In-Game Progression Server poll (Feb 2015)

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Tinytinker Augur

Bringing back corpse runs would be a deal breaker for me. It is a no good, very bad, horrible idea. I don't want to have to spend hours retrieving my corpse because I died to someone training mobs over me because they want my camp or are in a hurry to get to a raid mob.
  2. Giappo Augur

Agreed. Although pre-PoP, there are no corpse summoners.
  3. Zarie New Member

Pre POP summoning was done by necros with a coffin provided.
    One had to purchase a coffin and keep it on one all the time just in case:)
    Zarie
  4. Hendar Augur

I remember getting trained in the City of Mist (near the entrance). My corpse went under the world. Summoning this (via coffin) only brought it to my (x,y) coords, but still left it under the world. It took a GM/guide to get it back for me a week later. While corpse summoners interfered with an important mechanic, I admit I was relieved that I wouldn't lose another week of potential playtime.
  5. BaldamorHammerfell New Member

I like the idea of a new progression server. I'm ok with starting with original content or through Ruins of Kunark (wouldnt mind starting as an iksar again). But, whatever you choose to do can we PLEASE have the original Freeport back ??? Please..the new one is ...in a word...Terrible. Thank You and keep up the good work. Baldamor
    Zoggzog and Anglesy like this.
  6. Hendar Augur

The word I heard was that the original (server-side) files are gone for good.
  7. Tinytinker Augur

What I don't want is to go back to the days where you have to run back to your corpse naked. I'd like to respawn with my gear on. If I have to find a necro to summon my corpse so I can get a res, so be it. At least I'll have my stuff and be able to do things in the meantime.
  8. Hendar Augur

There's an idea: modify the corpse summoning spells to work like the guild-hall summoners. You don't have to be in-zone. You might want to have it summon the first/random corpse, not the entire stack of them. I could see some necros doing a good business.
  9. Giappo Augur

No, it was fine on Fippy. Gear stays on the person. No need for any changes.
  10. silku Augur

Hrm.. I didn't see that as option 1 when it popped up in game for me....
  11. Goldenblaze New Member

I really have a hunch that EverQuest is going to out populate EverQuest 2... Eitherway Can't wait for a progression until EverQuest Next comes along to try =)
  12. Zamazx New Member

No 2 with no voting would get my vote. even no 4 sounds interesting.
  13. Rizzipin New Member

I think this is the primary consideration for any product. It doesn't matter whether it's television, autos, servers or even guilds on those servers. If you want a successful product you have to know who you want to attract and then how to keep them interested.

The numbers probably warrant another go with progression servers. What they probably don't show is how to maintain long term interest. I think it's pretty obvious that the potential customers seem polarized on what they want. My own experience in EQ led me to feel that one of the primary differences between players which led to discontent, was the form in which they wanted to embrace competition.

1) Some players like to struggle with each other over limited assets and have a direct impact on those whom they feel they are competing against. A form of PVP in a PVE game, if you will. The progression servers that have gone before, seem especially well suited to those players. The pacing, play nice rules and spawn mechanic preferences will differ, but I think the essence stays the same.

2) Some players prefer to compete with just the AI and themselves. They may compete to varying degree with the people they play with in a cooperative manner. An easy example would be tank order within a guild, where some players may want a more active role. Or, perhaps a tank within a steady group finds aggro easier and things run smoother if he stays well leveled and geared - for his group. However, most of these players definitely do not wish to negatively affect other players. This is true whether those players are in other guilds competing for targets or in other groups competing for xp and perhaps a local named mob.

I'm a #2. I joined a guild which had restarted on a new server, expressly to avoid (as much as possible) the type of competition #1 styled players enjoy. Most of the players I enjoyed playing with for the long haul, were also #2's, though some certainly crossed over either way. By and large those players found it distasteful to negatively affect others in game. It was not seen so much as a competition to these players. Rather, more like sharing the assets of an imperfect game. Here I'm tempted to make allusions to drivers on public roads...

