Encounter locking - coming to live?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Windance Augur

Taken from the TLP announcement

"this server will be our first attempt at encounter locking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. If an actively locked NPC loses aggro for a short time period, the NPC will go home, reset, then unlock."

I hope this is not the feature they are suggesting coming to live from TLP as hinted at in one of the EQ live shows.

I like being able to help others while out of group. Makes it so I'm not sucking off XP. If this feature is applied to all mobs its a fairly huge change.

If it does come to live, I hope its only applied to world level bosses/names.
    Herf likes this.
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Hopefully it is the alt bonus.
  3. Pops Racer Olde Faht

It won't come to Live until all the issues have been worked out on the TLP server.

...I hope.....
  4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Exactly! Just like Beta and Test.
    Tatanka, Silvena and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  5. Cadira Augur

I'm not sure what exactly it hopes to achieve if released on live servers.

....or even tlps? Maybe something with open raid targets or something? Idk.

Help me make it make sense, someone.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  6. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Lvl 120 sees Talendor.
    <casts spell or Range attack>
    Talendor: Dies.

No reason for a lockout there. :p
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

CRC...
    MasterMagnus and Loup Garou like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If this feature is the one they talked about possibly being used on all servers I think it would depend on how it works out in the TLP server.
    minimind likes this.
  9. Pops Racer Olde Faht

I do not see anything in the Producer's Letter that says Encounter Locking is going to Live.

I support trying of new ideas with the game, and limiting it to a TLP is the right way to do it.
    We'll give it a year and see where it stands. If the implementation stinks, it won't go to Live.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  10. Windance Augur

I can see how this can be used to mess with people. Don't like someone in "your" camp. Pop mobs with a 1 pt thing, FD, stand up hit stone throw, FD, etc.
  11. Riou EQResource

It was more of an if the rule set is well received and Live players wanted it
    minimind and Pops Racer like this.
  12. Alnitak Augur

Out of group PL will die off with Encounter Locking.
    That will be the day to see.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  13. Loup Garou De loop de loop

That was my first thought. No way to PL someone out side the group if they can't cast or tap the mob. This is so not needed on live and I hope they don't go this route.

Live and TLP are totally different servers and usually most players prefer one over the other. Let TLP have this if that is what they wanted (I don't remember this being asked for) but we do not want this on live.
  14. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

"We're going to be trying new things"

Oh, you're going to go the newMMO route and give everyone who engages mobs a share of the experience, un-flusterclucking loot tables and streamlining certain aspects of the game?

Oh. No. The exact opposite. Okay then.
    Tyranthraxus and FYAD like this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

New TLPs have a reputation of not respecting camps. Kill stealing becomes a bit too normalized ruining the fun of a lot of folks. New TLPs where everyone needs gear are cash cows for RMT folks. Being nice and respecting a camp usually takes a back seat to $. At least that is my guess as to what its all about.

Not sure why it would come to Live I dont see nearly the same degree of problem. In general most folks on Live respect camps.
    Vewdue and Cadira like this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The way the TLP players are reacting to it, I don't see it staying in for the launch of the new TLP.

I'm disapointed this got passed the CRC if they had any input on it.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

So many ways to grief with this idea. Should have used a variation of Ragefire for the name of this server, there will be a lot of rage...
  18. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

if EQ keeps being WoW, we may as well just play WoW

For like 10+ years now, it feels like some EQ devs are really wanting to go work on WoW, but didn't get the job.
    Vilamaru likes this.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It's not the TLPs it's the Krono farming.
    /giggle
  20. MustardonWatermelon Elder

It's also fairly common for live players to have a sense of entitlement to a camp that they should have no right to. It's not uncommon for a person on live to send passive-aggressive tells, messages in ooc, or even tells to other people in someone's guild just because they felt their "territory" was being encroached on, even if it was absolutely not.

I'm assuming darkpaw is sick of dealing with the complaints about it on all servers and is "experimenting" with this first-to-engage business even though we all know it is going to have the exact opposite outcome they think it will.
    ForumBoss and Joules_Bianchi like this.