How can we reliably sell high value items?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MmmmBop, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

Just do it the "free" player way aka avenger of the dispossessed and give your loot away for free or for a very small price. The market is messed up anyways and DBG is clearly overstrained at keeping up with the hundreds of features they have added over the many years and they continue releasing broken things like Overseer and the new UI engine without ever fixing them and old stuff like the economy. They had many years to fix the broken economy and the coin limit problem but they failed on it by ignorance. Putting a tax on Nobles is an affront par excellence because it is Daybreaks fault that the market is broken and players should not pay an idiot tax for that inability.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

For the problem of new players not having the plat to buy best in slot items: maybe trade is the answer. You find a great item you cant use and trade it for one you can use. You still have to interact with other players to do that, but as KushallaFV said - this is supposed to be a social game.
  3. Keenween Elder

This is the only right answer for me ( I play since 1999 with alot time in the EC Tunnels o_O )

All other options are BS. If you make PP options in the bazaar like 5m, 10m, 20m only open the door for robber/cheater, plat seller, krono seller (NO THANKS) or player,s who mean a rusty dagger is 10m pp worth or items that no longer worth a high value (EoK rare, ToV Rare etc.)

btw: No one in the real life say, men, i wish i can more pay for my house, car, boat:rolleyes: , you know what i mean (or you are mega silly :p)
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That limit also keeps items from being sold at all because people don't want to put them in the bazzar and sell them for less than they are worth and they don't bother with trying to sell them in chat.
  5. CrazyLarth Augur

Its the buyer limit that that needs to be set higher. I like the cap on seller myself.
  6. minimind The Village Idiot

I'm of a similar mind.

I completely recognize that people play many different games in Norrath and that one of those games is "acquire as much plat as possible", but that's not my game. The few times I've gotten something that could potentially sell for 2Mpp or more, I've simply priced it at 2Mpp, announced that it's on the trader for 2Mpp, but then offered to mark it down to 1.9Mpp for anyone willing to buy it within 15 minutes.

Moving product is more important for me than getting the absolute max out of drop.
    Yinla and Tatanka like this.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

The plat cap is only there that the players do buy Kronoj for trading their items. It is the same with the Noble tax to make Nobles less attractive than Kronoj as a currency. The claim that there is a 2 mio pp cap is only half of the truth and therefor a lie because there are other solutions available.

I do doubt that such a 2 mio pp cap does exist at all because during Windows XP 32-bit thousands of people claimed that it's memory is limited to 2 GB but it was possible to hack and extend that limit to 4 GB, so the 2 GB cap was just a lie from Microsoft that people believed. Believe is the opposite of truth. See the similarity... 2 mio pp vs 2 GB because of 32-bit ? DBG easily could add more currencies like diamonds or diamond coins as an addition to platinum pieces but it is not wanted for a finance political reason which is to sell Kronoj.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

People who are buying krono for items are because they don't have the plat to purchase them in the first place. Since you can't sell items for krono in the bazaar you have to do a manual trade which makes the plat cap pointless.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Manual trades are also capped at 2 mio pp. As example if you sell something for 2.2 mio pp the buyer can give you 2 mio pp + 2 Noble. It would be stupid to break the deal into two or more parts because that does open the door to fraud.
  10. MmmmBop Wise Troll

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. It sounds like you are saying you can only transfer up to 2 million plat per transaction (even manual trades).

However, if that is what you are saying, that isn't true. Last month I sold a blood-soaked item for 5 mill and there was no need for multiple transactions.

I am not sure if that means anything to your arguments or not, but I can assure you that there is no 2 million plat cap for manual trades. If that wasn't what you were trying to say, can you please elaborate?
  11. MmmmBop Wise Troll

12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I have never heard that manual trades are capped at 2 million plat and I am pretty sure I have made trades for more than that in the past.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Well it is many years ago since I made such a deal. Maybe the limit got extended with the 64-bit update. And maybe I just became a victim of the Mandela effect. :eek:

@MmmmBop
    Yes, this is what I meant. A 2 mio pp cap for manual trades.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When you trade you are trading plat as plat which means it is not being stored as coper like it is in the marketplace prices. Because of that it is not impacted by that limit.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

It seems that the only logical reason why Nobles got added in the past is that there had to be a plat cap in the past for manual trades. Maybe someone has a better explanation for the existence of Nobles.

The official info is that all main currency coins including platinum are technically based on copper which has a cap of 2 billions. 2,000,000 pp * 10 * 10 * 10.
  16. MmmmBop Wise Troll

You might be right... but the difference is that nobles went to an NPC where manual trades are between people. I know I have transferred large amounts of plat between my alts long before 64 bit too. There might be coding issues that make one possible and the other not possible. I've never tried to transfer that much plat to an NPC... maybe you can do so if you buy from the noble vendor in the bazaar zone... pay him 4 million plat for 40 nobles. I assume that would work but I can't say that I have done it to verify.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is not correct as you can have well over 2 million in plat in your inventory and in your bank. The only thing that is stored in copper is the prices on merchants which includes players that are setup as traders in the bazaar. Plat is stored as plat in your inventory, bank and trade window which is why you can have more than 2 million in those places.

People will pay well over 2 million in plat for krono on most servers and they don't need to do multiple trades for that.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  18. Vaeeldar Augur

Sorry but this isn’t accurate at all. If you want a fast example just head for FV. Bags sell for 2million regularly and then raid gear is easily 5-30 million. In ERA NOS is the high end.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

Alright, so only the bazaar and NPC merchants (including offline-traders) are affected by a 2 mio pp limit. The explanation was that the reason is a 32-bit limit and that the platinum coins are technically based on copper coins. 2 mio pp = 2 bio cp. So the question is why only the bazaar and merchants are limited and everything else not. Bad programming or intended ?

The existence of Nobles is still not solved. Why are they there ?
  20. Laronk Augur

I think that NPC merchants can't list any single item over 2 million either and the 32 bit signed integer cap thing is applied there and that NPC merchants and the bazaar merchants when you interact with them in person uses the same system.

I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the cap and made everyone use the ui+ parcel system they might be able to raise the limit above that 2 million cap but that the 2 million cap is maybe tied to the vendor/merchant system. Since we're obviously able to have a billion plat and trade more than 2 million plat in a single trade.

With nobles you can buy items that are worth more than 2 million plat from the one merchant that accepts nobles. The most expensive thing that marcia can spawn with I think is worth 95 nobles or 9.5 million plat. Nobles were just made so this merchant could sell things for more than 2 million IMO.

I personally would give up the ability to be right clicked on and for me to right click merchant other players in the bazaar if it meant I could buy stuff worth more than 2 million plat in the baz and pay to have it parceled to me /dream
    FYAD likes this.