EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stagentti Augur

You're the one who tried to come at him about his server with that comment and it didn't check out. Sorry you're upset.

Your # in discord is less than the population of Miragul if it has that many during peak cause not every single person is logged in at peak.

D- troll with my name. You're better than that. Believe in yourself.
  2. Brawl Elder

Is right now peak hour?
    The 70-110 "actively playing" number is for during peak hour, and who's to say how many of those are boxing.

The discord number you checked an hour ago also isn't peak hour, so why are you comparing it? There are 129 members "sitting in discord" in it that have joined in the last 2 days since its creation.
  3. Raytheon Augur

What I think of when i see people whining about PVP in EQ.

[IMG]
  4. PVPme Augur

What I think of all the PvE players advocating agaisnt a PvP server.

[IMG]
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

6. Risiko Augur

I have nothing against the idea of a TLP PvP server. I think the biggest factor that hurts the PvP crowd though is the "in your face" feeling they give on the forums. It doesn't win over much support, and clearly hasn't worked for the past two decades either.

Story time...
    I had interest in playing on the Zek server in the past. I created a character, and got a handful of levels, and then the next time I zoned from out of the starting area, dead before the game even finished loading fully on my side.

I chuckled, and went about my way thinking he got me. Good for him. Then I zoned again, and dead before the game finished loading... again.

Did it one more time.... guess what. Same effect.

The person, whom was way above my level by a mile, apparently thought that sitting at the zone line and killing noobs as they enter the zone was the best way to spend the evening.

I logged out, and never went back to Zek again.

Morale of the story... Try to put your competitive spirit to the side for half a second once in a while, and you might find you have more people to play with in general. When you lollerskate take advantage of people "because you can", it leads to the situation we have today in EQ for the PvP scene; one server with barely any population on it.

Just saying.
    Warpeace, Aneuren and Skuz like this.
  7. Dulu Augur

No one from the PVP community has been hostile here, but look at it from our perspective: we are asking for one server and being attacked from all sides.

Now, onto your story..

There is only one PvP server in EQ history where that scenario is possible. Sullon Zek. It was a faction based pvp server, and as a veteran of that server, I can tell you what you could have done.

1) Ask your faction for help
    2) Leave and XP elsewhere

PvP servers require some flexibility. You will lose battles and have to adjust your leveling plans. Its not always a relaxing experience.

Furthermore, this behavior is not and was never the norm on any PVP server. Most people on PVP servers are actually incredibly well mannered, because they know there can be consequences for acting stupid.
  8. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Not at all :) ... It was a pretty fun joke for about six months!

This TLP pvp joke will last a much shorter period of time, I suspect.

Best of luck!
  9. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

To be fair, I think all TLP servers are jokes right now. Not sure why someone would want to replay the same content over and over and over and over again.
  10. Aegir Augur

I would be interested in a Sullon Zek server. I wouldn't play it forever, but definitely try it out in the off-hours of my main server.

It would be the only real thing that could add a very different taste to foregone conclusion of current classic start TLP's.
    PVPme likes this.
  11. ECrack Augur

This guy is the hardest working advocate for non-pvp. All I see is someone who is A. Scared. B. Wants to play another blue tlp for 2 months and quit again.

I don't see why you care so much. You want your nostalgia for the umpteenth time? P99 Green is live bud.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Here's the thing:

It isn't just asking for one server and that's it. If it was I'd wager most people here would be fine with DPG making a PvP TLP just to get you all to shut the hell up and leave everyone alone.

The problem is that EQ PvP is garbage, and it would require significant work to make it anything remotely less than garbage. That is time, money, and effort that most people believe is better spent on literally anything else given that TLPs are a small subset of the overall playerbase*, and the people who want and would actually play on a PvP TLP is a much smaller subset of that group.

(*That quote about TLPs being half of the game was in reference to $$, not ##. TLPs are filled with whales).

"But, but, but it's only LIVE PvP that's garbage. Classic PvP is balanced/good/fine!!!!111one11eleven1 and it won't require devs to work on it!"

NO, IT'S REALLY NOT.

So much has changed in the game to affect PvP balance in the Classic->PoP eras that any semblance of balance that *might* have existed originally is completely gone and would require extensive work to try and restore.

"But, but, but we don't care about balance, it will be fine, just release it as is!"

NO, IT REALLY WON'T.

Unbalanced PvP is NOT fun for most people. If they want to do well it forces them to either play the OP classes (which they may not want to play) or play the classes they like and get wrecked. And what will they do? Either quit or beg for balance changes and we're back to needing dev time.

