Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protagonist Tank

This. The vast majority of original EQ's actual difficulty (and it was very difficult) depended on obfuscation or even outright lies about game mechanics to keep players from min/maxing. Once the "how it works" became a known quantity, most of that difficulty just evaporated.
  2. Doze Augur

Let me repeat:
    Hardcore server = slow xp and fast unlocks
    Casual server = fast XP and slow unlocks
    Khale likes this.
  3. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

No one and I mean no one, is stupid enough to want slow xp, esp slower that coirnav was.

I don't care if this is a 20 hour a day player or a guy that logs in for a single hour.
    Risiko, Gana, Renshu and 5 others like this.
  4. Jontrann Augur

5. Umul Augur

XP pots remove the slow XP factor. Probaby why they lowered further than Coirnav. Lazy idea is lazy.
    Removing focus effects was a good start. If that's all they can do gameplay wise to make it challenging, than they should listen to their players and relabel Selo hardcore and Mangler needs to be reimagined as a casual slow pace server.

The worst part is, on their FAQ they associate Casual with Fast. That is an oxymoron IMO.
  6. Ceffener Augur

They also called it “Ultra-casual” before going to the “Casual”, “Fast”....which I agree the two contradict each other lol.
    Umul likes this.
  7. ShivanAngel Augur

Coirnav with a 25% pot running almost the entire time was barely tollerable.
  8. Umul Augur

was it challenging at least?
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Any idea how hard it is to convince your wife you just need 5 more minutes to log off... after you've already said it 9 times?
  10. ShivanAngel Augur

no grinding exp is not challenging, never has been and never was.

Finding a great spot and a good group is challenging, but grinding is not.
  11. Stagentti Augur

No.

Because anyone who has tried is no longer amongst the living :).
  12. Ginix Augur

Better not bend the knee Daybreak with the Selos server rules. Its fine and my friends and I are looking forward to playing on it. If anything change Mangler. Thx <3

PS: TRUEBOX IS GOLDEN. ALL YOU CHEATERS GO PLAY LOCKJAW OR FIPPY <3
  13. ShivanAngel Augur

Lol love you you dont play like I do so you are cheating mindset. Boxing is not cheating btw.

Also I will be boxing on selo's dust off your report key.
    Grok likes this.
  14. Doze Augur

Hey, it is perfectly acceptable to admit to not being hardcore enough to be able to keep up with 1 month unlocks while leveling on slow XP. But that would neverthless be the way to make a truly hardcore server - with slow XP and fast unlocks. Only the true elite would be able to keep up and do content in time before next expansion opened up.

Personally then I would also much rather slack on a true Casual server - with fast XP and 3 month unlocks.
  15. Xhieron Elder

This thread has already been around and around about what "hardcore" actually means, but ultimately I think that's the least important part of this whole debate.

That said, I'm with you on faster XP and a reasonable window to see content. I don't know if 3 months is optimal, but I know DBG is still trying to crack the code on how to make a TLP that can survive the transition to live with a playing population still intact. I suspect that's why 1 month was announced. All the same, I think a longer lead time becomes more desirable when combined with the Luclin (or any post-AA era) start. Three months of classic with fast XP and easy access to rares is a recipe for burnout. People who are going to gear up at the cap will do so with time to spare, and people who can't level and gear in one month might still not be able in three.

All the same, the deal-maker for me is the better XP and better loot access. The thing that has put an end to every TLP adventure for me has been burnout, once at 65 on Fippy and thereafter between 30 and 50 on Ragefire and Phinny--both of those while staring down the barrel of LGuk/Velk's/Grieg's (I tried Coirnav for all of an hour at launch before the XP rate noped me right the hell out of there, then tried it again last week and remembered that I still don't hate myself)--content I couldn't see myself doing for three months straight.

The hope of reliving fond memories of EQ without losing my family is a strong draw. I think my experience is probably typical for a lot of casuals. I say, "Not me--not this time. This time I'm gonna stick it out; I'm staying with this server until I've seen everything I missed when I quit back in 2003," only to realize a month later that I still have a job and family, and my frail middle-aged body demands sleep whether I like it or not. Then I log on one day and realize that the people I was grouping with last week are now ten levels higher than me. I spend a few days sitting outside Velk's LFG. Then I ask myself what the hell I'm doing with my free time, and I'm done again.

