Cornering the market out of control.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by YellowBelly, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Millianna Augur

This isn't an different than a pharmaceutical company purchasing a drug many people with chronic diseases use and jacking up the price 400% and claiming that the invidual patient won't be impacted. Marketing up individual items on the market and or buying out the product and selling it at a inflated because of inflated krono prices is d head move and impacts new and returning players even if you choose to ignore it.
  2. Thrillho Augur

Prices are related to time. If I come across an item by chance (not farmed), I've effectively spent zero time acquiring it and would expect the price for it to be fairly low. If I go out and actively farm an item (kraken eye) and find that it takes hours, if not days, the price is going to impact it.

I'm not going to go spend hours and hours farming a kraken eye only to sell it for 4pp because "well, that's what it went for last week when no one wanted it." I spent my time farming an item, and my time is worth xpp.

It's a self correcting system. People are realizing what their time is worth and charging / paying for it.
  3. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

There were consequences for that company (which was actually doing illegal things not related to that particular drug) and other companies that saw a way to make money and still take care of those patients stepped into that market. I can play by the rules and not give a about those patients, but saying/showing that is bad for business when information moves so quickly. Are those other companies wrong for making money selling things people will die without? Are those companies wrong for leaving that market to a single player in the first place?

Krono prices (17.99 USD) have not moved since Daybreak introduced them? Do you mean the Krono to platinum exchange rate is not to your liking? New and returning players are literally handed everything they need and more to play the game. If they want nicer stuff, absolutely, the prices might present a slight problem for them but they can still go play the game and get the "best" stuff. Nobody, even a brand new player needs to be rich or even buy a single item in the bazaar to "win" EverQuest.
  4. Millianna Augur

The plat rate for Krono was about 1 million 2 years ago. Now they are selling for 2.6 million. If you want to act stupid and ignore this or make assumptions about what I said that is your problem. Every time the Krono plate rate inflates so does the bazaar prices of anything that actually sells. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with time spent.
  5. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

You wound me, madam. :rolleyes: I may not be acting!

I will agree to disagree with you on just about everything discussed on this topic.
  6. Millianna Augur

Well good luck to your then. If current Krono plat rate continues as it is, it's not going to be sustainable to use this method to pay sub fees. The game will be a better place at that point.
  7. Thrillho Augur

What is your time worth?

At $17.99 per krono, as stated above, will get you 2.6 million plat, as stated by you. Not in the game right now, but I think Xegony's rate for Befouled Pelts is something like 5kpp per. That'll be 520 pelts.

How long is it going to take you to farm 520 pelts? Lets say 20 hours. That'll be 26 pelts per hour, or 30 for simplicity's sake. That's 1 every 2 minutes. How fast can you kill? One every 30 seconds? So at a drop rate of 1 in 4, you'll meet your goal in 20 hours. I think they're a bit more rare than 1 in 4 though, so you'll be at it for a lot longer.

On the other hand, lets go with a job at McDonald's. Minimum wage in the US is $7.25/hr, according to Google. In 20 hours, you could gross $145 - enough for 8 kronos, or 20.8mil pp. You would only need to work $17.99/7.25 = ~2.5 hours to buy 520 pelts that takes 20 hours to farm.

Want to go with vendor fodder? 2.6 mil pp in blue diamonds at 252 pp per (I think?) is ~10,300 blue diamonds. How fast can you farm them? Faster than 2.5 hours at McD's?

Lets go with a rare. I think they're going for something like 5-10 kronos, depending on which one you get, right? Lets say 8 kronos, considering the math for that is done already. At 1 in 4000 kills, (I forget the actual rarity of them) you need to kill 200 mobs per hour for 20 hours to get to 4000 kills. Are you killing 200 EoK mobs in 1 hour (3.3 per minute)?

There is a time aspect to everything we do. As I said before, some items have been increased in price because the time to acquire it has been increased. Kraken eyes, as said before, would have been a chance encounter when doing something else. Time wasn't spent acquiring them. But now it is. Bazu bones. Murkglider blood. Ice of Velious. This works for any item in the game.

It is time based. Yes, there was a massive inflation between the IPO of Krono and what their current value in plat is today. I'm certain there is a greed aspect to it, a lot of it is going to be time based. People are realizing what their time is worth. Again, what is your time worth to you? That's not a rhetorical question. I seriously want an answer. If you're trying to say there should be a cap on krono, a limit on sales, a system in place from the devs to cap market values, you need to answer this question.

