How can we reliably sell high value items?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MmmmBop, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

If it was easy, everyone would have this problem.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I look at it this way. If you are constantly selling high value items on the non FV Live servers no sympathy. If its only occasionally then its not worth a software solution just sell in gen chat. I'm not saying my opinion is right or wrong it's just my opinion.

I guess it does suck on FV though.
  3. Alnitak Augur

It is actually easy. It drops off any mob in the expansion, even the weakest ones.
    Just set up a camp with the easiest mob and start kiiling the respawns.
    Every 250,000 kills the earring should drop with about 50% chance. If not - then every 500,000 kills it will drop with 75% chance. Or every 750,000 kills it will drop with 87.5% chance, or every 1 million kills it will drop with the whole 93.75% chance.
    It's easy, just insanely long.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

There are a few things to stop the ingame money inflation and one is a currency reform. Since the very beginning copper and silver pieces were only a thing until lvl 15. Then gold pieces until lvl 30, so they never were important after that which was and still is a very bad currency concept.

All platinum pieces should just be transformed into silver pieces. Copper pieces should be the only newbie coins. All zones with all its NPCs (mobs, merchants) and quests would have to be adjusted. Hill giants would drop silver pieces instead of platinum pieces and a Krono would cost around 4 mio silver pieces (= 40,000 pp), and so on. Additionally the coin exchange factor could be increased from 10 to 100 like in real life and EQ would be set for the next hundred years. With factor 100, a Krono would then cost around 400 pp instead of 4 mio pp.

That is mathematical nonsense. If the kills do get doubled, the drop chance does get doubled also.
  5. Vaeeldar Augur

Bold is incorrect. You might want to revisit statistics class.
    Nennius and Tatanka like this.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

No, this is categorically incorrect. That is not how it works at all. Please don't speak as an authority on something you clearly do not understand.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

Any prove for your weird theories Vaeeldar and Act of Valor ?
  8. Lubianx Augur

Iven you are incorrect.

When talking statistical chances, it isn't double or triple or whatever.

Example.

Toss a coin. The chance of at least 1 heads coming up is 50%
    Toss 2 coins the chance is 75% that at least 1 head pops up, not 100%. (TT, TH, HT, HH)
    Toss 3 coins and its 87.5% (TTT, TTH, THT, THH, HHH, HHT, HTH, HTT).

An item that has a chance to drop 1% of the time has the same thing.

For 50 kills the chance would be P=1-.99^50 or roughly 39.5%

For 100 kills it would be P=1-.99^100 roughly 63.4%.

100 kills would not mean it drops 100% of the time
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Thx for your explanation Lubianx, that is interesting. I always thought that 100 kills in average are needed for an item that has a drop chance of 1%. Do you think that this is wrong or are there just two different theories for the calculation methods ?
  10. GuppieFrog New Member

Lubianx is correct and also Iven you are correct

However "in average" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

The law of large numbers simply states that if something can happen with 1% chance then over say billions/trillions/etc events on average the event will have happened with 1% chance.
    So out of 100 million drops, very close to 1 million drops (but not necessarily exact!) will have the item.

Take any smaller interval and there is NOT 100% chance that event happens within certain 100 drops.
    Instead you use formula provided by Lubianx.

It is infamous gambler's fallacy to think if say coin was heads five times in a row that we are "due" for a tails..

Then again sometimes coin is crooker or random number generator is fubar.

So if you see coin 100 heads in a row, that is certainly a crooked coin. 10 heads in a row - no big deal.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. Gialana Augur

It's easier to calculate the probability of not seeing a 1% drop chance in 100 kills. In that case, there's a 99% chance that an individual kill will not drop the item. So the chance that all 100 kills won't drop the item is:
    0.99^100 = .366 = 36.6%

Subtracting that from 1, we get:
    1 - .366 = .634 = 63.4%

So there is a 63.4% chance that you will see at least 1 drop in 100 kills.