Well guess what I'm telling myself right now? The same damn thing. Right now I've got my dozen tabs open to review the merits and flaws of the four six classes I've narrowed it down to (druid, shaman, cleric, bard, beastlord, shadowknight, for anybody keeping score), I've been tinkering around with a tank merc on Phinny after resubbing last week and realizing Coirnav is a death wish, and my mantra is strong: THIS TIME! Yeah! This time we're gonna do it.

And maybe that's a lie. But I feel very strongly convicted that the best way to prevent that--the best way to avoid burning out in the slog between 30 and 50--is to simply play on a server that makes it as painless as possible. Selo as advertised seems like the best possible means to that end.

And if it can retain me--if I can make it over the hump to where I was on Fippy, cheerfully grinding out AAs on a regular basis and fighting gods until the real world intruded on me--then it can probably retain a lot of casuals, and whatever concessions they made for that are worth it.
    chumpy likes this.
  16. ShivanAngel Augur

All this thread shows is NO ONE can agree on the definitions of hardcore and casual.

Also simple fix

DBG " oh we mislabled the servers, mangler was supposed to be casual, with slower exp and longer unlocks and Selo's was supposed to be hardcore racing... I cant believe we mislabled them, no wonder everyone is annoyed".
  17. trollmind New Member

Caving in to demands to increase Manglers exp rate is just silly at this point. Because the reality is the server in THAT form already exists. It's called Phinigel and Coirnav.

The best argument for keeping Mangler slow exp is the very fact countless people know in their gut and won't admit. Almost EVERY player in every guild is done with content in less than 3 months on their main AND their alt EVEN on Coirnav with it's supposedly 'slow exp.'

The reality is that the slower exp is going to make the server more about the journey than the destination, as EQ is intended.

People forget that once you're 50 in classic there's no AA to grind. There's no huge gearing curve to catch up--nothing.

Then the game hits 60 and stays there for--3 expansions!-- so you literally have like a year to build level 1-60 characters. And you guys still think slow exp is a detriment to the game. ROFL. It's honestly absurd. Slower exp is EXACTLY what these servers need to keep people riding the journey longer.

If they don't cave in to these poorly constructed demands for fast exp every single time, they will realize the server will become popular because ultimately 1 year to build a level 1-60 character is achievable by even ultra-casuals,' but somehow everyone has it in their head if they aren't max level the first week of an expansion then there's something wrong with this game now.

Part of the real nostalgia of EQ that everyone seems to have forgot was that it wasn't a game that gave it to you fast and easy. It was painstakingly slow and grindy and that made you actually stop and smell the flowers. It meant you spent more time making more groups and going on more adventures. Meeting more people. Socializing more. You didn't just log on and grind to 50 to kill Nagafen so you could get back to work the next week.

The reality is that people are going to play on it, and polls on these forums mean nothing. Most players stopped posting on the forums years ago. Posters equal about 5% of the total population of TLP players at best, as someone pointed out in an earlier post. But nobody wants to really face this fact. They want to be 'heard.'

The proof? This post has what 30k+ views? How many posts though? And even those views don't represent the total number of people, because a lot of people aren't even reading this nonsense at this point.

Daybreak has access to better metrics regarding this stuff than you guys do. And they have already made Mangler with faster exp TWICE--Phinigel and Coirnav. I sincerely hope they just leave both servers alone at this point and roll the dice.
  18. ShivanAngel Augur

Trollmind, you forget that most of us have done the "Journey" 4-5 times already on multiple TLP's.

Whether its the "Intention of EQ" to be about the journey its not what its about for most of the palyers now...

PRogression servers are now about doing something new and different, something that they havent done 3-5 times already. For a lot of us its about the end game and raiding, not about slogging through the same 50 levels for the 6th time.
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous and Yinla like this.
  19. Ginix Augur

Reading hard for you or something?:confused:

I never said boxing is cheating, but most people who cry they don't like truebox are the same plebs that run around w/ software that scripts their 5 boxes on non-truebox servers. Hope you flag red on selos, beta boy. :mad:
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  20. ShivanAngel Augur

why would anyone flag red on everquest??

I said people like you run around with a mindset that boxing is cheating.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.