I was lucky the first time through. I met like minded players and had a blast for awhile. I actually enjoyed GOD and got to see the group content before OOW. We completed GOD before the next expansion released. So, although my social mind set was "filthy casual" I got to see much of the game in a timely manner. Yet, for me the best part of EQ, the stuff I would happily pay to revisit, lies in the early expansions. Most of the players I knew felt this way. Some preferred different eras, most preferred pre POP and GOD seemed to be the abyss. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those players roll up on the progression servers soon after they come up. Probably, most don't stay long.

My wife and I wouldn't roll on the listed choices. Perhaps, if the slow server was slow enough. I saw someone suggest the original release time line. I'd be very tempted by that. I think there's more than enough #2 styled players to keep a server rolling happily by previous TLP standards. With the right rule set I think it could even do better. I'm a casual, but I like the game slow and difficult. I like corpse runs, death penalties, slow regen, horrible sucky aggro (o sorry that was just me) and much of what you find in old EQ. I would just prefer the fight over assets to be minimal and the server progression, very slow.

Sorry if way off topic :)

I'd like to see at least two progression servers launch, but with very different rule sets to cater to different types of players. I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect. it wasn't the first time around for me, but it was fun.
  14. mark Augur

hi everyone you dont need to have an active subscription to vote just log in with your charectar and you will have an option to vote.
  15. liveitup1216 Augur

If you're voting for the Fippy/Vulak clone options, you're discussing a dead sever. If you want to steamroll your way to later expansions, STAY ON LIVE.
    Meatball likes this.
  16. Giappo Augur

How long do you expect a locked, static server to last? What do people do when they are max AA's, max level and fully geared? Trade skills forever? Please.

I'll tell ya, they quit and go back to Live and complain about the server.

I personally would like to see a TLP that would progress through all EQ's content in about 4 years. That's pretty much at Fippy's pace. Why? Because that is about as slow that will work. Anything slower and it will die. And if EQ is still around in 4 years, people will be screaming for a new TLP as we are now since it's been 4 years since Fippy was opened.
  17. Gindak New Member

I would love to see something other than progression, but a new server, is a new server. Although progression servers are way overplayed on this game.

I enjoyed the Mayong server a bunch (not saying another Mayong is needed), but something other than Progression would be nice. But if it has to be from those choices, seasonal challenge is my vote. And, any page with the current poll numbers?
  18. Gindak New Member

To each their own, really. I enjoyed that aspect. People played with more fear and more responsibility. Instead of, "Oh what's the worst that could happen I lose 5 blues of XP before I rez myself? LOLS LET'S TRY!"

But then again, I would just love an original server. Original graphics, no maps, spell book open to mediate etc. etc. But it's been said before that would take too many developer resources, which we now even have less of. (I didn't start playing until Omens of War) But I still want to try the original EQ.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  19. Indigo Augur

Reading carefully through the threads, it seems to me that we have the same minority that always wants a classic server, but no where near in the mainstream of posters. The Seasonal thing is intriguing to some, but do they understand this is a complete rush through limited content? Again, looks like this is the lowest of desires.

So based on what we all knew anyway, looks like the choices that should be on the next poll should be something like this:

(1) New server, existing rules, expansions unlocked 2-3 months after previous one has been completed.

(2) New server, existing rules, expansions unlocked 4-5 months after previous one has been completed.

(3) New server, existing rules, a vote to unlock expansions 2-3 months after previous one has been completed.

(4) New server, existing rules, a vote to unlock expansions 4-5 months after previous one has been completed.
  20. Tinytinker Augur

My problem with corpse runs is other players don't play responsibly. They train around and do stupid stuff, and I end up dead. I want to enjoy the game. Not spend my night in Ocean of Tears looking over my shoulder all the time, because I'm in fear of getting trained by another player.

No maps and staring at your spell book are not things I'd like to see brought back. My play time is so limited with work/school/my kids' activities, I don't want to waste it racing around a zone without maps. I just want to get to my group as quickly as I can and kill mobs as efficiently I can.

Nothing's stopping you from unequipping your gear and running back to your corpse if you want to experience EQ like it was.