Even if you were to go kill 200 mobs, there would still be a 13.4% chance that none of the kills will result in the drop.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

For a 1% chance drop rate it takes about 70 kills to have a 50-50 chance of it dropping because 0.99^70 = 0.495. So on average you will get it in 70 kills. Statistics are one step up from simple math.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Items are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Plat is pretty worthless, payers either have tons of it or very little. Those who have loads want higher prices. But if you have that much plat what is there you can spend it on?

I'm happy with the 2 mill limit. Helps keep things afordable for the little guys who don't have tons of playtime.

If you have something you think is worth more than 2 mill, go old school and use the auction channel.
    minimind and Keenween like this.
  14. Laronk Augur

Or you’re like me and you have tons of stuff in the bank you could sell but then you don’t. Really for me my problem is more the lack of an auction house
  15. MmmmBop Wise Troll

How does keeping a 2 million limit in the bazaar keep things affordable? Assuming you play on a live server, when was the last time you saw someone selling a krono for 2 million plat? When was the last time you saw someone selling an ultra rare chase drop in the bazaar for 2 million plat?

I hate to break it to you, but people don't just give up and sell their items of high value for low prices because the bazaar is outdated. What ends up happening is they sell in /general channel (if they can get in) or they let said item rot in their inventory.

As far as using /auction... are you serious? You want people to run from zone to zone auctioning off their items? What's the next suggestion, send everyone an unsolicited tell asking them if they are interested in buying your gear?

Trading in EQ is a pretty big feature - why else would there even be a bazaar zone? I would like to think the devs would prefer a centralized way to buy and sell vs going old school and auctioning stuff off in single zones like was normally done 20+ years ago. I would argue society in general agrees with me. If you want proof, look at the successes of companies like Amazon and Ebay.
    FYAD, CatsPaws, Svann2 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bernel Augur

One reason the 2M cap keeps prices down is that it's such a hassle to sell high priced items. The lower the price, the faster it will sell. Even if you resort to /general, you are going to price your item at a point where it will sell in the amount of time you want to spend selling it. Price it low and it will sell quickly. Price it high and you'll be spamming /general for days waiting for that one person who wants it that much. Since most people don't want to spend days selling an item, they price it low so they get something for it.

But if the bazaar didn't have the 2M cap, then the prices might come down because it's easier to sell items. More people would sell these rare items, which means the prices would go down. Rather than just one person going through the hassle of trying to sell their Sword of Uberness in /general with a high price because of the hassle, you could have 20 people selling their SoU in the /bazaar. The /bazaar sellers would be undercutting each other trying to get the sale. Or prices might go up since buyers can now easily buy the SoU without having to hang around in chat channels hoping someone is selling one. All the buyers may create demand that drives up prices.

Does anyone know what happens to prices of items when the /bazaar comes online? Either from back when it was first added or when it's added to a TLP? I would think the changes in prices would be analogous to having the 2M cap removed. Even if items aren't selling for 2M when the /bazaar comes online, there's the sudden efficiency of being able to put your items in /bazaar rather than having to shout in chat channels. Do prices generally go up or down in the /bazaar compared to what they were selling for before the /bazaar came online? I would expect the same change would happen to prices if the /bazaar had the 2M cap removed.

(I was initially thinking Krono prices might be a good thing to check before and after /bazaar, but I'm not sure. The market for Krono is so crazy it might not be representative of prices in general. It might be better to look at prices of normal gear and items to see how the introduction of /bazaar affects the prices of normal stuff.)
  17. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

It's kinda correct; except the chances overlap.

25% chance of none, 50% chance of a drop, 25% chance of two drops.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I think Darkpaw cares as much as I do about the horror of selling items for more than 2 million, in that they don't.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

nah there just too lazy to fix the code. I was around 1b pp again so i had to go on a big krono shopping spree at 11m pp each.
    Laronk likes this.
  20. FYAD Augur

If I have to take something to /general to sell it, I'm asking for a krono trade, not plat. They should just bite the bullet already and dedicate time in a year's expansion development cycle to build an auction house to outright replace the bazaar.
    MmmmBop likes this.