Zek players have the reputation as mostly because that's what many of us have seen first hand. Zek players joining a live server guild just long enough to get max gear before they transfer back was common enough that it led to most top guilds having "No-Zek" application policies.

Are all PvP players ? Of course not, but there have been PLENTY of them over the years that have ruined the reputation of the server/people that play there.
    Warpeace, Skuz and Zanarnar like this.
  13. code-zero Augur

You are wrong, I'm all for y'all having a PvP TLP. I try to point out what the devs had to say about it and I get the equivalent of /general trash talk.

You don't know me

You don't know that I don't have a deleveled epic rogue with the best gear that you can have on a level 10 just salivating at the thought of ganking you in the newbie yard on Zek. You don't know that I don't have a wizard/bard duo setup up to do drive by's at bard speed with instant cast spells.

You people want PvP but want to dictate rules and I'm pretty sure that none of you has the stones to actually try to play on Zek and level up. I see the comments about making PvP guilds on Agnarr and laugh because that would just prove that you're afraid to really PvP
  14. PVPme Augur

Thanks for your very long opinion on EverQuest PvP. Since I can tell you've never tried it in your life I do think you should try the new TLP PVP server coming soon.

Spoiler: No game is balanced when it comes to PvP.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That's not a long opinion.
    There is no PVP TLP coming, soon or otherwise.
    DAoC was balanced*

*Until they screwed it up with expansions. It was also designed to be a PVP game.
    Chopsuey and Skuz like this.
  16. Angered Augur

I think they need to just come and say NO because honestly 137 up votes? Your going to host a raid on ZEK? Ok heres a reality check if you and all the other people who actually care about PVP in EQ you would have been doing this for years getting everyone to play on the ZEK or A PVP server! The fact you did not or you could not find enough people who actually care about PVP in EQ it didn't happen! So now your going to throw a giant party and get as many people as you can! If the server stays high for 6 months then maybe just maybe will actually take you and your piers seriously! But honestly if Darkpaw wants to make money and i assume they do its not going to be a PVP server its going to be a FV or Free trade server! They want "AVENGERS END GAME MONEY" NOT "BIRS OF PREY MONEY" Avengers = FV / Free Trade
    Birds of prey = PVP TLP IE a FLOP

honestly just stop with the PVP stuff its honestly sad at this point and a waste of time to even talk about!
  17. Dulu Augur

None of us are interested in EQ live.

Please stop regurgitating this weak, lazy argument.
  18. Dulu Augur

Did we miss the bus for this 21 year old elf sim? Is NOW too late to play?
  19. Angered Augur

I never missed the short bus! Also ELF? EXCUSE ME? OGRE NEVER EVER MISTAKE ME FOR AN ELF! O G R E and also a drakkin when TSS comes out for my war..... Broke my raid leaders heart should have made an iskar for AC bonus... TSS is an expansion post POP for anyone who doesn't play that far.... I get your passion man im a die hard fantastic 4 fan and i know world wide theres like maybe 1000(12) of us who actually enjoy the first family comics So i know where your coming from! But honestly those of us like my self who hold a 85-95+% RAID attendance from the time we start until the end for me it was Classic-TDS? (the expansion before level 80 i can never make it to level 80 content and i really want to) AS A SHM with a raid alt war (which was a privilege and an honor thank you IVAS / WT) But honestly were waiting for a Free Trade / FV type server and maybe if you guys can keep ZEK at a high pop youll get your wish next year! But dont kid your self PVP EQ is not a thing its really not! I have 9 Years played and honestly i dotn think i have ever actually legit dueled someone unless i did not have a gate pot on my war (SHAME SHAME AND THOSE WAR WHO DONT FARM AC AUGS SHAME SHAME SHAME) I wish you and your piers the best of luck but were not waiting on a PVP server were waiting on a FV / Free Trade
  20. Alakshak Journeyman

PvP was an after thought from the beginning and at a certain point in time (PoP I think?) it wasn't considered at all. Current itemization, class skills/spells, and AAs would make a PvP server an absolute mess. More or less the state of RZ. Not to mention all the changes they have made that affect TLPs in general.

I suspect they know it would be a unmitigated clustertruck with calls for "fixes". The server itself does not have enough people interested to warrant a new TLP let alone the work it would require to balance things. Why knowingly put someone out completely broken?

People like to talk about how much of a mess X or Y TLP is but in the end they are actively enjoyed by quite a few people. No one is going to enjoy a PvP TLP where from expansion to expansion there are insanely massive swings in class power because the Devs didn't factor in PvP balance when making class/role defining decisions.

Don't believe me? Two words.

Enchanter. Charm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.