansion automatically unlocks. Players starting 2 weeks before new expansion unlocks through 2 weeks after new expansion unlocks will vote for 3, 4, or 6 months till next expansion unlocks.
    • This progression continues until the server catches up with live servers.
    This is along the lines I would like to see.
  7. Beggly Augur

I like the last option, Seasonal sounds like fun, though what we will do with all the extra characters is something that comes to mind. Would they be stuck there, or would you allow transfers to other servers?

I also like the idea of starting off with classic + Velious + Kunark. I find the classic server only to be a little tedious. Starting with all three of the first expansions would open options that I find particularly fun, like playing Iksars and wandering around in Kunark.

Personally, I would be happy with a style of progression that didn't involve any voting, but instead let Devs determine if the time is right for new content based on accomplishments.

One thing? Would the tutorial be available from the beginning? That alone gives people a huge upsurge in power level. Delaying it as long as possible is a good thing. I seem to remember that Fippy and Vulak delayed the tutorial until fairly late. Lets keep it that way.

LOL. I just checked my profile. It lies! I've been around since 2000-2001, and in the past had posted a few hundred messages. This profile only lists since I joined Fippy after being absent for a while due to having surgery to remove my cancer. Still cancer free, still enjoy EQ, and I hope to continue enjoying it for the rest of my much extended life!
  8. Giappo Augur

Beggly, grats on staying cancer free! Good luck in the future.
  9. Giberishpilz New Member

Can there be an option where multi boxing isnt allowed? I have multi boxed and i get why its cool. But, i also think that it lets people rely to heavily on themselves. Really takes away from the community in my opinion. Not only that but its really annoying to do at times.
    I understand that it is kinda needed because of the lack of players, but couldnt we explore bringing in new people to the game. For example bring in an achievement system that would track your noteworthy kills and this could in turn be used to unlock cosmetics/ titles/ mounts/ etc in EQN
    Cant we bring this back to the fun social game it was before (I REALLY JUST WANNA PLAY GEMS WHILE OTHERS GET ME EXP) is that too much to ask for
    oh and drop the sub fee and use this as free advertising for EQN (assuming the games are still under the same company, havent kept up too much with SOE being bought
    Zoggzog likes this.
  10. Drathus Augur

Please consider adjusting the spawn rate of the bosses (Dragons and Gods) and mini-bosses (Phinigel, Hate, and Fear minis) in classic EQ.

Normally they spawn on a 72 +/- hour cycle (3 days), except Phinigel that spawns on a 12 to 14 hour cycle and drops epic quest items. There are very few raid targets in original EQ and this would increase the fun factor for the server.

I like the competition / racing for raid targets, however, once several guilds are established, it starts to destroy the game. For example, once raid target rotations were enforced on Fippy, guilds had to wait over two weeks for their shot at the boss. This wait is simply too long when the expansion is only going to be current (latest expansion) for a short period of time.

If each guild can only kill the raid target 4 or 5 times before the next expansion release, very few people ever really stand a chance of getting the items they desire.

By making the raid targets spawn more quickly, you increase the enjoyment of the server overall and allow more guilds access to these encounters.

To keep the rate that raid loot entered the game constant with the 1999 game release, just decrease respawn timers by four (3 month cycle vs 1 year release cycle).

For example, Nagafen will now spawn every 18 +/- hours. Over time, he will spawn at different times of the day. Guilds can still compete for the raid target, but if a rotation is ever enforced again, guilds will only have to wait a few days, rather than weeks.

Sol B:
    Lord Nagafen - 18 hours

Permafrost Keep:
    Lady Vox - 18 hours

Kedge Keep:
    Phinigel Autropos - 3 hours

Plane of Hate:
    Innoruuk - 18 hours
    The Hand of Maestro - ?
    Maestro of Rancor - ?
    Hate Minis - Master of Spite, Mistress of Scorn, Magi P`Tasa, Coercer T`Vala, Lord of Ire, Avatar of Abhorrence, Grandmaster R`Tal, Lord of Loathing, High Priest M`Kari. (There are nine PH in hate that randomly spawn any of the above minis every 3 days +/- a few hours). Change these to 18 hours also +/-. The other minis such as Master of Vengence, corruptor of life, etc. spawn in the later version of Hate.

* Also the base pop of Plane of hate is on a 16 hour (believe this is correct) repop. You may want to consider reducing this to 4 hours.

Plane of Fear:
    Cazic Thule - 18 hours
    Dracoliche - 18 hours
    Fear Minis - Fright, Dread, Fear. 4 to 18 hours.

* change the base pop of Fear to 4 hours.

* move some of the Epic drop components from CT to the minis - such as the Warrior and SK required drops - Blood Fre and Soul Leach. This was a massive problem on Fippy ans the soul leach was a very rare drop only from CT - not sure if this was changed?

Plane of Sky:

Respawn of Islands should be changed to 6 hours or so.

