Cornering the market out of control.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by YellowBelly, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Ok, you got me with that joke of yours, i have to admit!
    I just "had" to log to check that claim about EoK gear not having type3 slots lol...
    Guess what?
    It does!
    Both EoK raid and group non-visible gear have type3 slots...

But 15k times 6 or so, depending on your class, isn't much spending, not much of a sink.
    Still...
    I group+play a lot, and - even though you are right in that there is a LOT of vendor trash loot - i still "make" the most of my plat from bazaar sales, not vendor trash.
    And i buy spells for my silver account's characters, which IS a plat-sink.
    (But you are right for the RK2s, but that only applies to gold accounts naturally.)
    If someone were to "fund" his game by vendor-loot alone, he'd be in a loosing position from the start.

Well, yes and no.
    i am on a "mature" server, with loads of max-level population and according bazaar prices.
    That i *can* dump plat into an item doesn't mean i do.
    I boycott the "powersellers" and rather go farm my own drops (or get some from friends as a favor).
    Or i buy from sellers that belong to someone i know rather than powerseller/farmer XYZ, regardless of prices.
    Frankly, i rather pay 100k to someone selling from his "main" (or someone i saw do regular grouping with that char) rather than buy the same item for 50k from what is clearly a farming player's mule.
    Over time you get to "know" the so-called powersellers and who's most likely behind them.

But i am also never in a hurry to get the best type5's or finish collections first etc.
    I have far more pp than i "need" because as you say, it's not expensive to sustain a character.
    What MAKES it expensive is when you want to "buy time" with plat or kronos.
    And, sadly, for a returnee the "entry" into some half-way up-to-date gear is expensive.
    Which is why i take such people sometime to old zones with my main.
    I find it a rather sad development that we "expect" new players or returnees to buy gear at "our" prices and practically force them to buy a Krono from DB to convert it into PP for their initial upgrades.

This.
    Both sentences, sadly.
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Have to disagree here.
    It's NOT "law of human nature", only "law of economics".
    As a race, we humans are far more cooperative and unselfish than that, else we wouldn't be the top species on the planet.

Some are.
    I am for sure not a "cheap" trader.
    I price stuff at what i think it's worth, as said above (time in pp).
    Since that is totally subjective i sometimes end up pricing stuff "too high".
    And some stuff that is on my trader is actually intended for my ALTs, priced intentionally high.
    Happy enough to sell them at that price, if someone feels they "need" it.
    But i still don't enter other people's game of undercutting others (both as a seller AND as a buyer).
    And while i sell slowly at times, i do sell.

What i want to say with this is:
    There are more than purely economic motives out there for buying+selling.
    In RL too, but even moreso in a game with virtual currency.
    The "laws of economics" that some people are so fond of referring to, only apply in part and NEVER are set in stone.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  3. Millianna Augur

No ones forcing anyone to sell at a specific price. DB offering items in the cash shop is legitimate transaction. All it has the potential to do is prevent some of price gouging that targets new and returning players.
  4. Drusi Augur

My goodness, I am not asking for any specific player/seller names.

I want to know what items YellowBelly considers overpriced/manipulated. A single example would do.
    Otherwise it is hard to be sympathetic.

As in: on Zek one person is hoarding all the spiderling silks and selling them for 100pp a pop.
    This is a joke example btw, no hard feelings the remaining 3 players on Zek. :)
    Sheex likes this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

I find some gear to be unreasonably expensive. I sometimes think of looting it instead of marking it to never in advanced loot but then I realize so few people would want it it may never sell and eats bag space. (lower level defiant in particular)
    At first glance it makes no sense that lower level gear costs more often than higher level gear. But then when you figure very few people go to the lower level zones it starts to make sense. Supply and demand.
  6. Bamboompow Augur

The Baz on the Rathe is ridiculous. Not just for the gouging but for the range of pricing that placed further emphasis on the gouging. The same item can sell for 300000 and as low as 300 plat. No one is buying either offering. Probably because it is either in a guild bank /friends bank already or farmed in short enough time.
  7. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

If this were real and the seller listed them for 2,000,000 pp each, still not something Daybreak would need to address. Nobody is prevented from selling them at a lower price and the game still produces unlimited supply via mobs, just pay the price of time spent.

P.S. If I want to fill my my bazaar mules and houses with spiderling silk, I do not see how that should be any concern of yours! I like the way it feels against my skin.
  8. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

What is the problem here? You want items that nobody wants to buy removed from the bazaar?
  9. Millianna Augur

Just FYI - I am ot talking about defiant gear. There's comparable items in the market place. It's gear intended for 85+ that's the problem. As soon as TBM goes f2p, just watch those RoT currency get jacked up in price. I don't care about current content either (including the crafting aug). A simple solution would be to add more affordable stuff to the market place.
  10. Bobsmith Augur

Your right putting gear in the marketplace for real money is what should be done. I don't have the plat to buy lvl 85 gear for my heroic toons that come with gear. Hmmm, if only there were a zone that I could run to and kill mobs that dropped the gear they sell in the bazaar.....one can dream right.
    Numzan and Caell like this.
  11. smash Augur

And so what, it is not you that shall decide what people wanna put up for sale, is it ?
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

How you can make a mental connection like that and then NOT go and buy those RoT (Remnants of Tranquility) right now, while they are cheaper? Instead of complaining about the world, take part in it.

