Critique of Changes to Monks for August

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Aug 7, 2016.

1. segap Augur

Well played monks are right on the heels of rogues and can pull off parse wins vs. rogues at times. Perhaps if you played your monk more than occasionally, you'd realize the potential.

You can't compare discs between rogues and monks. Rogues are balanced around having discs up all the time. A rogue not using a disc has horrendous dps. Knifeplay exists because the autoattack dps of rogues was way behind that of other classes and apparently they thought it better to give a long duration disc than to increase base damage and deal with how that would stack with our burn abilities. Honestly, it's an anchor I'd rather not have. If anything happens to disrupt your disc cycle, you're out of luck potentially for 2-3 minutes. You can't use breather with it running, which makes recovering endurance more of a pain if you die or there's an endurance drain. Rear arch for rogues is still very important. I lose about 20% dps when not behind.

Assassinate is only useful if you're doing content from the previous level cap. In current content (group and raid), it's not a relevant measuring stick between the classes.

Monks are in a pretty good spot right now. Like every class, they could use a tweak or two, but the sky is not falling and they don't suck.
  2. 4kix78 New Member

I'm going to set aside political correctness for a moment here and be completely open and honest.

I main a rogue and have recently decided to give the monk a play-through. My daughter chose to play a rogue. We're both around 50 at the time of this post. I'm hitting for 40-50 and she's procing 1800s. She is having a blast, and I'm so glad she's there or these simple yellows would take forever, if it were even possible. On the other hand, I kinda feel like taking another long break from EQ.

Monks suck. They're a nuisance to every group they're in, they can't pull nearly as well as they think they can, their parses are pathetic, and they just aren't as fun and interesting to play as they should be.

Let's stop with the argument that it depends on who's playing the monk. We've been at this nearly 20 years now. We get it. Your monk isn't where it should be, and it's not your fault.

Does anyone remember back in the GoD/Omens era when monks were actually starting to look useful, but then they were all suddenly banned? Only later did we learn they had found a way to hack the delay on their abilities. Think about that. Even hacking their @$$#$ off they were barely getting any attention. Spotting a monk these days is like finding Quillmane. The point is, monks don't need some fine tuning, they need a complete major overhaul.

Monks need something drastic & special to rekindle interest and provide real utility. Just off the top of my head: You could start with something equivalent to Rogue's poisons, like holy-books or scriptures or even revelations granted after time spent meditating, all of which would grant some very healthy damage and utility procs for a duration. They could also use some kind of "One" ability that sets their faction to amiable with absolutely everything in the game, so as to be like hide+sneak but may require they walk, slowly. Furthermore, they need damage. If they did twice the base damage they do now, it would still be less than my rogue. What about a reconciliation/forgiveness ability that memblurs?

How about something like "Orders". Order of the Lotus, of the White Elephant, of the Dragon, whatever. Each order providing even more utility and benefit, like an innate ability to levitate or enduring breath. A special robe and headband or something from each.

And what's up with bind wound? Can you add a zero or two to the end of the amount healed with it? I regenerate faster sitting down than using bind wound. Finally we come to the weapon/armor issue. Boring! More robes, way more interesting staves & staffs with intriguing lore, and that don't require a raid. Or quests that actually adjust your empty-handed dmg/dly ratio to the point of absolute must. This is like 2 minutes of brainstorming. I trust the devs, if they would take a personal interest and get excited, could come up up a whole bunch of great ideas that aren't game-breaking, but enhancing.
  3. Minato Augur

Monks doing bad since patch? i seen a slight decrease but nothing game breaking to make me want to main change
  4. MrMajestykx Augur

what rock did you crawl out from under? you main a rogue you any good? raid much>? monks are a nuisance, cant pull and pretty much in your astute assessment should just be eliminated as a class it would seem. why dont you go ahead and take that break you spoke of and we ll see ya soon.
  5. p2aa Augur

Level 50 comparison and you come to the conclusion that monks suck versus rogues ?
    To have a more accurate idea of DPS comparison, compare both classes at lvl 105 yet, and this will be only a first step.

If you're a nuisance to every group you play, don't know how to use your tools to pull, and parse pathetic, i guarantee you that it it depends on who's playing the monk, and it's not a class issue.

