Encounter locking - coming to live?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

With the low player base on test that would just ensure that it doesn't get the testing it needs from having a high number of players interacting with each other. Not to mention we have no idea about how many of the abuses have already been addressed by the devs in their planning.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Well thats obviously not happening.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually there is nothing disturbing about his faith. He just wants to see how they intend to roll it out and exactly what the mechanics will be.

I think its great that folks are posting their concerns. From what I understand the devs are reading our comments and discussing all this. Expressing concerns is fine but getting worked up before we know the details of the system doesn't make sense to me.

In a perfect world they would be letting us know exactly how they are planning for the system to work and then opening it up for discussion. I think they jumped the gun on announcing this as a new TLP mechanic and should have started a discussion group with players to go over it. That should have happened before they announced a rule set for a new server. They are either very sure of how to implement the rule set in a manner that will avoid many of the problems folks foresee or yeah they are being a bit dumb. Focus groups with players BEFORE announcements like this make sense. For whatever reason they still seem to be afraid of giving out info. Not sure any game companies are looking at EQ to steal ideas but I could be wrong.
    Waring_McMarrin and Nennius like this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I'm sure it's not a fear of other game companies taking an idea that most modern games have implemented in one way or another, but it is the way some forum posters react with any bit of information. Asking the opinions of the forum posters would also encourage even more entitlement with pronouncements about what NEEDS to be done. If there are decisions not to implement something in a specific way that matches exactly to the contradictory view points of different posters, there is outcry about how DB never listens to any players, the game is going to sunset if it's not changed to exact the way that poster wants, etc. including personal attacks on DB staff, CRC members, other forum posters, etc. Pretty much what we have now with the announcement that also allows for forum posters to respond.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The problem is this is the only TLP server this year and the majority of TLP players don't want it with FTE. If they cannot get enough players on it to make it worth while there is no point in releasing it. There have been more players asking for a PVP TLP server, which they have said they don't want to do as not enough want it, than players saying they would play on this FTE server.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We don't know that is a majority of the players don't want it or not, just that there are some vocal players that are complaining about it without having all the details. The fact is that we don't know how many people are interested in this server and have no reason to join in the threads that are complaining about the new server.

Really there shouldn't be a need to have a new server for everyone ever year. And the issue with the PvP server is they have existing servers that show that there is no interest in that but they have nothing to show that there is no interest in this server. All they have is people complaining and demanding a new server because it wasn't what they were hoping for. At the very least we should wait until they release more of the details so that we get a better picture of what the the rules and goals of this server are.
  7. filthytlpplayer Elder

Totally agree with this. Yearly releases on these are way too frequent given how big of a game we're talking about as far as expansions go. A single server that wipes/resets yearly and progresses through PoP or OoW or some "most popular set stopping point" would serve the same purpose as the current yearly release for a large subset of players and allow for the status quo rerolling playstyle to continue. Such a server could implement some lightweight legacy bonuses for sticking with it through multiple resets like titles or ornaments or whatever.

As it stands it's unrealistic to expect a guild starting out on a new TLP server to last until the server reaches live, exacerbated by the fact that every year more of the remaining players on a "legacy TLP server" are poached by the new release. For players that want to progress through the entirety of the game, that's not a realistic expectation for the most part, and kind of adds an asterisk to the "progression server" concept.
  8. Strife Lorekeeper

Idk, this is about as much an abomination as truebox. In that exactly like truebox it will punish legit players more than it will punish griefers.

Do with it as you will I guess >.<
  9. Laronk Augur

This might not even be the feature that is going live, it might be the alts with alt experience thing. I'm not opposed to this feature being turned on on the test server first but there's no reason they can't test a new feature on a new tlp. This feature might even end up being 100% trash with how it interacts with everquest.

We also don't get to see what the petition rate is on TLP for kill stealing or people hogging content (ae pl), we don't have the ability to correlate these people petitioned about kill stealing and then unsubbed 3 weeks later. We don't know if this is just the parent company trying to make everquest more modern in some kinda messed up way or if this is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Like I said above I have faith that it's going to need to be patched numerous times.. Personally I would prefer another random loot server or this "FTE" combined with the random loot/ free trade because then I don't have to fight for specific camps. I normally don't get KS'd a lot in a TLP cycle and I played on the early TLPs like ragefire where I got to see raid mobs instantly die after a multi day poop sock.