If you actually play in TBM, you will quickly realize that you will end up with a huge surplus of RoT by the time you finish the progression. I have never sold any in the bazaar, but I have given away hundreds of thousands of them to guildies. But, we can assume from your posts that you don't want to actually play and earn your gear (not judging, sometimes I don't either). So here are some facts about TBM gearing, to help you help yourself:

There are 22 gear slots per toon (including a 2h, 1h, and secondary). For a level 105 toon:
    22 pieces of gear from vendor = 150 RoT
    21 x 2 (number of augs) x 1250 RoT (cost of augs) = 55,000 RoT
    4 weapons require an additional 1000 RoT aug = 4000 RoT
    Grand Total to completely gear a naked lvl 105 toon = 59,150 RoT

Today on Bristlebane, RoT are selling for 19p each, or 19,000p per 1000 RoT. Kronos still sell for 2.4 million plat. In other words, $18 buys 2.4 million plat.

That means 60k RoT costs only 1,140,000 plat. That means $8.55 will fully gear a naked lvl 105 toon in gear that is fully adequate to begin playing in the latest expansion.

$8.55.
    svann likes this.
  13. smash Augur

I will be completely surprised if RoT goes up in Price, when people start doing the progression there, then the bazaar will be flooded with those.

I did a bit of progression with 3 characters, and each got around 45k. Thats 135k
  14. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Can you convert these calculations to Starbucks Frappuccinos? I can better reason about financial matters with pictures of Starbucks Frappuccinos.
    NameAlreadyInUse and Caell like this.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

But it is a concern to some people...they have to know everything....
  16. Millianna Augur

Have tou honestly read any of my post? Clearly not. I can easily earn 36k RoT per hour, but that's not the point. Someone new and progressing through the content that most will no longer play isn't going to be able earn 36k per per hour. There going need to buy the missing gear or purchase EoK 2 and get loot that way. The price of RoT on server is 30 pp per 1000.

I will never purchase a krono and sell for plat.
  17. Scorrpio Augur

SERIOUSLY? Have YOU read your own previous post? As in, advocating ability to buy gear with DBC? That is, currency you either buy for real $$ or accumulate over time by paying real $$ for a sub? A just starting lvl 85 is not going to have several thousand DBC for gear, so they would have to buy it.

Now please do explain how buying DBC(outright or via sub) and using it to buy gear differs from buying a krono, selling it and using plat to buy gear? Especially, given marketplace prices in general, the krono-plat-bazaar route is likely to be way, way, WAY cheaper. Case in point: when my heroic druid hit 92, I got her full set of fear touched plus all RoF(2k hp class) non-visibles for about 400k. Krono-wise, thats about $2.50, which would buy about 250DBC. What can you get for that? Not even a single weapon ornament, let alone a full set of lvl 92 gear.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  18. Millianna Augur

I'd rather get a discount on sub fees than get a DBC, but that's never going happen. I'm advocating 2 months worth of DBC for a full set of gear including jewelry. Daybreak has the ability to completely under sell the people that are price gouging and make it not worth it. I'm not at all interested in supporting anyone who is not interested to supporting the game will by traditional mens.
  19. Questoften32 Augur

False logic...more over there is no unselfish act. Doing so would require acting without motivation to do so.

As to the issue of greed, to new age people hypocritical greed and pretend disdain for excess..that and lust, seem to be the only two socially acceptable sins of the great god PC.

The rest are mainstream tribal taboos, in the cultural since, yet still prevalent even so.

Call me a cynic but the other guy had it right. As king Kai would say in dbz, they charge what the market will bare, and dim sum.
  20. Zhaunil_AB Augur

"would require acting without motivation to do so"?
    What crap is that?
    There are no cases of people helping other people in danger, SIMPLY because they see that someone is in danger then, right?
    Without the prospect of a reward and in disregard of their own lives?
    Like some stranger jumping into a reservoir or river to try save somebody ELSE's child,
    or the 3/4yr old picking up something an adult has dropped and is "incapable" of retrieving?
    (an experiment that is repeated often and always yields the same results in the same age-categories)

On flooding such as is going on in Texas, we humans as a race first ask "what's in it for me" before we offer shelter and food to those in need, right?

Man, your picture of what humanity is and what defines it seems to be WAY OUT!