Honestly this kind of post is like giving you a stick to beat you with.
  6. MrMajestykx Augur

oh yeah forgot the part that your level 50 you really wanna make me laugh with that awesome assessment, it IS all about the who is playing the toon, not some noob rogue thinking he knows all the nuances and such to playing a monk. Truly learn and excel at a class before you come here with a blanket comment, a true lack of understanding and overall lack of knowledge of ANY class, not just dissing on mine. Have a good day.
  7. Picaresque Augur

That could have been refreshing, but alas, it was not. It read more like a troll post by someone who created a forum ID expressly for that purpose (i.e., two messages to the credit of the ID).

You did manage to rile a couple of long-time members, which surprised me as they really should have seen the post for what it was and just ignored it.

As for the rest of your post, I'm ignoring it.
    MrMajestykx likes this.
  8. MrMajestykx Augur

Sometimes Pic, although your right on this one, I just gotta blow someone up for what they are. A noob. Troll works too tho :p
  9. JPete Lorekeeper

Yeah, but he wasn't wrong that Monks mostly suck these days though.

Why would anyone want a Monk on a raid? They offer nothing, but sub-par DPS compared to Berserker and Rogue.

All you have to do is look at Rangers and Beastlords to see sub-par DPS, but with amazing desirability to a raid group.

If Monks aren't going to be brought up to at least match Rogues (with a chance of beating them), then they need something unique that makes them desired in a Melee group within the Raid.

It really is that simple. Up the DPS or give them something unique and desirable.
  10. Minato Augur

Rangers and bst are sub par also now?
  11. Cicelee Augur

I think it should be mandatory that anyone who posts on these boards do so with their character name and server. So that we can find these anonymous players in game and smack them with a wooden stick when they make asinine comments....
    MrMajestykx, Kobrah, Brohg and 3 others like this.
  12. JPete Lorekeeper

When compared to Berserker / Rogue, yes.

If either of those two classes didn't bring other things to the raid there would be zero point in having them in a raid. Just simply stack the higher parsing classes.

This isn't a hard concept to understand.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Kaliko Augur

Actually well played Rangers/Beasts can absolutely destroy melee on sustained and even sometimes burns.....the only times the melee were winning was when there was a ton of adds to AE burn. We've had well played beasts pull 500k+ burns on grummus over 80+s and sustains well over 150k on most events and same for rangers( though maybe not so much on short burns).
  14. Minato Augur

What kaliko said
  15. JPete Lorekeeper

And if that happens, then that makes Monks even worse off, which goes back to them needing a DPS boost OR some type of desired raid group utility.
  16. kyong Augur

Could someone tell me when Thunderkick starting proc'ing on flying kicks triggered from ripostes? I don't recall this ever being the case for some reason but was seeing it tonight just standing there with attack off. I remember when thunderkick was able to be twin proc'd that I was sure it wasn't firing off of riposted flying kicks. Definitely a nice change and how I would expect it to work with my rogue firing assassinates off ripostes. Now if only massive strikes would fire off of riposted backstabs... and twin proc..

Would be nice for monks to get a version of massive strike re-occurrence. Call it whatever you like. Echoing Thunderkicks.
  17. Thraine Augur

all you guys saying that monks suck must be playing a different game than me, cause most of the time im wishing i could DPS like a monk.

and if your guys are unhappy with the monk, the solution is simple. just main change to a Zerker, you'll love being blind, snared and half life all the time just to make a parse :p
  18. Picaresque Augur

There is raiding, group play and soloing parts to this game. My monk has no problems with the last two and occasionally raids with no issues. Groups are happy with her pulling and DPS and emergency tanking. Soloing is sort of fun at times. As for raiding, there is more to being a desired player in raids than how much your toon can DPS.

But then, there is more to life as well. Enjoy or not.
  19. segap Augur

Sometimes the solution lies with the the player and not the game.
    MrMajestykx likes this.
  20. MrMajestykx Augur

just what sources do you have Jpete? do you raid at all or get out much? I doubt that you do stating your absurd comments of dps encompassing the classes you mention. I believe you have spent too much time in the glue tent....get out and breathe a little get some oxygen.