In-Game Progression Server poll (Feb 2015)

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Santrigan Lorekeeper

Why not make a Time Progression server, what I mean by that is: follow Everquest's classic expansion release timeline. Everquest was launched in March 1999, Kunark was released a year later, That would mean players would have a year to play classic Everquest and then Ruins would be unlocked. Scars of velious seven months later, then players could enjoy the classic content in the classic timespan it took for one expansion to be released. I don't know if that has been done before or not, just my idea in the subject.
  2. Tudadar Augur

Im not too thrilled with the voting poll if you guys just pick the highest % and hope this isnt the case.

You have progression people splitting votes over 3 different progression choices and non progression people all voting one choice since no interest in progression and may be interest in that.

The way the poll is set up though is for people that may never play on any of these servers to think why not and just vote for the seasonal. They have nothing to lose.

Now if 2 servers were made with the top 2 choices then that would be perfect and poll mistake wouldnt matter.

I think there should be 2 (1 prog 1 seasonal) Dont forget the mayong mistake. People that didnt care could just make 51/50 alt and fool around for a few hours. They had nothing to lose.
  3. Indigo Augur

What pray tell do you do once you are max level, max AA's and fully geared and no more expansions to be released? I'll tell ya, you quit, the server dies. There is no point of playing on.

You must not have played on a TLP before. It is crowded, very, very crowded. Being stuck in pre-Kunark for any extended period of time will force people to quit, wait or whatever until Kunark is released. Very bad idea.
  4. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I want to weigh in on an option but... instead I just want to say thanks for listening and deciding to put out another server. I mod an EQ related subreddit and since the Daybreak news I've been worried that EQ's day might be numbered. Instead, EQ is getting a new server? This is amazing.

I played very hardcore on Fippy through the launch of GoD and really I'd be happy with any option. The main thing I hope for is that some things were learned from the Fippy/Vulak launches and progression.

I did vote Seasonal because I think it's twist EQ needs and offers the opportunity for the devs to change things up with the server gets stale (see: Fippy and Vulak currently). I've learned to enjoy the flow of seasons in games like League and Diablo and with the exception of Discord ages ago we've never really seen anything like it in EQ. I haven't seen a lot of support for it but I hope it gains some traction.

Props to the dev team. Props to Daybreak.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  5. Fleeting Augur

pvp progression server k thx
    Anavar and Omnicronimous like this.
  6. Frenzic Augur

Because I don't agree with you, obviously I never played on a tlp server? Actually though, I've played on both sets of progression servers from launch hour. I happened to like classic eq and its cozy feeling. I'm against any expansions being unlocked together. I think the smaller ones should just have shorter times.
  7. Anglesy Elder

1. Make alts, help friends, play for the fun of it... basically the same thing people do on regular servers? There are plenty of people out there who have completed the current expansion within a month of it being released, most do not quit the game for a year until the next is released.

2. Did you play during classic? It was crowded. A "camp" might be 5 spawns on 7-15 minute timers. For a lot of people, this is a big part of the appeal as Everquest has always been more about its social aspects than "winning"(i.e. maxing out a character or completing content). I would love to be able to know that for the next 18+ months there are going to be 200+ people in the Commonlands(would be even better if they could revert the new zones to the old ones for the time period) every day, more during busy hours. It was generally a much, much slower game for the majority of the population for its first few years, and I think many of us long for that pacing.
    Glace, Zoggzog, Vinlail and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nasaan New Member

This is what I would love to see. I hate the idea of feeling like you have to box (and people do use 3rd party programs and macros, you can tell by how they move around...). My best days in EQ were when you went to your zone of choice, shouted for a group, then went and joined them.

Nowadays I feel like I have to box my 2 characters, and use 2 mercs, and usually end up soloing HAs or daily Teek quests. Very rarely have I ever had a full group of real people. Also note that I am not max level, only in my 80s.
    Maxe, liveitup1216 and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  9. Tyche Elder

This was a big part of the success of EQ in my opinion. There was a lot of time to sit around and talk to your new group mates. This is where the friendships were built that people still hold on to today. Modern EQ is just a button mashing blink-and-you-die, turbo spawns,no downtime game that there's very little time to relax and shoot the breeze and meet new people.

