How can we reliably sell high value items?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MmmmBop, Jun 19, 2023.

1. MmmmBop Wise Troll

We have a bazaar that is outdated and doesn't work for high value items and our general channel is broken, and has been for some time, leaving a hard limit of 400 people to join. So, when you can't join general because it's full, then how are you supposed to sell your high end stuff?

I suspect that only higher population servers like FV and BB are experiencing this on a regular basis, but I'd rather not be forced to switch servers to sell and just see a fix of some sort.

As of late, I have seen people spam PoK, but I would really prefer to spam non-AFK people if I am going to have to actively sell my stuff because DPG won't upgrade the bazaar.

Any suggestions on how to sell stuff when general channel is full up?
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

FV's general chat system has been FUBAR for a decade+. Everything gets auctioned in 4 different general chat channels, because very little gets sold for actual value in the bazaar. If I give up and throw CoV raiding gear in the bazaar for 2 million plat, it's gone in 15 minutes. Or I can sit there trying to auction it in general channels, which not everyone can access or enter due to buggy systems, for 3 - 4 million and get frustrated at lack of tells.
    Koshk likes this.
  3. Riou EQResource

It's only going to continue to get worse over time until they fix the small 2m cap
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Discord server channel maybe? But that's probably not a good idea as if everyone did that the channel would probably be useless
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

We do have a FV discord server that Alarya put together. There's a buy/sell/trade channel. But now you're talking 3rd party solutions for a first-party problem.
    Scornn, Koshk and Warpeace like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Make a macro like this:
    /join general
    /join general
    /join general
    /join general
    /join general
    Then spam it till it lets you in.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

Sell your stuff on The Veteran's Lounge forum !
    Rikantiz and Nennius like this.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I am sure even if they raised the cap to 10 million or a 100 million, some people would still go past it. I doubt the average player who is not automating their play is generating tens of million of plat. The best I have managed is 90k an hour in Steam Factory which is godawful boring. Maybe there some other secret legal means of generating of plat by playing that I have not discovered yet. I wish someone would share it with me.
    Muramx and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  9. Warpeace Augur

Well, this can't be true since I often spam my way into general chat with over 500 people in it. Working as intended right? maybe their solution is to push everyone to 3rd party chat options.
  10. MmmmBop Wise Troll

So spamming your way in and 3rd party chat options are the solutions so far... pretty much what I was thinking before posting.

Quick backtrack to what drove me to post in the first place. It was about 10 AM MST when I tried to log into general and could not (made about 10 tries). Considering this is a fairly low point in server population, I have to assume that the vast majority of those 400 slots are taken up by AFK people who didn't bother to log off since their last play session. And so even when I do finally spam my way in, I am spamming my way in to a bunch of AFK zombies who aren't going to respond to my attempts to sell anyways. At least when general chats weren't broken and sent you to a new general channel, you could rely on that newly created channel to have actual live people at the keyboard paying attention to chat. Nowadays though, unless you lock down your spot in general, you may not be able to get back in.

That's not the worst idea in the world... or at least make a sub-forum for it. I'd at least look through it for the handful of ultra rare items I'm interested in since I have next to no chance of ever seeing them for sale in game.

Sadly, I may have to look into the discord option as I have little faith the devs are going to actually do anything about this... Geez, just think about it... if it weren't for third party options, we might have to move back to the EC tunnels to sell again even though our bazaar system was meant to get us away from that 20 years ago!
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Easy. Find a chase pet ear and sell it for 10 million.
    Elyssanda and Fenthen like this.
  12. josh Augur

The only real solution if you want to fix plat is to put a cap on the amount of plat any account is allowed to have. if you have x amount of plat, probably variable based on level and whether or not you have a paid account, your plat starts to decay until you have x. The EQ billionaires will ruin any other solution you try to make. You just can't have a small group of people with that much power over the market and expect things to work. You have to take it away it is the only solution.

No one is going to go for that though for reasons I don't personally understand.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

because its stupid?
    Why do you think you deserve to buy that chase item for cheap when someone else is willing to pay more. Greedy. You dont NEED it to be buyable for cheap. Go get one of your own. Thats what the game is about. Fighting stuff, looting stuff.
    code-zero, Goranothos and Nennius like this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Price stuff in "Likes".
    Mikana likes this.
  15. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

No, the game is about being a social media platform where users engage in role-play in a high-fantasy world. Fighting and killing is one part, but trading is just as important.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Sure and competition in trading is part of that. Whoever is willing to pay more gets it. Thats the basis for any trading system. Otherwise we might as well cancel plat and just give gifts.
    Goranothos and Nennius like this.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you make the mistake of accumulating over 1,000,000,000 plats on a character, any time you try to access the plats to trade to another character, it results in an automatic disconnect from the server. Thus you can't access your plats

For now you are stuck :/
    You can free yourself by buying a Noble which will bring you under the 1b limit. (it is an actual game limit)

Its not an account cap but it is a character cap so just distribute among your alts. Hopefully it will change soon since that was all 32 bit caused.
  18. FYAD Augur

Ok, I just make multiple mule accounts to store plat up to the cap. Then I funnel plat to my main when I want to buy something.

In a 20+ year old game, there are going to be accounts that have amassed a large amount of currency. A cap-and-decay system is just anti-fun and I don't know why someone would suggest it.
    Tatanka and Goranothos like this.
  19. josh Augur

Which is why the cap is lower if you have a free account, the issue isn't that some people are richer than other people, the issue is that the gap is as large as it is. Even if you had 100 paid accounts, having 100 times more than any individual person isn't a huge problem, it is when you have so much that you can buy every item being sold in the bazaar and set the price of it.

fun is entirely subjective, which is really the reason why nothing is going to be done about the plat issue, no matter what they do it will upset a group of people, so from the developers perspective it probably is best to just not do anything.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What? My free accounts are not limited on plat. All accounts have the same cap of 1,000,000,000