These changes would greatly increase the desirability to raid on the progression server. Competition would still exist, but there would always be multiple targets to raid each day. If a particular target became constantly contested and a rotation was imposed, guild would have have to wait a couple of days rather than a couple of weeks for a shot at the boss.

I have heard requests for instancing and things like raid flags or raid coins etc. These changes would fundamentally change what EQ originally was. Not to mention, the changes would require code changes and are not likely to happen anyway. Altering the spawn timers is relatively simple. It is also something you might consider pushing to the live servers. There are very few people in the original EQ expansion on live servers - just those looking for epic drops or goofing around for the fun of it.
    Glace, Rojas, Lisandra and 1 other person like this.
  11. Indigo Augur

Look at this thread's response. Show's the community has been starving for a new TLP.
    Zoggzog and Xanadas like this.
  12. Hendar Augur

People are not going to agree on when the server should advance. This is OK, but let's acknowledge it. Some will want it to unlock on a fixed time, some want votes. Some want fast, some want slow. Tiered is the way to fairly address this.
  13. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

As i was discussing with someone yesterday, the main issue with a new TLP server is deciding who you are making it for. Do you make a new server for those players who want to race to be first, who want to beat content as fast as they can, then move on to more content? Or do you make it for those players that seek to experience a bit of what it was in the older days, for those that enjoy the trip more than the destination?

Why do i say "or"? Because you won't make both groups happy, regardless of what you do.

Contrary to what seems the popular opinion on this thread, the fabled "No vote to GoD" wasn't due to petty people trying to ruin the fun for the progression-enthusiasts, but instead was due to a genuine desire to keep playing on content they still had not been able to fully enjoy. You can make arguments about how they could still play in PoP when Gates unlocked, but the same argument could be used for having both groups of people play on live servers instead. It's just not the same feeling.

Gates of Discord, is a problematic expansion for several reasons. The faulty launch left a lot of people with a bad taste in mouth. The misunderstood lore made a lot of people just not care about the stuff happening on it. But above all, the difficulty spike of the expansion when compared to PoP meant that raid geared people could keep moving on just fine, while group geared players had to stick to the first few zones at best. It was an expansion casual players could not experience (and thus not enjoy) unless they joined a large guild. All of this was what made people vote NO to GoD, it wasn't guild_A progressing too fast, or guild_B threatening to kill every raid target until people voted YES, or guild_C dropping from a raid kill rotation.

I think, like someone mentioned earlier, the best option would be to make two servers with different rulesets.
    • A time locked progression server with no vote, and with a 2 months lock per expansion (maybe reducing the time to 1 month for expansions that take time to be beaten). You could maybe add a vote for insta-unlock after beating the expansion i guess.
    • Another time locked server, vote enabled, 4-6 months lock per expansion, possibly stopping progression at PoP/LDoN/LoY era (a la EQMac).
    Zoggzog likes this.
  14. beyrak Augur

Absolutely and completely false! Wish I had the saved chat from general during those days. It was a malicious, designed and orchestrated temper tantrum towards the top guilds when these same guilds had nothing to do any longer.

Regardless, the motive, it almost killed the server and did cause it to lose many, many players which only a fraction returned. Which makes the point a stagnant server that is stuck at a certain xpac will die.
  15. Giberishpilz New Member

All games have problems determining how long content should last not just progression servers. You are gonna have your hardcore players (the ones that want server firsts and 4 raid nights a week), your carebears (people who play specifically for relaxation and giggles), and then everyone in the middle. The tough part is your hardcore players are the ones that are gonna be the ones wow hit content walls, which means they are the ones getting mad its not moving along fast enough. Then you throw that onto of the fact that you can multibox which in a game like eq would set you way ahead of anyone choosing not to. You could get a group of 5 friends that all were familiar with multiboxing and you can run through some content. So the hardcore players are gonna be that much further ahead than most of the middle faction of gamers
  16. Meatball Elder

I'll toss my lot in for Al'Kabor 2.0
    Rojas, Xanadas and Yinla like this.
  17. silku Augur

Why is there no "I don't intend to play on a progression server so I am not voting." option? Why have it to where the rest of us will be skewing the results, especially if we have no intention (or knowledge) of playing on progression. There should always be a decline to vote option.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  18. Carroth New Member

I will be looking forward to whatever option wins out. Just a couple things on my wish list.

1) Taking the time to return corpse recoveries to the new server will add an element of danger to the game. For casual, and raiders alike. ;)

2) There was an extreme demand on the game when Fippy went live. Many people were unable to create a character for up to 8 hours. I don't want to be looking forward to seeing 50+ people in Tox Forest again, only to keep getting a busy signal from the server for several hours.o_O
    Zoggzog likes this.
  19. Hendar Augur

People who have no intention of playing can currently vote for the worst alternatives to skew things.
    And at the same time, people would would play, but do not have active accounts, cannot vote.

I have no solutions. Forum comments may be a better indication of community thinking.
  20. beyrak Augur

silku said,
    There is, it's option 1. "None. I am not interested in playing on a Progression Server."

That won't skew anything. Anyone that doesn't intend to play on the server should vote that way.