A new server always has that chance to build that foundation much more than a modern server where lots box, want to be left alone or simply log in 5 mins before raids.
    Glace, Zoggzog, Serriah_Test and 4 others like this.
  10. EQPlayer New Member

Does anyone remember Stormhammer? It was a pretty good idea- with all of the GM events, Tiers for raids, etc... The problem was the cost. It was ~2-3x more expensive to play than regular servers (way before F2P). Something like that would be nice, minus the additional cost to players. The GM events kept it interesting and kept people excited and engaged, while tiered raid content helped open up bottlenecks. It was a nice mix. Unfortunately it died because of the cost to the user (imo).

For those that prefer PVP, a Progression server would also be a nice addition. 5 second long PVP is just boring. Either that, or Fix the PVP damage mitigation and revisit the resist checks so casters actually have a chance. The class imbalance will always be an issue but at least you wont have a server of 80% Rangers and Rogues like Zek currently is. But I suppose PVP and PVP servers are a different conversation all together?

Anyways, it's nice to see the conversation about servers taking place.
  11. Goth Augur

what always just progression servers? why not some unique type server rules?

like simple no merc server
    or no raid gear
    or easy mode
    or hard mode

IDK im not all at that interested in another progression server..
  12. Pelamar Lorekeeper

What a waste of time this is no progression server has ever lasted more than a couple of years before it had to be merged with a live server they don't work as concepts it just fizzles out. What about all the other great suggestions people made are you actually going to do them or just ignore them and pull the same old progression server BS to massage player figures artificially?

Disappointed that this was the first act of our new management when we need new servers to replace the crappy old ones we are forced to play on. We need new servers and no do not even try and palm old ones from shut down games on us those servers smell. New servers please before you do anything else.
  13. Serona Elder

I personally would like to see a rebirth of the Al'Kabor server as I believe PoP is by far the best era of EQ and in addition for the Mac players who lost their game this could be a good way to bring them back to EQ. I love EQ but simply don't have the time to commit to a very competitive progression server like Fippy/Vulak.

If I had to choose from the options I would probably go Slower Progression with a caveat of having at least Classic/Kunark at launch. I would take Velious too but I'm probably the only one :p

What's the possibility of two new servers?

Some form of Progression and an Al'Kabor rebuild? Can the cost be justified?
  14. Silentchaos Augur

Because no.
    ForeverBurning likes this.
  15. Silentchaos Augur

Ya a bunch of extra crap for free would be great from the user's perspective.....
  16. Zansobar Augur

I think the locked at PoP (or perhaps one expansion prior) server is the best option for me. Since I have a job that's enough content to keep me playing for years.
    Zoggzog and liveitup1216 like this.
  17. Darzag Elder

I tried progression servers. It is always the same thing, A guild will come in and take over...speed the progression up so it is no fun for any one else. Time locked progression is very appealing. Then there would be something for the player that is not Timmy Power Gamer. Of course the time between expansions would hafta be more than a month or two. More of EQ1s players are not at the high end. Give us something to play as well please. Hot shot guilds racing through content and complaining that there should be more. Give them a separate server to play on...lol. All 30 or 40 of them.
    Maxe likes this.
  18. Sinzz Augur

I love the idea of following everquest's original time line. think that would pretty much make everyone happier then relying on voting system that might bug out or be flawed and would require less cs support program the timeline and open it up done deal.
  19. Omnicronimous Journeyman

Daybreak,

This is one of those issues that you just have to eventually make a decision on and stick with it, and not fuss too much about whining and complaining. If you're going to make a progression server, do it, whether you make the rules based on what gamers vote on or just figure out what you think will work best. Whatever you decide on, stick to the rules. Such a server will live as long as it will live regardless of how you try to tweak things trying to cater to the loudest cryers and whiners. If you stick to the rules for at least one cycle and it fails, it's on the gaming community. Then you have the example you need to put it off as a bad idea to repeat for a while. If you break the rules and it fails, it's on you. You're breaking a contract of trust with those who join it at the beginning expecting it to be the way you said it would be. It's highly unlikely you're going to attract more people to join a progression server based on you breaking your own rules trying to cater to the complainers. Don't do it.
  20. Krysanth Elder

Holly,
    We all appreciate a new progression server coming. I know its tough with all the whining, moaning and know it alls tell us all how it should be done. I am choosing the slower progression model.

Anyway you can give us a rough ETA on when a server would be launched?
    Rojas and Craigas like this.