If I got OT at work, I might consider working a bit of it to spare myself the headache of grinding out some more tradeskill crap for the artisan's aug.

Frankly, I'm surprised the pp to krono rate is so low.
    svann likes this.
  8. Millianna Augur

I can mass kill anything TDS and below - take a a little more DPS to mass kill EoK. I can spend 30 killing a few names that across a few zones and easily make 500k. You exaggerating the time it takes to get stuff. I don't support people who don't pay by traditional means and will not sell a Krono for plat. If you're are ok with high plat rate for Krono then let's see how long you can sustain it.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  9. Thrillho Augur

So you've got the means to farm plat to buy krono (or gear) in a relatively quick amount of time, but you want to cap the price of items? I don't get it. Your plat stores would need to be dropped if everything was capped, which means by a % you're still paying the same amount for items from the baz. And you're still getting the same amount of plat by a % for your farming efforts. Your time spent remains the same.

If you don't want to use kronos, don't use them. I don't use them. I don't buy them nor sell them. I've received a few, either from rare trades or from PLing, but I'm more or less out of the krono market. They're rotting in my inventory, along with my plat. The price could increase 100-fold and I wouldn't care. I just pay for my subscription like I've done for years. Anything I need in game I'll farm, or if I'm not wanting to put forth the effort I'll purchase from the baz. Anything I come across while I'm playing I'll either hand out to friends / guildies, or sell in the baz on a mule.

I don't think I'm exaggerating the time to get items. There are some items that can drop rapidly, but the EoK rares certainly don't fall into that category. A lot of TS items don't either.
  10. Millianna Augur

I don't want a cap on items. It's not a feasible request. We cannot get a level change and asking them to add plat and krono cap is never going to happen. All I am suggesting is 1) heroic toons to 100 and or 2) gear for every 5 levels on the market place 85+ that includes jewelry for 1000 to 1500 DB cash on the market. You can go ahead and price guage on the rest. The start up price for new or returning players is too much.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

That's just not true, and you don't understand the the U.S.'s pharmaceutical problems. U.S. law gives U.S. pharmaceutical companies unfair monopolies (which is why you can buy the same drugs in other countries for pennies). Nothing in EQ gives another player a monopoly over other players. Every player is on equal footing. Well...at least in the sense that anybody can use any computer they want and can use any software they can get away with.

The point is, there is no law preventing you from going out and farming items and selling them for whatever price you want. Nothing is preventing you except your laziness (and maybe the fact that you spend all your time complaining instead of playing).
    svann likes this.
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

What you are proposing is more expensive than the currently available methods. Which I detailed for you earlier in this very thread. Are you running on a script?
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You know, people can go out and kill some stuff right? No one needs to BUY STUFF! Your argument is nonsense.
    Genoane likes this.
  14. Millianna Augur

Most new or returning players end up subing for auto grant. They don't really need a suit of new gear until 90 or 95. By that time most have enough DBC to afford the gear. Can you please tell me why you want to target new players with sky high prices on F2P gear? There's absolutely no reason for this nonsense.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Can you please tell me why one cannot kill some mobs along the way and get some gear instead of buying it? It's pretty easy. In fact, it's more fun.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

So fix it. Farm up the relevant gear and sell it for what you consider a reasonable price. You make some plat and get to feel good about helping out the new/returning players.

Or you can talk with them when you see them in OOC or something like that, hook em up with a little mentorship and companionship and a: earn a friend, b: Get them to stay in the game. You can also spend your useless to you excess coins and get them whatever gear they need. (perhaps helping them spend their plat wisely, by helping them hunt the easy stuff).

It's a social game. The later interaction is far more likely to keep a new/returning player around than anything they could do in the bazaar to artificially limit prices. You put a price cap on defiant gear for example? Well now they're really screwed, because nobody will sell it.
  17. Millianna Augur

Use one of your free heroic toons, level to 92, and go to RoF and try to 2 box a name. Your going to get smoked. Yes, you can get a group every once in while, but that's not good enough to get gear in a reasonable amount of time. Now what is wrong with offering gear on the exchange? They do it until 75. There's no reason not to.
  18. Millianna Augur

I cannot fix it. I cannot prevent people from buying it out and reselling it. The gear I don't want goes in the guild bank.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Sure you can. Farm more sell more. Have fun. They will give up.
  20. smash Augur

And if you so keen on helping new players, but says you cannot sell in bazaar due to people buying and resell what prevents you from GIVING away? Can do that in POK & CR since thats where new players most likely to come first.
    svann likes this.