Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balderdash Lorekeeper

So basically what you are saying is that you want to be max level and farming older easier content and you think that is what casual is.
  2. Gana Augur

Modifications I think would make the servers be more inline with their current labels:

Up the xp on Mangler to Selos level. Modify unlocks to open immediately when content is beaten with a parachute of 3 months to keep it from stagnating like Fippy (please, add unlocks to Fippy so it catches up to live...or just unlock everything). Copy Selos named spawns, reduced timers, etc. Start in Classic. Mangler becomes more Hardcore. Mangler will pass Selos before PoP opens.

Modify Selos unlocks to be more casual (8/12 week unlocks like Phinny). Selos becomes more casual.
  3. Kunfo Augur

Hi Daybreak, just wanted to give my own 2 cents on the new servers.

I will be playing on Mangler as the Selo's rules don't appeal to me as much, but I would prefer if the xp was at a rate slightly faster than Coirnav, with something else to mix things up (ie FV loot rules, 2 month unlocks, allowing some unlocked race/class combos)

Thanks for listening!
    practicalnurse likes this.
  4. yerm Augur

One option that would immensely help a server is a catch-up style system. This becomes especially critical on a mangler themed server intended for competition - make the initial rush a challenge, but let losers and latecomers bridge the gap somewhat before the next sprint.

Example: after a month, double the xp rate from 1-40. After kunark, from 1-50. After velious, 1-55. Introduce the boosted rares to each era the moment subsequent ones are unlocked - anyone trying to wrap up a quest or farmed drop gets it much easier on top of the crowd moving on, so they aren't stuck forever.

Regardless of how you define high ambition completionists with low playtime, hardcore or casual or whatever, in the end this large group cannot be easily lumped in the same place as either extreme ends. The high playtime race lovers will push too fast for them, and the low ambition / limited goal crowd will get bored at how slow they want it. I don't really care how you define this crowd, I call them hardcore and racers ultra hardcore, some call themselves casual just not ultra casual... who cares. Regardless of terminology, they need a very phinny-like experience. Since selo caters to their opposites, I very strongly recommend overhauling Mangler into a better-phinny experience for them. Let the current fans do selo as it stands. Rename them fast and slow servers to avoid that drama of terms for players.
  5. SuinegFoH Lorekeeper

That would take actual coding and not just toggles in a selection pool for rules.
  6. Risiko Augur

The cheater comment makes me laugh considering how many people cheated on Coirnav, and they've already been bragging about how they are going to cheat on Selo when it opens. Have fun with that.
  7. Izumar New Member

For Mangler, they could set the respawn rate of mobs globally to like half of normal. This would cause the server to have swarmy dungeons and ,though exp would be lower, you would have more mobs to kill and maybe it would level out if you can handle them.

Loot wise Selo's would have more rare mobs per spawn, but Mangler would have more spawns over all giving you more rares, quest mobs and loot in general.

Selo's would have less lockout on aoc and Mangler would have more open world mobs spawning, if people want to fight over them.

That is the quickest fix that i think would sort of count as giving Mangler a theme like Selo's has. There is some more risk and reward here.
  8. Xilbus Journeyman

Oh, you're not wrong here. 6 months was a really long time for Ragefire's unlock. I remember being so bored during Kunnark that I challenged myself to become the most beloved DE SK throughout Norrath by raising a bunch of factions up.

Having said that, this isn't about what went right or wrong on Ragefire. It's about the speed of the unlock's on Selo's.

One thought I had, was if SoL had a 2 month unlock to PoP and then 1 month for the remaining expansions after that. This would give folk time to get to 60, gain some AA's and raid through SoL more than 1-2x before PoP.
  9. ShivanAngel Augur

SoL will already be slightly over 6 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 days to be precise. also PoP will be for 3 full months. Plenty of time to catch up. There is still plenty of reason to raid luclin with PoP open as well.. Some of those vex thal/srra items are irreplaceable.

Not trying to argue, just pointing out that it is a decent amount longer then 1 month in luclin.
    Yinla likes this.
  10. Dawdle Augur

What I am saying is let go. Lol max lvl. When do I have time for that? Go RMT your plvls on somebody else's post.
  11. likestobox Lorekeeper

Having a super quick server unlock is also bad for people's health... all those overweight people are going to be so busy trying to stay caught up they will never leave there chairs, just stuffing there face non stop and pooping on them self..... come on DB make the unlocks longer sobthose people get some exercise.
  12. Dmitry Elder

My feedback (if you are still reading) is that I have not seen so many old school players so excited for a server start as we are for Selos as the rules stand now. I think it's the start into new zones that many have not done in years or maybe the speed of the releases and the knowledge that you won't get the three month burnout. Selos has attracted four very competitive large guilds to play already and I don't think recruiting will slow down much. I don't know about Mangler but you are certainly on to something with Selos.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. beefeater_dp Journeyman

To fix Selos:

Simply change the unlock rate to two months, and set the 3.5 day instance timer back to 6.5. This is a racing server, and with 3.5 day unlocks, this will mean that players will be raiding literally every day to maximize their loot potential (and yes, most of the raiding guilds will be doing this). It's going to cause serious burnout, and that server will not have long-term sustainability unless that is solved. Everything else is fine, and seems to be what most people are looking for in a TLP.

To fix Mangler:

You need to have exp be at least as good as phinny/coirnav for it to even have a shot. I believe most people would like to see it completely redone as a coirnav clone with equal or better exp, and FV ruleset starting in classic. Unlocks being 2-3 months is fine.

There would be enough diversity between these two servers that their populations should be healthy. As it stands, you're forcing 80+% of people to go to Selos, because most players won't touch a server with awful exp. Most of the crowd that only does Classic-Velious simply aren't going to play, as is.

A side note: In about 1 week, this thread has become the most viewed post in Everquest history (to my knowledge). Please fill us in DBG, lots of people are watching.
  14. Liviea New Member

I think it would be cool if Mangler had weekly/monthly Guide/GM events to make it different from the other Classic TL Servers. Maybe recreate some of the events from the earlier years of EQ if possible
  15. Barthorn Elder

Hardcore server should all be about racing to down bosses, racing to get max level and there should be incentives for doing that. Unlocks based on every class hitting max level and all bosses down in the current expansion. That's the reason for a hardcore server, but Daybreak is lazy, they just offer another copy paste server with slow exp and slow expansion unlocks? Mangler is actual trash, and it's not hardcore by any means. Being a hardcore player is all about the race and being the best. I don't see how daybreak hasn't figured that out by now.

Selos is actually the hardcore server, it has a ton of content to raid, and you have A MONTH to level, get aa's, and epics for the next expansion. There's actually nothing casual about it, anyone wanting to play casually would fall behind. It needs 3 month unlocks at minimum. But it's still just another copy paste server with fast EXP.

FV loot has to be added to both of these server's its just something fresh that everyone has been wanting for years. It's the 20th anniversary for Everquest it's just mind boggling that Daybreak isn't doing anything special with either of these servers.
  16. Thewiz Augur

Adding FV loot code to Mangler would be enough to get people playing there.
    Jontrann and Magic like this.
  17. Ishbu Augur

Couple more hours til the update of still reviewing feedback!
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'd love FV all loot trade-able.
    I hated the experience rate on Coirnav, quit after day 1.

Mangler wants slower experience than Coirnav. o_O

I might think about it for a day but my gut says pass.
  19. Ishbu Augur

Jokes on me
  20. Ceffener Augur

Patch day
    Ishbu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.