EQ PVP Big Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hane, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Risiko Augur

This thread about PvP has gone full PvP .... or.... Poster Versus Poster.

Incoming thread lock because of the arguing in... 3.... 2... 1
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

138 upvotes people, the turnout is going to be freaking massive.
  3. PVPme Augur

Cool story. So was raiding and the raid window. NEXT!
  4. Chopsuey Augur

This. Go play on the DAoC private server, Phoenix. Much better pvp. And it actually exists.
    Alakshak likes this.
  5. Dulu Augur

https://www.mmobomb.com/news/everquest-players-planning-protest-pvp-progression-servers/

My body is ready.
  6. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I would never play on a PVP server for EverQuest because it just isn't my bag. I get too amped up even with open world PVE contests - which is why I personally avoid them as much as possible, although sometimes it's hard to avoid being pushed into it by other players. But I don't like those moments, they leave a bad taste in my mouth - they make me less interested in playing this game, not more.

I have empathy for your crusade though. Post Fippy, I've spent years begging on these forums for fully instanced PVE content with Agents of Change on a non-truebox server. So I can understand how frustrating it can be when you feel like you are continually chasing a dream that everybody tells you will never come true.

The problem for a person like me, reading your posts, is kind of summed up by this small snippet of your post. The problem is that it ignores Risiko's third option - the one that he took - which was logging off and never coming back. And Daybreak probably doesn't want people being driven away from the game because of behavior like that (but hey, I could be wrong, who knows). So now we get into the process of evaluating what and how many changes or rules need to be implemented for a PVP server to work.

And now, this is where the people against you will start tearing into you. Live players jealously guard developer time, because in their view we are the reason that they don't have the content they want. TLP players jealously guard developer time, because in their view they (specifically their revenue streams) are the reason that EverQuest is still even active to this date and so they deserve whatever GM/Developer/etc. intervention to make the TLP servers enjoyable.

And in the middle of all this are the players that feel like they are asking for what, to them, seems eminently reasonable.

If you lined up 10 EverQuest players from most anywhere, the number one thing we'd probably want the most is about 50 more developers like the ones that we already have.
    Brawl and Fraggly like this.
  7. Ehrz Journeyman

More fake news did you personally contact these sites and troll them on the actual numbers of interest were way higher?
  8. eqzekisdead Augur

log back into zek dulu so i can kill
  9. Runes Augur

This is a very valid question and one I was wondering too. Not about the boxers but what is the draw for an EQ player that would keep your interest to PvP?

I have PvPd in other games and there was a goal benefit to it, either by accumulating kill points for better gear and discounts with in game purchases or holding a castle or other city. But with EQ is it just the bragging rights and dispute resolutions and bad behavior deterants?

I never played on a Zek server so don't know what the rewards would be? If it's just bragging rights doesn't that get old pretty fast?

BTW if you want to experience some really amazing PvP with seige and castle battles on a large scale check out a game called Knight Online. It had the very best PvP mechanics with a weekly goal of a guild having to hold a castle from the rest of the server.
  10. Dulu Augur

I think you are trying to attribute logic to raw, emotional, deranged behavior.

None of these people are concerned about "Developer Time". They just hate "the other", and want to make sure no one can play in their sandbox except people like them.

Lots of games with huge funds and development teams have the exact same reactions.

It really goes against Brad's vision:

^ Brad Mcquaid
    Brawl likes this.
  11. Dulu Augur

The best goals, to me, are always the ones that players create themselves.

I've PVP'd in pretty much every MMO throughout the years. Lead the first US raid on Altdorf in WAR, played Dark Age of Camelot in it's glory days, Gladiator in WoW, etc.

Best PvP battle I ever had?

Playing on Project 1999: Red server.

We're part of an underdog guild (at the time) called Thunderdome, and the "top" guild on the server has engaged Trakanon. The dragon is running wild, huge 50 vs. 50 fight that seemed to go on forever.

Eventually, we are able to slay the last of the <Apex> players, and the handful of <Thunderdome> still alive is able to pick up Trakanon, and we're able to finish it off for the loot! Everyone in voice went wild.

You can't really compare PVE and PVP servers in Everquest. They are a completely different game and experience. It's like comparing checkers to the UFC. Anything can happen, and often will happen.

Brawl likes this.
  12. PVPme Augur

PvP servers do have a built in leader boards but its also more about the open world PvP battles for raid targets that I find the most fun. You usually have one team holding the zone in defending the other team who is usually breaking off to kill raid targets.

As it is now on the past TLP servers the "hardcore" players just see who can do the most damage to open world targets and then brag about securing the kill that way. I personally am not to big of a fan of that style of play since it takes very little skill compared to defending a rival guild from wiping your guild while they fight a raid boss. To each their own though.

Box crews could definitely be pretty dangerous especially to new PvP players. A group of real players that know what they're doing would have little issue with a box squad. It's a lot more difficult to control all those boxes when players are constantly ranging your spells and using other tactics to make their life miserable.

On a PvP server there can actually be a "best" guild compared to a PvE servers where every guild kills the same things over and over.
    Brawl and Dulu like this.
  13. PVPme Augur

Also PvP adds a whole other element to the game you just can't get on a PvE server.

Soon as someone zones in you're wondering who they are, and if they are coming to kill you or if they are looking for a group to get some experience with.
    Brawl likes this.
  14. Dulu Augur

[IMG]
  15. Mobetta New Member

First - Wrong game, wrong vision.

Second, it was John Smedley who pushed for PvP in Everquest early on. Brad McQuaid wanted it to remain primarily a PvE game.

"Some PvP things may have been optional, but from day one, EverQuest was [centered on] PvE."
    - Brad McQuaid

"PvP was very much an afterthought in EQ, and never really became a major focus."
    - John Smedley

Why anyone would expect any resources to be spent on EQ PvP in 2020 is beyond me to explain.
  16. Dulu Augur

Thank you for your interest and polite questions!

Now, does anyone enjoy playing with boxers like that?

Seems like that isn't a PVP/PVE problem, but a whole other issue that needs to be addressed.

Project 1999: Red had a great system. They outlawed boxing entirely.

Anyone they suspected of 2-boxing, they would administer a "live person check", where a GM asks both of them a different, random question, and they have to answer at the same time. Failure to do so results in punishment.

Here is a video of it happening:

17. Ehrz Journeyman

Honestly amage army ran by 1guy could sit at every zone in and just rain and /pet attack and kill entire groups before they all even load in there is no way to counter that
  18. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

You use unmentionable software to warp around and PK the cheating boxers!
  19. Dulu Augur

There are actually a lot of ways to counter that, from a players perspective, and from the developers side.

Your personally limited experience and/or imagination is not reality.
  20. Ehrz Journeyman

Average player isnt even going to deal with that lol no one is going to get a group of 25 people together everytime 1 boxer is doing something fucky which would be everywhere all over the game at all hours of the day
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.