Honestly when people start training or contesting camps I usually I try to find another place to xp or farm loot. people who are 6 boxing or have a good premade or what not can easily deal with KSers or go out and tout the DPS race wins stuff because they have an optimal group and can blow stuff up. If you don't have a premade group and don't box it's a different story when any jerk can come along and kill steal you.

When I'm soloing if i were to be contested I really do prefer my option of making a macro and using an autofire macro on my keyboard
    1. /target a_frenzied_ghoul
    2. /pet attack
    or
    2. /doability 1
    3. /attack on

That is going to do the same thing as people who are using 3rd party software where they target stuff before it even renders on their screen, well not quite as well there's no logic in this but you could have this key auto jamming while you're fighting something else even and it will switch to this target once it spawns.

The difference with someone who wants to kill steal vs someone who wants to contest FTE is people who have enough dps just know they're going to win where trying to contest a FTE spawn I still have a chance and me having a chance alone might be enough for that greifer to decide it's not worth their time to challenge me on the spawn. Sure they might not have to have their full group there and they could farm more spots in theory.

Do I think FTE should be on live? probably not though again we can't see how many petitions there are and maybe this is just a bigger problem then we think it is. Maybe zone disruption from PLing is still a major headache like on live where I pull x mobs and the whole zone starts hitching and the mobs can't follow you anymore is an issue.
  10. code-zero Augur

Ping is going to be the factor, not imaginary 3rd party software. Low ping, low latency and a good connection will win the tag the vast majority of the time. That's my issue, not all the claptrap that's been spewed so far. Unfortunately I'm afraid the trainers on TLP are going to have the effect of screwing up Live yet again.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If this is the feature that they talked about wanting to move to live servers but we don't know if that is the case yet.
  12. Tappin Augur

You can have the best ping in the world, but you're not going to consistently beat someone with a decent connection and automation. They literally have the mob targeted prior to it properly spawned into the zone.
  13. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

And how is that different when it's a DPS race? They would have it targetted and start doing the DPSing before you could see it. It doesn't change their cheating in the slightest.
  14. Tappin Augur

It depends on your setup vs theirs. At least have a shot at putting up more DMG, but once someone else has the encounter locked, you no chance.
    kizant likes this.
  15. strongbus Augur

any chance of a dev coming in and answer a few questions. or those who play eq2 if you know.

how dose this effect trying to break up groups of mobs? Ie I play both bst and necro. when I am breaking up mobs its tag a mob drag a way form the came with friends and use fd to slowly break 1 or 2 off from the bigger group.

or my wife used a bard with fade. with this kinda thing destroy these ways of breaking up camps or such?
  16. Brickhaus Augur

Are you playing one of the toons out of group?

Because as far as I understand, single group play will be unaffected by any of this. Only when outside group actors are involved does "weird stuff" happen.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and code-zero like this.
  17. code-zero Augur

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a bunch of exploits that depend on having someone OOG. Seems like there's a lot of concern about not being able to do "things"
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. strongbus Augur

Additionally, this server will be our first attempt at encounter locking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. If an actively locked NPC loses aggro for a short time period, the NPC will go home, reset, then unlock.

the bolded part is what i am talking bout. How will that effect trying to split mobs by using say a bards fade or a necro fd to lose aggro. can i do it as normal or say I am using pefect fd that drops aggro instance how long do i have retag after losing agro before i can't tag until they go home and reset.
  19. Brickhaus Augur

Ah. I think I understand the concern.

Yes, you should be able to do it normally. The reset part just doesn't matter as long as everyone involved in the splitting is in the same group. The reset/going home part is just the normal activity of any mob that you pull. So FD/fade splitting mobs can still be done.

Again, the only part that would change is if someone involved is outside the group.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

EQ2 has grouped encounters and single encounters that might be standing in a group. If they're grouped, they cannot be split by feign, fade, lull, etc. because agroing one brings them all (mezz is the only way you can bring them one by one). If they're singles that are standing near each other, you can split them with feign, fade, lull, etc. in the same way you do in EQ. Grouped encounters are not part of FTE nor is the EQ2 ranking of encounters. I don't expect either of those to come to EQ.