Encounter locking - coming to live?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 5, 2023.

1. atchoom Lorekeeper

atm, i can invite a lower toon or 2 ( let say level 90 ), what i am doing is to put the other 2 from mine out of the group to still dps, ect without loosing dps doing so , dropping 2 level 120 toons and adding ex: 2 level 90 instead in group would loose a lot of xp doing so,

not sure i would invite them if in return i loose a lot of dps.
    Vumad likes this.
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I think the mobs are locked to whatever toon agro them first rendering anything the other toon does ineffective besides for heals, etc. That would render mass PLing ineffective I think.
  3. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Sounds more like a misguided "solution" to perceived issues on very early TLPs. I don't play on live, but the TLP I'm playing on is in TDS which is fairly late for TLPs and I don't really see any issues that would even hypothetically benefit from encounter locking? Nobody's tried to dps race me on a named in forever, even if they wanted to I'd rather just do the dps race than have to spam a macro to hope I get the tag on the named I'm camping.

If anything encounter locking would just empower individuals with new ways to intentionally troll groups of players without violating rules on training and such.
  4. strongbus Augur

currently one of the ways I will pl a toon is to take the toon somewhere and let them beat the mobs till the mob is bout 35-40% and then i will finish the mob off with my 120(thats outside of group). this way the toon i am pling gets the kill credit/xp and stuff dies faster.
    Vumad and kizant like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that is why people have suggested that the FTE rule is designed for TLP servers and might not be the one they bring to live servers.
  6. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Nothing else in the proposed ruleset is groundbreaking enough to even be mentioned in the interview JChan did with Kitt. This is the experiment that she said might effect live. The little bonuses, are just the carrot, and a pretty pathetic one to get us to take the stick. Muddying the waters on that is just naive.

It's pretty obvious this is the thing they want to bring to live, be worried. Give your feedback for or against. But lets stop pretending the big change their excited about might just be giving a 10% bonus per fully leveled alt to "regular xp" on another alt you won't play!
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what I read in the quotes of that it was talking about something that had not been done in Everquest before and the legacy character xp qualifies for that. From what I am reading into the FTE that is to solve a problem that only exists on TLP servers.
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Look man, I get it when you advocate for the 5% of players might not like this position. That's a noble thing to do, and it puts you at odds with most of the community, but you've taken that as your role and thats fine. But this is a bad take. Are you being purposefully obtuse, or just shilling and trying to do damage control for DB? They F'd up bad here, they need to do their own damage control. Your supposed to represent us on the crc not the devs interests.

I'm sure I've violated forum rules or decorum somehow in this post, so feel free to have it removed.
  9. Metanis Bad Company

Devs need to design and release a new game item. Panty Untwister.
    Rijacki and Warpeace like this.
  10. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Fixed it for you ;)
    Metanis and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  11. Evertrek Augur

sounds like they are trying to port a library from EQ2 with the target lock situation. they need to also add the "Help" request to open the locked encounter to anyone.....
  12. Baulkin Augur

I'm surprised more people are not talking about ping advantage when it comes to FTE. Someone in California with Fiber has a huge advantage over someone in Boston on Fiber... let alone someone in Europe.
    Joules_Bianchi and code-zero like this.
  13. Windance Augur

The biggest advantage you have is running software to make you target and attack before anyone with human reflexes can.
    kookoo likes this.
  14. Tappin Augur

That's because it's not really for TLPs. They are using TLP to beta test something for live servers - They want to remove what makes EQ unique and fun - the ability to assist others below you, the very heart and soul of the game. After these changes, EQ will be EQ in name only.
  15. Strife Lorekeeper

People on live don't really have a dog in this race outside of PLers. When's the last time you live players really raced against anyone for open world targets?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It sounds like FTE is designed to help deal with the issues that can cause extra work for the CS department on the TLP servers during the early years.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

The ability to help lower levels isnt unique to EQ, and the times Ive seen someone run up and help kill a mob I can count on my left toe. If helping lower levels is something that needs more love I think the way to do it is remove the level difference cap - that way people wouldnt need to find workarounds to it such as out of group powerleveling.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Strife Lorekeeper

This will literally cause more petitions and reports than the CS department has ever seen...

you can't be serious
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How can you make that claim when we don't know the full details of this new rule set?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Strife Lorekeeper

Asking things like this, shows me you do not understand TLP's at all. My guy TLP's on launch are toxic for anyone who raids as it is. Batphoning culture is extreme.

The TLP player / raider will do ANYTHING to secure a win. Weaponize petitions, batphone their members at 2am, find creative ways to abuse encounter lock, editing logs, editing screenshots.

You. Do. Not. Understand. TLP's. That is why I'm saying live players really have no dog in this race. You fundamentally do not understand how toxic TLP's can become and how this will absolutely be abused against the average player.
    Trident, Vumad and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.